Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Marine Units

17 posts in this topic

I was wondering which of the following Marine units in the County are towed to the water and based in the water. (if that makes sense)

M2 (Mamaroneck Village)

M23 (Peekskill)

M36 (Mamaroneck Town)

Thanks.

Edited by 23piraf

I was wondering which of the following Marine units in the County are towed to the water and based in the water. (if that makes sense)

M2 (Mamaroneck Village)

M23 (Peekskill)

M36 (Mamaroneck Town)

Thanks.

M2 is in water

M36 is on a trailer, I don't believe a 12-14' zodic should be called a "marine unit"

M2 is in water

M36 is on a trailer, I don't believe a 12-14' zodic should be called a "marine unit"

Virginia Beach FD calls their boat Fireboat 1, and their zodiacs are Zodiac 1, Zodiac 2. Makes more sense.

I agree with you, Barry. Calling a zodiac a Marine Unit is...well...just a little Dinghy.

BAH DUM BUMP!!! Nice one, Chief.

Yonkers had an old Coast Guard 41 foot Utility Boat. But, back to the point, what would you call a boat that's used for water emergencies that's usually trailered??

We call them MARC's in the city, Marine Auxiliary Rescue Craft.

efdcapt115 likes this

Yonkers had an old Coast Guard 41 foot Utility Boat. But, back to the point, what would you call a boat that's used for water emergencies that's usually trailered??

Hey Barry...I like this terminology for the smaller boats !!!!! Maybe we call ALL the boats MARC's........Then I get my pick.

So does Peekskill keep their boat in the water?

Hey Barry...I like this terminology for the smaller boats !!!!! Maybe we call ALL the boats MARC's........Then I get my pick.

Be careful out there on your MARC. Bluefish hooks can do a lot of damage to a Zodiac.

Orange County Sheriff's office has Marine 80 which is BLS Marine Unit

Rye kepts there boat under water !

Milton Harbor is too shalllow for Rye's Boat to go underwater.

Also a thought:

MARC...How does that neme get along with NIMS Typing, Common terminology, etc. We can't even call a boat a boat.

"Command to Dispatcher we have a flood with people stranded; is there a small boat available to respond?"

"Negative, Command but we do have two Marcs that are ready to respond. ETA 2 min."

"No, dispatcher, I asked for a boat, so send me a Rescue instead."

"Do you want ALS or BLS?"

And so on and so on.

Not knocking FDNY because everybody is doing the same thing. We are supposed to be moving toward common terminology but we are coming up with complicated terms for simple items. NIMS is the biggest culprit. They stress common terminology, yet they have a whole glossary book to explain all their abbreviations.

So I think FDNY's medium sized boats are not Zodiacs (Which is a brand name but I can picture that boat because of Jacques Cousteau. To me, the word Zodiac is a common term). FDNY's Non-Zodiacs are MARCS (Which are actually RBI's or Rigid Bottom Inflatables), a bigger version of the Zodiac and has a small cabin. I would bet that FDNY got the Marcs on a grant, and the grantwriter knew that acronyms go a long way when you want money from the Feds. "Senator can we get a MARC?" sounds nuch more important than "Senator can we get a boat?"

So, your question was "what would I call a 16 foot boat on a trailer?" I'd call it a "16 foot boat on a trailer." Sounds stupid,, but I think you are a dispatcher,so what would you send me? EXACTLY! You would send me a 16ft boat on a trailer.

You would not send a Full sized fireboat, a 41 footer, a 21 foot RBI, or a small rowboat.

So that, to me, explains Common Terminology, and how far we have strayed from it in order to achieve it.

Edited by wraftery
PEMO3 likes this

M2 is in water

What do you call a boat on top of a very large rescue? :)

The Chief makes a good point. How about this?? If it's a small boat that is on a trailer, or on top of a very large Rescue ;) and does not have pumping capabilities, it's just that, a BOAT. Hence, it should be referred to as a Boat, or Small Boat. If it has pumping capabilities, it's a Marine Unit.

IC asks for a boat for a rescue in a pond. Dispatcher answers back, "Received, Mahopac Falls is responding with their boat and 19-6-1."

IC asks for a boat for a possible jumper off the TZ. "You have Marine XX responding from wherever, or if it's in Rockland, XX-Marine"

Just a thought from your friendly neighborhood Supervising Dispatcher.

Rescue 4's boat. Prior to that we called it cutting board #1 (inside joke).

What do you call any other tool on your rescue? does your "Jaws of Life" have an ID Name for dispatch to call it or do they just send the rescue and the members use what ever tools they need?

When it was on a trailer it was dispatched as "the boat"

Um, what is the boat on top of the rescue for 500, Alex?

That's called a Low Bridge Hazard

Um, what is the boat on top of the rescue for 500, Alex?

I thought it was more like the floatation devices on the skids of a helicopter