Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest fire84

Yonkers Urban Search and Rescue Team

10 posts in this topic

I noticed that the YFD has good equipment for Urban Search and Rescue. A question as to belong to the team, for example a fireman belonging to the 307 engine, it can be part of the team of Urban Search and Rescue (USAR)?

Every response (deployment) would depend on the circumstances and the resources available at the specific time.

In regards to who would respond at any given time - it would be primarily members of the Rescue, Squad, SOC & additional personnel could be chosen by individual specialty (paramedic, logistics, comms etc.) or company specialty (extrication, airbags, hazmat, etc).

On a recent deployment to operation Vigilant Guard - we deployed over 50 personel - members ranged from Tech to Ops level - In a nutshell any deployment be it HazMat, USAR or whatever would most likely include members from most if not every company.

What would be done to ensure proper staffing at home?

then most of the rescue team in buildings (USAR) are a RESCUE 1, SQUAD 11, collapse unit and Paramedics.

What would be done to ensure proper staffing at home?

Yonkers FD has a variety of staffing preplans and callback teams to ensure proper staffing of all companies when specialized teams are deployed.

For when they go "out of town" to an official disaster, all staffing and overtime are generally paid for by FEMA.

then most of the rescue team in buildings (USAR) are a RESCUE 1, SQUAD 11, collapse unit and Paramedics.

Not really. Many Yonkers firefighters are highly trained in hazmat, USAR,collapse, emergency firefighting water supply operations, etc etc, and can supplement the SOC when needed.

Also, Yonkers FD, when Rescue 2 (R1's spare) is tied up at an incident, R2 will be staffed so the city isn't down a rescue company should another incident occur.

some firefighters spread across different seasons, and much training in hazardous materials, USE, collapse, emergency fire-fighting operations of water supply, are part of the Urban Search and Rescue (usar).

Edited by fire84

Yonkers FD has a variety of staffing preplans and callback teams to ensure proper staffing of all companies when specialized teams are deployed.

For when they go "out of town" to an official disaster, all staffing and overtime are generally paid for by FEMA.

I wasn't aware that FEMA would reimburse local USAR teams for the personnel salaries incurred when they respond outside of their jurisdiction. I was under the impression that FEMA only reimburses the US&R Task Forces that are trained and equipped by FEMA. FEMA USAR Teams

I wasn't aware that FEMA would reimburse local USAR teams for the personnel salaries incurred when they respond outside of their jurisdiction. I was under the impression that FEMA only reimburses the US&R Task Forces that are trained and equipped by FEMA. FEMA USAR Teams

The Yonkers team, while a highly trained and well equipped team isn't a FEMA team.

It all depends if the state or the feds declare a state of emergency - that generally starts the ball rolling towards reimbursement.

FEMA will reimburse local communities for expenses during certain federally declared disasters. This doesn't mean that when you have a local "disaster" the feds are footing the bill! There are many variables that determine when/if there will be any reimbursement however when there is a declaration, payroll costs and equipment/supplies usually can be included and that is not limited to USAR.