Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Eastchester's New Engine 29

20 posts in this topic

While at the KME plant last Friday Eastchester's new E29 was in the Delivery garage and I had to get pic's of it.

Check out the back step with the "third stop light" and trailer hitch.

post-27-12659412183.jpg

post-27-126594123253.jpg

post-27-12659412495.jpg

post-27-126594126047.jpg

post-27-12659412732.jpg

post-27-126594128396.jpg

post-27-126594129828.jpg

post-27-126594132838.jpg

post-27-126594136645.jpg

post-27-126594138107.jpg

post-27-126594139371.jpg

post-27-126594141028.jpg

post-27-126594142243.jpg

Edited by SteveOFD

Awesome looking truck! Best of luck with it!

Note the short wheel base. Bronxville has notorious original cobblestone roadways; twisting, hilly and tight, creating the neccesity of the tight wheelbase. This is why they kept the '86 Mack in service this long, it is short like this one.

The bumper hitch is for the Zodiac boat, quartered in the Station 3 Bronxville with E-29.

I also see a nice telescoping light bar on the roof.

This is a very sharp looking rig, well designed. I'm hoping a member of EFDs apparatus committee might come on here and give us a rundwown of the specs and capabilities.

*I just noticed the engine has no front suction. I think this would be the first new pumper in a very long while in Eastchester (aside from a spare maybe) since the American LaFrance pumpers of the mid 1950s without front suction, which became more or less SOP for the job for many decades; a practical application when engine companies only had a career Chauffer.

Edited by efdcapt115
FiftyOnePride and FFLieu like this

Great Looking Rig. It appears as if this rig was "designed" with THE VILLAGE OF BRONXVILLE in mind. Question for memebers of EFD? Was the designed to go with a KME strictly on lowest bid or was this the rig that made the most sense for this application, since this, I believe, is the very first KME Rig in the history of EFD? (were Pierce, Smeal, ALF, and others considered as well?)

*I just noticed the engine has no front suction. I think this would be the first new pumper in a very long while in Eastchester (aside from a spare maybe) since the American LaFrance pumpers of the mid 1950s without front suction, which became more or less SOP for the job for many decades; a practical application when engine companies only had a career Chauffer.

Unless I'm missing something, or they are tucked away in the large rear compartment, I don't see any hard suction at all.

Unless I'm missing something, or they are tucked away in the large rear compartment, I don't see any hard suction at all.

The the rig may have been spec'd without hard tubes.... I've seen it for urban departments that have little to no need for drafting. Their entire district and every district for 20 miles has hydrants throughout.

Edited by mfc2257

If I am not mistaking, for it to be a "Class A" pumper, you don't need hard suction under the new standards. I may be wrong but I remember something like that when I was working on the specs for a pumper.

I hope Eastchester has great luck with thier new rig and has many years of service with it!

The '86 Mack it will replace was purchased under Chief Reid, originally new as Engine 27, eventually moving down to Bronxville as E-29. The word back in that day was how the Mack was a "floor model" he bought at a trade show, built cheaply, won't last, etc. Well, 24 years as a frontline rig later, I'd say it's earned it's final rest, and Chief Reid's purchase turned out to have been a wise one.

The three ALFs EFD are running do not carry hard suction either.

FiftyOnePride likes this

Two other items of interest on this rig I did not get pics of. The cab is set up with four seats (two in front and two forward facing in the rear cab), and the outside compartments behind the Driver and Officer have a SCBA bracket in each.

Any pictures from inside the cab?

As stated above I did not get any pic's of the inside of the cab.

If I am not mistaking, for it to be a "Class A" pumper, you don't need hard suction under the new standards. I may be wrong but I remember something like that when I was working on the specs for a pumper.

I hope Eastchester has great luck with thier new rig and has many years of service with it!

Hard suction has to be at the ready , can cn be on the rig or at the Firehouse on a rack in the bay .

Any update on delivery and/or in-service. I was by the Bronxville station the other day, and the only rig was Shrek (L-15 was not in there either).

Department took Del. early this week of the New Eng. 29 And believe it will be ready in a few weeks to go in service

Please help support the Brothers of Eastchester Firefighters Local 916 In this worth while fundraising event to help raise money for Child Cancer Research

www.stbaldricks.org/teams/mypage/teamid/66477

Edited by gruber166
efdcapt115 likes this

took a gamble and went to there st patricks day parade today and to my surprise their 2009 KME

post-18231-126972096189.jpg

engine 27 a 2000 ALF. It also carries the hurst tool

post-18231-126972110891.jpg

I saw this engine during our recent standby down in Eastchester, and the pictures do not do it justice... It is a great looking rig, I wish the best to those who use it...