Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ems-buff

New Rochelle Fire 3-8-05 Discussion

34 posts in this topic

Does anyone Know if When to a 3rd Alarm was Call

I think so. Mount vernon brought 1 E and 1 L to the scene along with an off-duty New Rochelle Truck. I'm guessing it went to a 3rd?

Pelham Manor TL 3 is also in NR.

is anyone o/s for pic this one must be cooking good cus of the wind i think they siad it spread to the next bluiding does anyone know that or is o/s so we can get pic

What is a signal 10-10?

Yonkers is also in NR along with Greenville, heard them dispatched with Greenville Ladder to a call in the North end

Signal 10-10 means  * EMERGENCY RADIO USE ONLY*

New Rochelle FD 46.06, WCFD fire ground 1 453.0375, & 46.26

This is in fact a 3rd alarm - so I am told. I understand it is a fire involving multiple commercial buildings.

Units working:

NRFD: E18, E21, E22, E23, E24, E25, TL11, L12, L13, L14, R4, 2301, 2302

NREMS: 30A1, 30A3, 30B1, Supervisor (30M1)

FDMV: E202, L62

NRPD, Red Cross, Salvation Army, United Water, WCDES FieldCom 1

Stand-By units:

Station 1: Eastchester E31, Pelham Manor TL3

Station 3: Yonkers E313, Greenville L4

2303 is also manned covering the City.

Update @01:05 - E313 returning to Yonkers, Pelham engine being requested to cover.

E5 relocating @01:15 to Station 3.

All Mutual Aid is clear of New Rochelle at 03:42.

Units still operating include 2302, E21, E25, E18, TL11, L12, L14, 30A1. Other companies are back in service to cover the City.

All of the Mutual Aid coverage units handled several additional alarms within the City of New Rochelle as well.

It's a cold night out there - my thoughts are with you all!!!

Original fire building was a three story commercial with a taxpayer on the first floor. Exposure 4 (as used by the I/C) is a two story commercial with a taxpayer on first floor as well. Also, there was a two story structure of some sort in the rear of the fire building that the fire also extended into. Very heavy smoke made visibility extremely limited and the wind blew it all over the place.

Exposure one is Main St and exposure two is a 5 or 6 story apartment. The building to the right of exposure 4 was also a 5 or 6 story apartment.

Fire moved quickly towards the rear of the buildings to which there was very limited access. Both apartment buildings were evacuated.

Update @01:05 - E313 returning to Yonkers, Pelham engine being requested to cover.

why is Yonkers leaving????

Im not sure, i didnt catch the reason. Pelham responded with E5 at 01:11 hours to replace them at Station 3.

Three ALS buses available from the scene and 30B1 taken out of service at 01:26 hours.

Mt Vernon attempting to pick up at 01:27 hours.

anyone know anything else on the other alarms handled by M/A??? hopefully nothing serious

I was on scene until about 12:45-1:00. Fire was actully 2 doors down from C-Town. There was a computer store and gourmet deli on the first floor. There was heavy fire from the rear of the building. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera, Sorry. GFD L4 and YFD E313 took in 2 auto. alarms at the same house b/w the time they relocated and the time I left. Also, FDMV took in a smoke investigation around the block from the fire but it was just smoke blown over from the fire. NRFD did a great job to protect the two adjoining buildings.

E313 and Ladder 4 took in a residential alarm with car 2303. They then went back to that same alarm a little later with a 10-20 response. Both were malfunctions.

E31 and TL3 took in an alarm on Pelham Road, turned out to be smoke coming from the Main St fire. E31 also took in some wires down and burning at Pratt and Main Sts.

Before being redirected to the scene, Mt Vernon took in an "unknown fire" in the area of Prospect and Church Sts . That too was smoke from the original Main St fire.

Those are the only ones i know as of 01:40 hours. There might have been one or two more.

Just waking up for work, heard 60 Control advise 2302 that E21 & 30A1 are transporting one firefighter experiencing cardiac symptoms. Anyone know more on this??? Were there anymore injuries??

Fire destroys two businesses

By BILL HUGHES

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: March 9, 2005)

NEW ROCHELLE — Two buildings on Main Street were engulfed in flames early this morning in a wind-swept fire that destroyed at least two businesses on the commercial strip.

Firefighters fought the two-alarm blaze in frigid temperatures that froze the cascading streams of water in seconds.

The fire started about 10:30 p.m. at Edible Arrangements, a business at 546 Main St., between Leroy Place and Westchester Place, just west of Division Street, fire officials said. 

The flames spread quickly to the two floors above the store and to an adjoining business called CCC Computers.

A two-story building to the west of 546 Main St. also caught fire and was subsequently gutted. It was believed that smoke from the fire set off alarms at the C-Town Supermarket at 538 Main St.

It was too early to determine the cause of the blaze, Fire Commissioner Raymond Kiernan said at the scene. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters were pouring water onto the roofs from above in the so-called "surround-and-drown" technique, in an attempt to prevent the flames from spreading.

George Cuttitto, a concierge at 25 Leroy Place, a condominium building next door, said he noticed smoke coming into the lobby of his building at 10:40 p.m.

"One of the tenants of the east side of the building pulled the fire alarm," Cuttitto said. "She did the right thing. You can never overreact in a situation like this."

At first, the smoke was so dense in the lobby that it was virtually impossible to see, Cuttitto said. Fire officials went up on the condominiums' roof to make sure the building was not in jeopardy.

A tower ladder and an engine from Mount Vernon assisted New Rochelle firefighters. A West- chester County Office of Emergency Management communications vehicle also was at the scene.

As of 12:30 a.m., firefighters were still seeking to contain the fire.

Kudos to everyone working on the scene. I can only imagine what the conditions were like with the cold temps and gusty winds.

Just saw the story on News 12 - WOW - ice was everywhere. According to News 12 - there are still a few units on location picking up, investigating. They had some hot spots earlier this morning. Also -they said 4 firefighter injuries, 1 possibly cardiac related, others from falling on ice. Main St. between Centre Ave. and Division St. remain closed. I hope somebody got some good picts!

Also, best wishes to the injured firefighters.

i have some photos, it was just way too cold to be outside.....

There had to be a reason why Yonkers decided to go home at 1 AM. Maybe they didn't want to cover an empty New Rochelle firehouse. It just dosen't make sense. :-k

Maybe it had to do with the fact there wasnt a chance they were going to get called to the scene. Maybe also they dont like staying outside to cover for more than a certain amount of time? They are usually good about getting companies out as quick as they can when they do call mutual aid. Just some thoughts.

well i was wondering if, like in the old days, yonkers dosent like to and will return apparatus if they are only going to be used for "standing by" and not going to the scene to work. They have done this in the past, but they have no hesitation pulling companies to stand by in yonkers.

we all would rather go to the scene and work, but stand bys are just as important as protecting the citizens.

I dont know what happened last night just a thought...

You are correct when you say Yonkers has no problems calling companies in for Stand-by duty. However, a small fact that you didnt mention, that Pudge3311 did mention, is that Yonkers sends Stand-by companies home as fast as they can. This is done by utilizing call backs to staff reserve and spare rigs. So as soon as Yonkers can get another rig in service, they send a M/A company home.

Has nothing to do with the Yonkers Firefighters....That situation is All Political B.S. :roll: :roll:

Kudos shantz - Yonkers always does the right thing by recalling members right away and staffing reserve rigs to protect the city and allow the mutual aid companies to return to their home cities

as quickly as possible so they may properly protect their districts.

Yonkers even calls in members to man reserve rigs to backfill companies that are needed in an extended mutual aid incedent in another city.

This Is The Way Mutual Aid Is Designed To Work......

As cold as it was last night standing by in a warm firehouse doesn't seem like a bad deal.

DFFD, your right.. I wanted to say that when I started but forgot to. I have all the respect in the world for the firefighters down in the trenches, as for the political people well i cant say what i feel here.....