Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NYanks042

City of Poughkeepsie Ambulance Contract

70 posts in this topic

What is the word on the street about the City of Poughkeepsie Ambulance Contract? They are supposed to make a decision by March 1st!

I would just go to the horses' mouth and call the City Hall on Tuesday morning and ask for the results of the bid process. It's public information and should be available from the clerk.

Mobile Life Effective 3/22/2010

Yup. MLSS has the city of Poughkeepsie starting 12:01 on 3/22/2010. I believe it is a 3 year contract for two dedicated ALS ambulances around the clock.

EMS contracts change so fast in Dutchess County that it's hard to keep up on who covers what!

It's great to see MLSS got it. Are they still the ALS provider for East Fishkill? Also, where will they be responding from?

Even better would have been Poughkeepsie Fire EMS but I know that will never happen.

It's great to see MLSS got it. Are they still the ALS provider for East Fishkill? Also, where will they be responding from?

Even better would have been Poughkeepsie Fire EMS but I know that will never happen.

Yes, MLSS still covers East Fishkill for ALS.

We're going to maintain our current station on South Avenue and we'll have a bigger station more on the east side of the city.

who is it currently/prior?

Transcare.

TransCare has it now because they took over Alamo. Also, Mobile Life has a Unit in the City Of Poughkeepsie, I believe its covered 24/7. East Fishkill, Villiage Of Fishkill and City Of Poughkeepsie has ONE Unit each and Villiage Of Wappingers has Two Units. I would assume that they will add Two Units to the City Of Poughkeepsie, seeing that TransCare has Two Units in the City. Best Of Luck to The City Of Poughkeepsie and Mobile Life. Its a great combo.

Thomas

Can't say i agree. Bunch of good, seasoned, City providers will be moving on with this change. As a side bar MLSS has wanted this contract forever....we hated it when they opened up their station in the city limits and would consistently buff 911 jobs. I remember on occasion where a City FD Captain reamed the MLSS crew out for their buffing efforts. Obviously my loyalty lies with the Alamo holdovers (now TC) and it upsets me that they will either have to move on or go through another change of shirts...those that regularly work out of the city are loyal, dedicated, enthusiastic and have great working relationships with FD and PD. It's going to take time for things to re-formulated.

Oh well, such is par for the course in Dutchess county

Edited by Goose
post4031, PVFD233, x1243 and 1 other like this

Can't say i agree.

I've got more experience with MLSS that dates back many years and goes beyond your percieved limited view based on some incidents only in the City Of Poughkeepsie. They were there long before TC and have hired many former Alamo, Transcare, Sloper, Northern Dutchess employees as well.

MLSS is a great company, and they are rooted and their main focus is in the mid-Hudson Valley. They have provided Orange County with excellent service for many years, and they are very progressive. They are nationally accreditted, which is a very hard standard to obtain and maintain.

They provide a lot of services Transcare doesn't offer. Their providers have a ton of experience. MLSS even staffs one of the NYS Police medical helicopters. They provide EMD pre-arrival instructions. They have an MCI units. They are part of the Haz-Mat team in Orange and Ulster Counties. A number of their staff are trained in CISM. They give EMS classes locally. Amongst many other things.

It's also nice that EMT's in the area have another option if they don't like working for TC.

Let's not turn this into a mud-slinging fest between companies again and if that progresses that won't be tolerated. There's no reason for that, MLSS has the contract, and best of luck to them.

Yeah, yeah, i know...i know nothing. All the time i spent working in the city of poughkeepsie, dutchess and ulster counties are worthless. I'm going to go hang my head in shame because what i have to say from first hand experience in the field means nothing.

If you wan't to call reality on the ground mud-slinging so be it. The city's loss, heart goes out to my former city EMS providers.

x1243 and orangEMT246 like this

Honestlly it doesnt matter who has the contract. What matters is the company serves the public like they should. I am not saying Alamo or TransCare was bad. This happened before in another topic. Paid or NOT we do this because we love too. So dont put down another company because one day they might be your back up. This is a great for the public that live, work and drive threw the City Of Poughkeepsie!!! Stay Safe Out Thier EVERYONE!!!

Thomas

Yeah, yeah, i know...i know nothing. All the time i spent working in the city of poughkeepsie, dutchess and ulster counties are worthless. I'm going to go hang my head in shame because what i have to say from first hand experience in the field means nothing.

No, your views are just very jaded and pescimistic about EVERYTHING. I. You seem to see the negative in everything in absolute terms, yet never seem to see or speak of the positive. I know you have some experience while attending school there, it just dissapoints me that someone so relatively young has so much hate and negativity for so many things in EMS except the agencies he's invovled in. I'm sure there are many providers who live and work in Dutchess for years who have different views. I hope you advance your career to Paramedic as you seem passionate about the field, however I hope to read some posts from you that are positive, and I hope one day you are able to identify the good in EMS even if it doesn't work the way you want it to work.I hope to see optimism and care, and hope that you don't continue to use this forum to express your negative views, in this case, unwarranted.

The City Of Poughkeepsie has actually OFFICIALLY awarded a contract for EMS, and to MLSS, who like it or not, will provide great service to the City and will prove that. What is the bad in that? Why is MLSS so different that they can't provide quality EMS like they've proven for 30 years and ACCREDITED and other companies can? Read back on your comments in this thread in a few years.'

Each has their own specialty. Both do the best they can. I am just glad that commercial EMS providers are greatly improved compared to a few years ago. As far as I'm concerned MLSS & Transcare are equal.

Ok I'm sure this has been talked about before and I apologize if it stirs peoples emotions but I'm looking to work upstate I'm currently a NYC Paramedic so I was taking interest in companies in westchester and hudson valley.

The two westchester companies I know of are which I also filled out applications are EMPRESS (which from what they said have been on a hiring freeze since october) and Westchester EMS

In Hudson Valley I put applications in Mobile Life Support, Northern Dutchess Paramedics, Hudson Valley Paramedics/Regional EMS and Rockland County Paramedics

So I know there a lot of people here with several years if not more of experience in some of these companies so if anyone has any insight, opinions, stories, etc whether bad or good do share. Take into consideration I'm looking to do mostly 911 work I don't mind some transport.

PS negative opinions are fine as long as they have substance not just oh that company sucks instead of I don't like them because of x y and z

TransCare has it now because they took over Alamo. Also, Mobile Life has a Unit in the City Of Poughkeepsie, I believe its covered 24/7. East Fishkill, Villiage Of Fishkill and City Of Poughkeepsie has ONE Unit each and Villiage Of Wappingers has Two Units. I would assume that they will add Two Units to the City Of Poughkeepsie, seeing that TransCare has Two Units in the City. Best Of Luck to The City Of Poughkeepsie and Mobile Life. Its a great combo.

Thomas

The Village has two units? not sure I can believe that 100%.

fireguy140 likes this

No, your views are just very jaded and pescimistic about EVERYTHING. I. You seem to see the negative in everything in absolute terms, yet never seem to see or speak of the positive. I know you have some experience while attending school there, it just dissapoints me that someone so relatively young has so much hate and negativity for so many things in EMS except the agencies he's invovled in. I'm sure there are many providers who live and work in Dutchess for years who have different views. I hope you advance your career to Paramedic as you seem passionate about the field, however I hope to read some posts from you that are positive, and I hope one day you are able to identify the good in EMS even if it doesn't work the way you want it to work.I hope to see optimism and care, and hope that you don't continue to use this forum to express your negative views, in this case, unwarranted.

The City Of Poughkeepsie has actually OFFICIALLY awarded a contract for EMS, and to MLSS, who like it or not, will provide great service to the City and will prove that. What is the bad in that? Why is MLSS so different that they can't provide quality EMS like they've proven for 30 years and ACCREDITED and other companies can? Read back on your comments in this thread in a few years.'

Not for nothing, but it just seems like he would rather see Transcare in the City instead of MLSS? I mean if thats the case, then where is the harm in what he said?

fireguy140 and orangEMT246 like this

The Village has two units? not sure I can believe that 100%.

Mobil Life also provides coverage for the New Hamburg Ambulance District out of the Village.

Edited by NHFD202

Mobil Life also provides coverage for the New Hamburg Ambulance District out of the Village.

But when two calls drop back to back and the second unit responds from the Newburgh-Beacon bridge, then you can't tell me they have two units in the village.

orangEMT246 likes this

You know it's all great to sing the high praises of the company that was awarded the contract however let's seriously look at things here. Transcare provided phenomenal service to the City of Poughkeepsie since they took over Alamo. The response times were between 4-6 minutes on an average. You had 2 Dedicated units that when they called out knew they were in the City! You had additional units at the drop of a hat and maybe just maybe when the city exploded a call was rolled over! You have an EMD dispatch and a well known station established in the heart of the City! The Dedicated City crews worked their butts off! I know contracts come and go and territory is lost and gained but something just does not add up here at all!!!! That is just my humble opinion and of course I too will be just singing a sour grape song to many on this board!!!

helicopper likes this

Ok I'm sure this has been talked about before and I apologize if it stirs peoples emotions but I'm looking to work upstate I'm currently a NYC Paramedic so I was taking interest in companies in westchester and hudson valley.

The two westchester companies I know of are which I also filled out applications are EMPRESS (which from what they said have been on a hiring freeze since october) and Westchester EMS

In Hudson Valley I put applications in Mobile Life Support, Northern Dutchess Paramedics, Hudson Valley Paramedics/Regional EMS and Rockland County Paramedics

So I know there a lot of people here with several years if not more of experience in some of these companies so if anyone has any insight, opinions, stories, etc whether bad or good do share. Take into consideration I'm looking to do mostly 911 work I don't mind some transport.

PS negative opinions are fine as long as they have substance not just oh that company sucks instead of I don't like them because of x y and z

I can only speak of the companies I have worked for. MLSS is one of the best EMS companies in the Hudson Valley...they offer alot of room for movement and great people to work with. They are a local company based in the Hudson Valley. Transcare is also a good company to work for but they are the largest company on the East Coast so you will feel more like a number. NDP EMS is a great company to work for. Our stations are located in Rhinebeck, Hyde Park and Millerton in Dutchess County. If you would like you should contact our HR...check out our web site...ndpems.com. Hope this helps you out. Good luck in coming up to the Hudson Valley.

Again this is my opinion from when I worked for these companies!

GL

I think that we are missing something here. EMS contracts in this county change constantly, and people bounce from company to company, oftentimes working 3-4 agencies at any given time. While we have plenty of great providers, how do we make the business end of EMS work for the public we serve?

I would assert that 911 EMS needs to be a municipal service. Provided by the Fire Department, or a 3rd municipal service. Pay employees what they are worth for the work they do, allow some movement and a future for them (something few private sector companies in any industry can provide these days. Depending on what type of governmental entity they work for, billing can still be done to recover costs incurred for providing services.

It seems to be only the employees who lose here when contracts get bounced around and people have to bounce between agencies. Until the government powers give credibility to EMS agencies, or EMS in general, the days of contracts, politics, etc. will continue. Don't forget, the municipalities go for these agencies because they charge less than the actual cost of maintaining an ambulance and crew, hoping to make up the rest on billing revenue. I would challenge any City Manager/ Administrator to compare the costs of a private system and municipal system and see what the bottom line is. I don't think it would be too far off, and it would enable the municipality to have better control over the system, to ensure superior public safety.

helicopper likes this

You know it's all great to sing the high praises of the company that was awarded the contract however let's seriously look at things here. Transcare provided phenomenal service to the City of Poughkeepsie since they took over Alamo. The response times were between 4-6 minutes on an average. You had 2 Dedicated units that when they called out knew they were in the City! You had additional units at the drop of a hat and maybe just maybe when the city exploded a call was rolled over! You have an EMD dispatch and a well known station established in the heart of the City! The Dedicated City crews worked their butts off! I know contracts come and go and territory is lost and gained but something just does not add up here at all!!!! That is just my humble opinion and of course I too will be just singing a sour grape song to many on this board!!!

I'm not sure what "doesn't add up". MLSS will be staffing out of the exact same building that Transcare used from what I

understand, as well as their existing South Avenue location- two sides of town instead of one. As to how many dedicated units, that would all be spelled out in the RFP and the bid, so they are bound to provide whatever coverage the contract calls for, or the City can address that as a contract issue. Add to that the fact that MLSS already covers a great deal of Southern Dutchess and Ulster Counties, and you will have additional units in and out of the City all day long going and coming from Saints and Vassar. Do you have any factual basis for believing that MLSS will provide an inferior level of service to that which Transcare offered?

MLSS is a locally owned and operated company. I see them in action all of the time, and I think they do a good job. I honestly

don't get all of the emotional hysteria that some on this site keep spouting about this agency over that agency. MLSS was just

awarded the contract this week, and already they're getting trashed before they even take their first call. I don't understand it.

Well Mobile Life back fills so if New Hamburg has a call and Village Of Fishkill has a call, the second Mobile Life Unit moves from the Village of Wappingers to the area of 7 11 on Rt. 9, its thier mid point. Also Mobile Life gets dispatched by DC 911 and then by thier own dispatch. I have heard a unit call out for a call and they were returned by a closer unit. It is sad that people are putting down Mobile Life. We gotta stop that and worry about public safety. I dont care if it's Mobile Life or NDP coming to help me when I am injured as long as they get thier safe and help me I am happy. We serioully need to stop putting down other compnies. WE ALL ARE DOING THE SAME THING!!! If you have a personal problem keep it off of the scenes or fireouse. Worry about that at home.

Thomas

You have an EMD dispatch and a well known station established in the heart of the City!

The City of Poughkeepsie 911 Center provides EMD in the City.

HELLO.......

First of all I never put down Mobile Life!!! Adjust your reading glasses!!!!!!! I never even mentioned their name!!!!! I merely stated the service that was currently being provided by Transcare!!!!!

FiftyOnePride likes this

I would like to say congrats to MLSS. They have taken on a contract that make no money, its just a area. nothing more, nothing less. Transcare is a company that only care about those $ signs, therefore having the city to Transcare didnt mean much. Everyone is so quick to bash Transcare loosing the city but everyone seems to forget just recently MLSS just lost Keller Army hosp. and Cornwall. No company has gained anything or lost anything. It's a swinging contest thats all its ever been. Do I hear COUNTY WIDE EMS :)