Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Cuts Force Indiana FFs to Work as Crossing Guards

8 posts in this topic

Why doesn't the mayor get out there and work as a crossing guard?

Cuts Force Indiana FFs to Work as Crossing Guards

Critics say response times will be delayed.

BY JENNIFER TANGEMAN

Pharos-Tribune, Logansport, Ind.

Posted: Thu, 01/07/2010 - 02:21

Updated: Thu, 01/07/2010 - 10:42

As of Tuesday, Logansport firefighters and police officers could add crossing guard to their job descriptions.

The 14 crossing guards previously employed by the city were let go two weeks ago as a result of budget cuts. Taking their place are on-duty firefighters and police officers.

And my favorite quote from the mayor:

The mayor noted that during negotiations, members of the fire department's negotiating team said firefighters would do anything to maintain their jobs.

http://www.firehouse.com/topics/careers/indiana-ffs-double-crossing-guards

"The mayor was referring to a predicted $2.3 million shortfall in property tax revenues for 2010. Cutting the 14 crossing guards should save the city $45,000."

P!ssin in the wind. Wait until the engine company that is scattered across town tending to the crosswalks gets a job with trapped occupants who burn because of the delay. The lawsuit will make the $2.3 mil look like..........lunch money.

P!ssin in the wind. Wait until the engine company that is scattered across town tending to the crosswalks gets a job with trapped occupants who burn because of the delay. The lawsuit will make the $2.3 mil look like..........lunch money.

Or they leave the crossing post to go to the fire and little john gets hit.....

Or they leave the crossing post to go to the fire and little john gets hit.....

Whatever happened to those tough guy 8th graders who wore the AAA badge and sash "Crossing Guard"? I guess they'd need guns today.....

Whatever happened to those tough guy 8th graders who wore the AAA badge and sash "Crossing Guard"? I guess they'd need guns today.....

I'm glad I kept my badge. I thought it might come in handy !!!!!!

post-1341-126291471217.jpg

efdcapt115 likes this

Isn't that the same one you wore in probie school at lunchtime?

Wth your little fold over red cross button !

"The mayor noted that during negotiations, members of the fire department's negotiating team said firefighters would do anything to maintain their jobs."

As much as I think this is absurd I have to ask if members of the negotiation team say they would do anything to keep thier jobs what leg do they have to stand on? Did they kind of dig thier own graves? Did they actually say they would cross kids or did the mayor take thier statement out of context. As a member of a negotiation team I feel you have to be careful what you say to management. They will construe what you say to thier advantage. I wish these guys luck and hope for a favorable solution. What next...plows on fire trucks? Fixing potholes? Meter reading?