Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dadbo46

NYC Proposes to Remove Fire Alarm Boxes

19 posts in this topic

Bloomberg wants to stamp out costly city fire alarm boxes, but union says it's a dangerous move

BY Daniel Roberts and Kathleen Lucadamo

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Mayor Bloomberg wants to get rid of fire alarm boxes from city streets, saying the measure would save the FDNY $2.5 million.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/01/30/2010-01-30_lets_pull_fireboxes_mike_says.html#ixzz0e8RQGYCg

Edited by dadbo46
x635 likes this

This issue seems to come up every few years......just going to make the city less safe, and not everyone has cell phones, and pay phones are becoming harder and harder to find.

Stop sending companies to the box when no one answers it. That will reduce tons of false alarms.

You mean you haven't been to an ERS No Contact 10-75? I have been to a few, and they were day time jobs.

Stop sending companies to the box when no one answers it. That will reduce tons of false alarms.

Then you run into the risk of someone who is suffering a medical emergency and is unable to talk.

M' Ave likes this

The 1997 ruling requiring the city maintain boxes was based upon the theory that hearing or speech impaired civilians could still summon help by the simply activating the box.

We already do that. We could always start sending you out 24/7. That might also keep some firehouses open.

Even though it ends up being an MFA, it still counts as a run. More runs=keeping companies open.

Here we go again...I'm itching for a fight with City Hall.

Edited by JBE
M' Ave likes this

Here we go again...I'm itching for a fight with City Hall.

Or another blackout to prove they work when no one has a cellphone or cordless phone that works!

Nahh I want a fight with City Hall. We've proven they work. The Blackout, Flight 587(first reported alarm was a pull box) and Sept. 11th(ERS Box 8087 came in before the first phone call)

My job is being whittled away by this jerk at City Hall, I feel like lacing up the gloves.

M' Ave likes this

Well then, I'll be the bucket boy in your corner then! Let's go!

I just can't believe in this day and age politicians want to spend more money on stuff that is not proven to work and not spend half as much to keep a current, up-to-date and proven system that works on line.

Maybe I should run for senate........................

M' Ave likes this

Stupid....stupid stupid.

In my short few years in the FDNY I've been on many false ERS boxes and I've been on 2 or 3 that ended up being a 10-75 or better. It's a bad ratio, but we didn't get any second sources for those runs. Big deal, we go on a few no contact ERS boxes, but they're a redundant resource for a mere 2.5 million a year. Pennies in the grand scheme.

Tell mayor Mike to come on out to one of the "finer" neighborhoods in his fair city and tell everyone it's okay 'cause they all have cell phones....

...yeah right....

Let's face it, the guy does not like the Fire Department, never has. Since none of our unions backed him in the last election, he is going after us full speed.

In one of the other threads, it said something like 150 ERS alarms a year turn out to be working fires. How many ERS alarms are for other types of incidents (other fires, smoke conditions, smell of gas, medical calls, MVA's etc. )?

Also, if these are the boxes I'm thinking of, with the two buttons, one for FD and one for PD, how many police calls does the city get from these boxes?

Let's face it, the guy does not like the Fire Department, never has. Since none of our unions backed him in the last election, he is going after us full speed.

Teachers are taking a big hit too and they were the first to back him. Luckily Bloomy isn't your typical poll.

As bleak as it looks it will not be this severe. All these cuts are based on Patterson's proposed budget. The state legislature and city council still have to weigh in.

M' Ave likes this

Also, if these are the boxes I'm thinking of, with the two buttons, one for FD and one for PD, how many police calls does the city get from these boxes?

I'm thinking they might get a fair share but they are most likely legitimate calls. Just put yourself in the shoes of the pranksters who would pull the box. Which would you rather see a fire truck or a police cruiser? Simple answer, the fire truck. In the more shady neighborhoods there is no way they are gonna want cops coming through with all there "profiling" and harassing. Most of the time i am sure it is just some kids being kids and doing dumb stuff. If someone has the stats that would be nice to see.

I don't think PD answers the boxes. I was driving home from the firehouse years ago and was involved in an accident. I hit the PD side and never got a response. I hit the FD side, which was immediately answered. I told the dispacther who I was and gave him the info. I also told him I pushed the PD side. He stated they usually don't answer.

PD Answers the boxes as well as FD. There will be times where you won't get an answer, or you'll get the recording from 911 if the phones are overburdened. I don't know how many they get.

M' Ave likes this

I'm thinking they might get a fair share but they are most likely legitimate calls. Just put yourself in the shoes of the pranksters who would pull the box. Which would you rather see a fire truck or a police cruiser? Simple answer, the fire truck. In the more shady neighborhoods there is no way they are gonna want cops coming through with all there "profiling" and harassing. Most of the time i am sure it is just some kids being kids and doing dumb stuff. If someone has the stats that would be nice to see.

You give them too much credit. I monitor PD since they often get the jump on jobs while our dispatchers are re-interviewing callers and they get plenty of ERS no response jobs. In the 42 and 44 precincts alone there are a couple per 8 hr tour and thats only when I'm in the truck listening.

"Is disregarding the PUBLIC'S SAFETY the way to save money?" is the real question here.

Emergencies arent consistent, nor predictable, but isn't that the point of having the boxes, "just in case of an emergency"? Hello, McFly- IT'S PUBLIC SAFETY, FOR GAWSH SAKES!

Granted, there are abusers, and maybe the city should discuss how to identify the abuser(s), like take a snapshot and a fingerprint scan when the button's hit, or something, and fine them a hefty sum. Ever heard of "people with disabilities" before? And how about POOR people, who can't afford a cellphone? Even if you have a cell, the signal isn't always there.

Is it really worth the risk of endangering the mass public by removing those boxes to save money? That's scary when people are concerned more with money than the public's safety. I'm sure they can budget or cut things in other areas that doesn't compromise the public's safety!

M' Ave and nycemt326 like this