Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Poughkeepsie NY 131 Washington St Assenza's Deli

14 posts in this topic

AWESOME PICS!

Having driven by this deli a million times and seeing the black char on the bricks for YEARS, I often wondered what this job was like! Thanks!

Nice pictures, really shows how fast things can get worse..... seeing how this is a " Learning site " and since I do not have the ( truck company experience ), Ladder # 2 appears to be totally wasted in this position. I am asking the more experiened truck guys here, should the Ladder of been place more forward and towards the center of the road...

I am not busting balls or try to make anyone look bad, just want to know more.. In Croton we are trying to think more of leaving room for our ladder, so this is the reason for my questioning.....

Nice pictures, really shows how fast things can get worse..... seeing how this is a " Learning site " and since I do not have the ( truck company experience ), Ladder # 2 appears to be totally wasted in this position. I am asking the more experiened truck guys here, should the Ladder of been place more forward and towards the center of the road...

I am not busting balls or try to make anyone look bad, just want to know more.. In Croton we are trying to think more of leaving room for our ladder, so this is the reason for my questioning.....

I'm no truckie, but I agree with you. Between the pole and the wires, the ladder stays in the cradle. If you look at some of the pictures toward the bottom, it looks like they eventually moved the truck out of the way, it's no longer at the curb. Same as you, no offense to PFD, just doesn't look right to this tanker driver.

Would love to hear from someone that was there. Isn't Truck 2 on upper Main St. and Truck 1 on N. Clover? That would have made T1 first due ladder, but T2 is in front of the building. T1 OOS, another alarm, or just out of the picture?

Used to go to this place occasionally way back when I was going to Marist College. Ah, the good old days.......

TAPSJ likes this

I'm no truckie, but I agree with you. Between the pole and the wires, the ladder stays in the cradle. If you look at some of the pictures toward the bottom, it looks like they eventually moved the truck out of the way, it's no longer at the curb. Same as you, no offense to PFD, just doesn't look right to this tanker driver.

Would love to hear from someone that was there. Isn't Truck 2 on upper Main St. and Truck 1 on N. Clover? That would have made T1 first due ladder, but T2 is in front of the building. T1 OOS, another alarm, or just out of the picture?

Used to go to this place occasionally way back when I was going to Marist College. Ah, the good old days.......

This fire took place during Kids Expo, I believe in the late '90's or early 00's. Ladder 2 was located on Main St., for the event and was blocked in due to the event, with a long delay in getting out. Ladder 1 was Out of Service with the Reserve Engine Running in its place. So obviously, by the time Ladder 2 was able to make it's way to the scene, there unfortuneatly wasn't much it could do. You are correct that Ladder 1 is located at Clover St., and Tower 2 is at Main St.

JetPhoto thanks for supporting Protection from the Past.

This fire took place during Kids Expo, I believe in the late '90's or early 00's. Ladder 2 was located on Main St., for the event and was blocked in due to the event, with a long delay in getting out. Ladder 1 was Out of Service with the Reserve Engine Running in its place. So obviously, by the time Ladder 2 was able to make it's way to the scene, there unfortuneatly wasn't much it could do. You are correct that Ladder 1 is located at Clover St., and Tower 2 is at Main St.

Good job. Thanks

There is a good spot on Orchard Place in a rear parking lot to ladder the building. You could ladder the 2nd floor rear windows and access the roof from that position. I carried that route when I worked for the Post Office back in the day. I remember that fire. I saw the Brothers in Poughkeepsie fight a lot of fire back then when I was employed by the U.S.P.S.

Edited by x134

Great photos!!!Also, thanks for sharing!

Very interesting series of photos, and comments as well. Okay, so you guys want to talk about truck placement. I think the truck is in a pretty good spot. The fantangle of wiring and the utility pole pretty much takes the aerial out of the picture without some radical move like....taking out the utility pole while spotting the rig (jk). Could it have been further out in the road? Yes. And the Chauffer went into his SOP of dropping the outriggers, probably while he was sizing up the structure.

What are the advantages of having the truck in this position?

~easy access to ground ladders IFO the fire building.

~" " to truck tools IFO " "".

Truck positioning is not ALL about the aerial. And the Engine is in a good spot, with three sides of the building covered, and an easier stretch off the hosebed.

Photo one; obviously free burning fire on level 2. One 1 1/2" stretched into the vertical of exposure 1. This fire graphically illustrates the dangers of VES. If you performed that with a ground ladder on exposure 1 you can see in photo two, the venting has been done across exposure 1 (probably with a 12' pike pole), and the fire is rapidly moving towards the vents.

Interesting in photo two we see steam from exposure 3, leading one could assume vent has been done of exposure 3 and a line is operating on level 2.

2 lines stretched, 1 in operation.

Photos three, four, five are out of chronological order, evidenced by the large scorch-mark in photo three.

Photos four, five show heavy smoke from exposure 3. This is where the fire is venting from the front and rear of the structure, and the interior lines are pushing fire out of the building. Once again showing effective truck work via horizontal ventilation, it is done front and rear. I imagine if they had adequate manpower and the line protecting them, there were members on level 3 doing a search.

What we are seeing is an apparent flashover of much of level 2, leading one to assume an open loft/type space.

Photo six shows us the first due engine on scene was Engine One. Lines are stretched and operating from that rig. Engine 2 might have layed in the supply line, thus winding up next to Engine 1. Much of the firefighting activity taking place at this point is through exposure 2, or 3, as that's where a charged handline leads.

Photo seven shows a less intense fire after the flashover.

Photo eight makes it clear to me members interior were operating with 1 1/2" handlines with fog nozzles that simply did not have the GPM to push the remaining fire out; thus the exterior knockdown. The deckgun being used is actually off of Engine 1, as we see Engine 2's in plain view not being used.

Photo 9 reminds me of the days when we weren't putting a gate on the opposite side of the hydrant. Fire K/D, P/W/H?

This series illustrates the effective fire attack PFD performed with minimal staffing. The members may have placed the aerial too close to the front of the structure, but they then went to work, and knew what they had to do. Kudos to them for a great job.

This fire also illustrates the sturdyness of some of the type 3 construction out there. From the decorative cornice on down, this building was designed and built to withstand a fire. Can we still say that about our "buildings" today?

JetPhoto and x635 like this

Can anyone tell me why PFD is wearing 3/4 boots? And did they have to jump through hoops to have the right to wear them? Also i may add have only heard good things about PFD, and these pictures are great, thanks for posting them. STAY SAFE

Can anyone tell me why PFD is wearing 3/4 boots? And did they have to jump through hoops to have the right to wear them? Also i may add have only heard good things about PFD, and these pictures are great, thanks for posting them. STAY SAFE

It's an older series of photos when 3/4 boots were standard issue in the fire service.

Edited by efdcapt115

As mentioned, this is fire from back in the late 90's/early 00's...

However - if memory serves correct - the PFD resisted the changeover to bunker pants till the very end, and were the last department locally to surrender....

Viva la 3/4 Boots!