Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Arson Fires Coincide with Michigan Layoffs

15 posts in this topic

WOW, I really hope this is NOT what it seems... that would be really bad, and unthinkable...

WOW, I really hope this is NOT what it seems... that would be really bad, and unthinkable...

A city of 100,000 people is now going to be protected by 65 firefighters from 3 stations. So yes it's really bad and unthinkable. The youngest most fit have been layed off. Grossly understaffed members left will face an unthinkable workload. My thoughts are with the members of the Flint Fire Department may they stay safe during these trying times.

If it is, in fact, Flint firefighters behind this, then it is disturbing. The fact that any fire can lead to the injuries and possibly the deaths of our brothers should be enough to sway the normal, rational firefighter not to light a fire - ever. Two brothers were hurt fighting these fires. If one of them got killed, have you proved your point?

I feel for the firefighters that have been laid off (as well as the cops) but torching vacants is not the way to get the attention of the public or the city fathers.

Try taking photos of all of the City's loved ones and ask them how they would feel if a fire broke out in their homes, and your FD lacked the manpower / resources to stop a fire and save their families. That might get their attention...

I really hope the firefighters are not doing these arsons, and I'll remain confident that the Flint brothers know right from wrong.

That's a pretty big inference being made there. I'm going to hope that is a strange coincidence and let the investigators figure out what is going on, that is, if they haven't laid them all off.

You guys have this all wrong, Its the cops lighting the fires so they will not lose there jobs. Thinking someone needs to get arested..

The Land Bank owns about 1,300 of the roughly 6,000 abandoned homes in Flint.....

The State of Michigan is in shambles. Flint in particular used to be a powerhouse of manufacturing, and a strong component of our economy. Take a look at the results of NAFTA fellas. The jobs that used to be in Flint are now in the Machiladoras; just across the border in Mexico.

Desperation is rearing it's ugly head.

A city of 100,000 people is now going to be protected by 65 firefighters from 3 stations. So yes it's really bad and unthinkable. The youngest most fit have been layed off. Grossly understaffed members left will face an unthinkable workload. My thoughts are with the members of the Flint Fire Department may they stay safe during these trying times.

What does that translate into? About 15 firefighters per shift?

How many are no duty in Mt. Vernon or any of our other smaller cities these days?

That's a pretty big inference being made there. I'm going to hope that is a strange coincidence and let the investigators figure out what is going on, that is, if they haven't laid them all off.

Yes, it is quite an inference but it is also highly suspect that this many suspicious fires would break out immediately after such an announcement. There is very likely a correlation between the two.

You guys have this all wrong, Its the cops lighting the fires so they will not lose there jobs. Thinking someone needs to get arested..

This isn't an inference; it's an out that out accusation that I think is inappropriate. Statistically speaking there have been a disturbing number of wannabe firefighters (note, I am not calling them firefighters because we all know that true firefighters don't start them) responsible for arson fires. I would be very disturbed and disappointed if any Flint firefighters were actually involved in this mayhem.

Having been in the city of flint I can say that it is a ghost town. I feel for the firefighters losing their jobs. But I am not surprised. After stopping at a small diner in flint it was quite obvious the only thing going up was the high school drop out rate. As said in previous posts I too hope that its not the firefighters themselves aren't setting these. I thought they were supposed to be teaching fire safty not arson 101.

This isn't an inference; it's an out that out accusation that I think is inappropriate. Statistically speaking there have been a disturbing number of wannabe firefighters (note, I am not calling them firefighters because we all know that true firefighters don't start them) responsible for arson fires. I would be very disturbed and disappointed if any Flint firefighters were actually involved in this mayhem.

Its more along the lines of sarcasm than an accusation, and any firefighter that lights fires should not be called a firefighter or a wannabe he should be called a convict.

What does that translate into? About 15 firefighters per shift?

How many are no duty in Mt. Vernon or any of our other smaller cities these days?

Yonkers has twice the population but is almost 1/2 the size.

Depending on the hours worked its 15 to 20 per shift. Flint has been trying to convince its union that they should increase there work week from 50.4 to a 56 hour work week.

Prior to the recent cuts, they had 125 FF's, now they have 65.

In 5 years they have closed 1/2 of there stations due to staffing. They now cover an area the size of Yonkers, Mt Vernon, Pelham and New Rochelle with 3 fire stations.

As of 2003 they had 6) 3 man engines, 2) 2 man squads, 1) 1 man ladder, 1) 1 man command and 1) 2 man ALS unit. At that time they were averaging 22,000 calls per year, with 791 structure fires (more than 2 per day).

Its more along the lines of sarcasm than an accusation, and any firefighter that lights fires should not be called a firefighter or a wannabe he should be called a convict.

That's one of the problems with these types of forums, sarcasm isn't so apparent in the written word.

Agreed, they're not firefighters and should all be in jail.

Yonkers has twice the population but is almost 1/2 the size.

Depending on the hours worked its 15 to 20 per shift. Flint has been trying to convince its union that they should increase there work week from 50.4 to a 56 hour work week.

Prior to the recent cuts, they had 125 FF's, now they have 65.

In 5 years they have closed 1/2 of there stations due to staffing. They now cover an area the size of Yonkers, Mt Vernon, Pelham and New Rochelle with 3 fire stations.

As of 2003 they had 6) 3 man engines, 2) 2 man squads, 1) 1 man ladder, 1) 1 man command and 1) 2 man ALS unit. At that time they were averaging 22,000 calls per year, with 791 structure fires (more than 2 per day).

Wow, seems like the politicians are really gambling with their constituents lives and property. Not unlike the local issues we've been having.

Five fires on thursday. Now the mutual-aid system is falling apart:

BURTON (WJRT) -- (04/01/10)--Burton's fire chief says his department will not come into the city of Flint to assist with fires.

It's the continued fallout from Flint's public safety layoffs. The decision not to help out the city comes after the layoffs of 23 firefighters and a rash of arson fires.

Several departments in our area have been taking a second look at their agreements to come in and help Flint fire if needed.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=7363268