Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NYanks042

City of Poughkeepsie Ambulance Contract

70 posts in this topic

FYI My reply was to Engine845.

Thomas

City government is the one calling the shots here. As a former city resident I am happy the city finally signed a contract with an ambulance provider. As a local firefighter I am happy that Mobile Life Supports CERT team will be closer to all of us who are on the fire side of things to provide rehab etc.

You will see a greater presence of MLSS in Dutchess County. They have this contract very well thought out.

HELLO.......

First of all I never put down Mobile Life!!! Adjust your reading glasses!!!!!!! I never even mentioned their name!!!!! I merely stated the service that was currently being provided by Transcare!!!!!

When you post on a string that refers to a new provider for the City of Poughkeepsie, Mobile Life is the provider, and you

conclude a long list of the positives that the previous provider offered with the statement "...something just does not add up

here at all", it can reasonably be inferred from the comments and the method of delivery that you are not happy with the

decision.

Do you have a factual basis for being upset/concerned/disappointed/whatever with the fact that MLSS is replacing Transcare, and

if so, would you please share it with us?

I have no beef with Transcare, I don't really know their operation. I do know MLSS very well, and I am very comfortable with their service levels.

My reading glasses are fine, thank you. You might also want to go easy on the exclamation points. :angry:

effd3918 likes this

Not for nothing, but why are some people so quick to praise the job MLSS will do Poughkeepsie? By reading some of these posts, one would think that they have had the contract for years.

Now I don't live in Dutchess or have ever had any dealings with them, but mabye we should wait and see how they do with the contract. While it's nice to read that they seem to have a solid reputation, only time will tell how this contract will turn out for MLSS and the city.

Not for nothing, but why are some people so quick to praise the job MLSS will do Poughkeepsie? By reading some of these posts, one would think that they have had the contract for years.

I agree, time will tell. But I know how MLSS has this planned out, and it's impressive. They are really making an investment into this contract that goes far beyond simply providing ambulances.

Also, people should want to support LOCAL companies, who, in turn, invest in that same community that they serve. Transcare's money goes to Brooklyn, MLSS's goes into the Orange County and surrounding economies.

MLSS also has tons of other support and educational services that Transcare doesn't currently provide in Dutchess. Transcare is a good company with great employees...dont get me wrong...but I feel MLSS can do a better job on this contract and will prove so.

Now I don't live in Dutchess or have ever had any dealings with them, but mabye we should wait and see how they do with the contract. While it's nice to read that they seem to have a solid reputation, only time will tell how this contract will turn out for MLSS and the city.

I think it is fair to say that MLSS enjoys a favorable reputation generally. I don't think that anyone is saying that they will

be a vast improvement over Transcare, that will only be evident once they are on the ground and performing. From what little I

know, Transcare did a good job while they had the contract. What is safe to say is that they are locally owned, locally

managed, and very competent. They have taken over other contracts in the past from other providers, and some of the bad press

that the other providers used to get is not being generated about MLSS.

You are right, only time will tell, but if they replicate the job that they are doing elsewhere in the County, then everything will be

fine.

effd3918 likes this

Well Mobile Life back fills so if New Hamburg has a call and Village Of Fishkill has a call, the second Mobile Life Unit moves from the Village of Wappingers to the area of 7 11 on Rt. 9, its thier mid point. Also Mobile Life gets dispatched by DC 911 and then by thier own dispatch. I have heard a unit call out for a call and they were returned by a closer unit. It is sad that people are putting down Mobile Life. We gotta stop that and worry about public safety. I dont care if it's Mobile Life or NDP coming to help me when I am injured as long as they get thier safe and help me I am happy. We serioully need to stop putting down other compnies. WE ALL ARE DOING THE SAME THING!!! If you have a personal problem keep it off of the scenes or fireouse. Worry about that at home.

Thomas

All I am saying is dont tell me there are two units when you constantly hear then call out from the Newburgh-Beacon bridge. Its all well and good that they backfill, but backfilling when one unit goes out does not imply there is a second unit. Also, this is not a personal issue, its an issue of saying they have two units there when the response from the Newburgh-Beacon bridge clearly shows they do not. I am in no way putting down MLSS, I am simply putting down your statement because its not true.

They do Medic 276 and medic 267 believe I know for a fact they do!!!

Thomas

But when two calls drop back to back and the second unit responds from the Newburgh-Beacon bridge, then you can't tell me they have two units in the village.

How often can you really say this happens? I can tell you it is not very often, especially not for high-priority calls.

TAPS, with all due respect, I believe you are misinformed about a few things. First of all, the units you listed here are not always in the same areas. Second of all, the village contracts for one unit. A second unit comes on shift mid-afternoon for extra call coverage and backfill. This does not necessarily mean it is sitting in Wappingers. MLSS covers a huge territory including most of Orange County, Ulster County, and now a large piece of Dutchess County. What I do know for a fact is that they make covering primary response areas a priority. This includes areas in Dutchess such as Fishkill and Wappingers, where no other volunteer ambulances respond and there is a contract in place for such services. I figured if it was going to cause so much of a stir someone should clarify. On a separate note, everyone needs to realize that MLSS is the new guy on the block in Dutchess County but they are not stupid. They have been operating quite efficiently in Orange and Ulster for a very long time. I can assure you they do not do anything without researching first and they are not just running into Poughkeepsie without a solid plan. Also, it appears much of the staff that will be operating in the Poughkeepsie area will be experienced staff, as a matter of fact, I think you will be surprised to see a lot of familiar faces in the area. All politics aside, the important thing is that the city will continue to have excellent emergency services response.

EFFD4091-MLSS emt likes this

we hated it when they opened up their station in the city limits and would consistently buff 911 jobs. I remember on occasion where a City FD Captain reamed the MLSS crew out for their buffing efforts

If I recall, Jarred, I was your partner that Saturday. And we also found out that they weren't buffing anything, it was a misunderstanding because there was an injured MOS. Don't try to stir the pot just for the sake of antagonizing, that's not what this forum is for. You're better then that.

helicopper likes this

All I am saying is dont tell me there are two units when you constantly hear then call out from the Newburgh-Beacon bridge. Its all well and good that they backfill, but backfilling when one unit goes out does not imply there is a second unit. Also, this is not a personal issue, its an issue of saying they have two units there when the response from the Newburgh-Beacon bridge clearly shows they do not. I am in no way putting down MLSS, I am simply putting down your statement because its not true.

Let's remember a few points here. MLSS covers the Village of Fishkill, parts of fire districts in town of Fishkill, East Fishkill Fire District, Village of Wappingers and New Hamburg Fire District. Pretty active and populated territory ( at least for Dutchess County).

It is not uncommon for East Fishkill alone to drop two consecutive calls, let alone the other areas-sometimes 3. Factor in a 36 mile round trip from Village of Fishkill to Vassar (farther from much of the East Fishkill Fire District), and it is not uncommon that one or more of their busses is out of service on a call for over an hour. There is not an unlimited supply of these units, so sure, they may have a run underway in E. Fishkill, get a call in Wappingers, and have a third call in New Hamburg. They backfill with a unit from Orange coming across the bridge. Unless you look at the big picture, and how many units are already out on calls, it is out of context to talk about MLSS backfilling from the bridge.

helicopper likes this

I think that we are missing something here. EMS contracts in this county change constantly, and people bounce from company to company, oftentimes working 3-4 agencies at any given time. While we have plenty of great providers, how do we make the business end of EMS work for the public we serve?

I would assert that 911 EMS needs to be a municipal service. Provided by the Fire Department, or a 3rd municipal service. Pay employees what they are worth for the work they do, allow some movement and a future for them (something few private sector companies in any industry can provide these days. Depending on what type of governmental entity they work for, billing can still be done to recover costs incurred for providing services.

It seems to be only the employees who lose here when contracts get bounced around and people have to bounce between agencies. Until the government powers give credibility to EMS agencies, or EMS in general, the days of contracts, politics, etc. will continue. Don't forget, the municipalities go for these agencies because they charge less than the actual cost of maintaining an ambulance and crew, hoping to make up the rest on billing revenue. I would challenge any City Manager/ Administrator to compare the costs of a private system and municipal system and see what the bottom line is. I don't think it would be too far off, and it would enable the municipality to have better control over the system, to ensure superior public safety.

In a lot of ways properly run fire based EMS has many benifits. The medics usually have more experience. Because of the better salary and working conditions fire based medics remain medics for a longer time. By rotating assignments (ride the truck one day an engine another and bus another) burnout can be prevented. Fire based EMS usually has better response time because of firehouse placement and ability to cross staff.

If EMS was a part of the fire department the providers would be paid a better wage, have better benifits, retirement, and would not have to worry about the contract changing every few years threating their livelyhood. I'm sure MLSS will do a good job but on the human side I hope all the providers land on their feet.

efdcapt115 likes this

How often can you really say this happens? I can tell you it is not very often, especially not for high-priority calls.

TAPS, with all due respect, I believe you are misinformed about a few things. First of all, the units you listed here are not always in the same areas. Second of all, the village contracts for one unit. A second unit comes on shift mid-afternoon for extra call coverage and backfill. This does not necessarily mean it is sitting in Wappingers. MLSS covers a huge territory including most of Orange County, Ulster County, and now a large piece of Dutchess County. What I do know for a fact is that they make covering primary response areas a priority. This includes areas in Dutchess such as Fishkill and Wappingers, where no other volunteer ambulances respond and there is a contract in place for such services. I figured if it was going to cause so much of a stir someone should clarify. On a separate note, everyone needs to realize that MLSS is the new guy on the block in Dutchess County but they are not stupid. They have been operating quite efficiently in Orange and Ulster for a very long time. I can assure you they do not do anything without researching first and they are not just running into Poughkeepsie without a solid plan. Also, it appears much of the staff that will be operating in the Poughkeepsie area will be experienced staff, as a matter of fact, I think you will be surprised to see a lot of familiar faces in the area. All politics aside, the important thing is that the city will continue to have excellent emergency services response.

Then thats a different story, if they are only contracted for one then it doesn't matter where the second comes from as long as the first is in the village or New Hamburg. I was just simply stating that there are not two ambulances in the Village.

fireguy140 likes this

Let's remember a few points here. MLSS covers the Village of Fishkill, parts of fire districts in town of Fishkill, East Fishkill Fire District, Village of Wappingers and New Hamburg Fire District. Pretty active and populated territory ( at least for Dutchess County).

It is not uncommon for East Fishkill alone to drop two consecutive calls, let alone the other areas-sometimes 3. Factor in a 36 mile round trip from Village of Fishkill to Vassar (farther from much of the East Fishkill Fire District), and it is not uncommon that one or more of their busses is out of service on a call for over an hour. There is not an unlimited supply of these units, so sure, they may have a run underway in E. Fishkill, get a call in Wappingers, and have a third call in New Hamburg. They backfill with a unit from Orange coming across the bridge. Unless you look at the big picture, and how many units are already out on calls, it is out of context to talk about MLSS backfilling from the bridge.

I never said it was out of context to backfill from the bridge. It is a hell of a response to an emergency in the far end of New Hamburg from the bridge though.

I really have no opinion either way, on who has the City of Pok contract. However, I do know that, the City chose $$ over it all.

The City will get $$ for each minute ML is over it's contracted response time. Just keep in mind, that the response time is not the 4 to 6 minutes that TC offered...hope the City is ready for that...Remember, that most of us got into this business, whether you volunteer or are career, to HELP people, and granted it's nice to make some money now and then, and we all know that EMS is not a "get rich" business - but to make you think about this in a "simpler way" just take a moment and think about how long 9 minutes is in an emergency situation.

I just told you the truth. Check my affiliation.

Engine, it is a hell of a response and honestly, I don't recall ever hearing that happening. If there is no unit in Wappingers, there is typically a crew on it's way for coverage from either Fishkill or Poughkeepsie. If a call drops in the area and the crew that is being relocated is found to be within response range, they are sent. Granted, just like anything else, there are exceptions. I'm sure in rare instances a unit has responded from farther. But in general terms, the response times in MLSS's coverage zones remain well under the national standard of 8:59 minutes. Wappingers also just re-signed MLSS to another 3 year contract so I imagine they are quite pleased with the service as well.

I just told you the truth. Check my affiliation.

Engine, it is a hell of a response and honestly, I don't recall ever hearing that happening. If there is no unit in Wappingers, there is typically a crew on it's way for coverage from either Fishkill or Poughkeepsie. If a call drops in the area and the crew that is being relocated is found to be within response range, they are sent. Granted, just like anything else, there are exceptions. I'm sure in rare instances a unit has responded from farther. But in general terms, the response times in MLSS's coverage zones remain well under the national standard of 8:59 minutes. Wappingers also just re-signed MLSS to another 3 year contract so I imagine they are quite pleased with the service as well.

Its been said on Dutchess County Response a few times responding from Newburgh-Beacon bridge to Wappingers or New Hamburg. I am not saying it happens everyday, but it does happen.

Its been said on Dutchess County Response a few times responding from Newburgh-Beacon bridge to Wappingers or New Hamburg. I am not saying it happens everyday, but it does happen.

And how many times had TC called out responding to Millbrook or PV (prior to the new contract) from Vassar hospital, or anything of that sort? Or what about Alamo responding to East Fishkill from Vassar Hospital (yes, it used to happen, I heard it myself). NDP has called out with long hauls for 911 jobs before as well.

All Commercial agency that I have even known in this area has had their incidences of extended responses, so let's be fair...

To quote what you yourself said;

I am not saying it happens everyday, but it does happen.

Regardless, I wish the best to MLSS with this contract. Time will show everyone whether or not they can handle what they got themselves into, so at least give them a chance.

toastedsound likes this

I really have no opinion either way, on who has the City of Pok contract. However, I do know that, the City chose $$ over it all.

The City will get $$ for each minute ML is over it's contracted response time. Just keep in mind, that the response time is not the 4 to 6 minutes that TC offered...hope the City is ready for that...Remember, that most of us got into this business, whether you volunteer or are career, to HELP people, and granted it's nice to make some money now and then, and we all know that EMS is not a "get rich" business - but to make you think about this in a "simpler way" just take a moment and think about how long 9 minutes is in an emergency situation.

You realize that "4 minutes for ALS and 6 minutes for BLS" was referring to average response. That means that with enough responses under the limit, you can still have plenty way over. MLSS provides fractile percentages within the national standard. This means that no matter what, a city resident will have an ambulance at their door within 9 minutes every time, no matter what. If 10% of the time this does not happen, MLSS will pay money. It's a way of ensuring reliability and accountability. In most cases, you should be able to respond to an emergency in the city fairly quickly, common sense tells me it shouldn't be a problem. One other thing MLSS is famous for is carefully researched station locations, as well as multiple stations in one single area. When you increase the response footprint of multiple units, you can decrease response times.

EFFD4091-MLSS emt likes this

I never said it was out of context to backfill from the bridge. It is a hell of a response to an emergency in the far end of New Hamburg from the bridge though.

And the far end of New Hamburg just became the close end to the City of Poughkeepsie, another reason the COP contract makes so much sense.

And the far end of New Hamburg just became the close end to the City of Poughkeepsie, another reason the COP contract makes so much sense.

I am a little confused, how does the contract make more sense then Transcare having it? they have the Town of Wappingers and Fairview or maybe im just reading your statement wrong?

Town of Wappingers Contract is totally seperate they work for the town technically not for TransCare. Thier units are Town Of Wappingers Ambulance Not TransCare. The EMT's and Medic's get paid from TransCare but work for the town. This was an issue a few years back when a guy worked for Mobile Life and called them personally for an EMS Call and them came and DC 911 knew nothing and it was in the Town Of Wappingers Area. Town Of Wappingers Ambulance will not go cover City of Pooughkeepsie or Fairview.

Thomas

SRS131EMTFF likes this

Town of Wappingers Contract is totally seperate they work for the town technically not for TransCare. Thier units are Town Of Wappingers Ambulance Not TransCare. The EMT's and Medic's get paid from TransCare but work for the town. This was an issue a few years back when a guy worked for Mobile Life and called them personally for an EMS Call and them came and DC 911 knew nothing and it was in the Town Of Wappingers Area. Town Of Wappingers Ambulance will not go cover City of Pooughkeepsie or Fairview.

Thomas

Are you saying the personnel assigned the the Wappinger TransCare units are actually civil service employees of the Town of Wappinger? That doesn't make any sense. I think you may have misunderstood.

No the Units working in Town Of Wappingers are only for Town of Wappingers they dont go travelling to Fairview for a call. They are stationed in thier station 24/7. They might do a close mutial aid but they wont be traveling to the City of Pougkeepsie for a call.

Thomas

Thomas

I don't need a lesson on the Town contract, Trust me. Other then that, the Village of Wappingers/New Hamnburg unit should not be going either considering the Village and New Hamburg are paying for that rig. As far as they town ambulance not going mutual aid, ill just say I dont know where you get your information from but its very much incorrect.

No the Units working in Town Of Wappingers are only for Town of Wappingers they dont go travelling to Fairview for a call. They are stationed in thier station 24/7. They might do a close mutial aid but they wont be traveling to the City of Pougkeepsie for a call.

Thomas

They have gone all the way in East Fishkill before.

effd3918 likes this

I said they dont go far like to the City of Poughkeepsie or Fairvie, but they will do a close mutial aid.

Thomas

64FFMJK likes this

I said they dont go far like to the City of Poughkeepsie or Fairvie, but they will do a close mutial aid.

Thomas

They have gone to the Arlington/City line before. Also, my reply before was not saying that the Town Ambulance would be running to the City of Poughkeepsie. It was in regards to the fact that just because MLSS covers the Village of Wappingers doesnt mean it makes more sense because it is a contracted unit which means it has nothing to do with the City of Poughkeepsie.

Edited by engine845
fireguy140 likes this