Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjpinto

FDNY Apparatus 5-13-10

18 posts in this topic

Was at the FDNY Training Center late this afternoon today for my Honorary Fire Officers Dinner and Meeting and I was able to photograph a number of pieces of apparatus that were there for training. Two Ladders marked as Ladder 62 and 71 are used either for TV or Movie scenes.

post-193-127380412161.jpg

post-193-12738041387.jpg

post-193-127380415677.jpg

post-193-127380417799.jpg

post-193-127380419529.jpg

post-193-127380422295.jpg

post-193-12738042458.jpg

post-193-127380426553.jpg

post-193-127380428883.jpg

post-193-127380432557.jpg

ryang, TAPSJ and efdcapt115 like this

Did you by chance get any other apparatus photos?

How Does FDNY afford to use almost brand new apparatus ( and we all know that seagrave isn't cheap) as bureau of training units? Can someone explain that to me?

How Does FDNY afford to use almost brand new apparatus ( and we all know that seagrave isn't cheap) as bureau of training units? Can someone explain that to me?

I would think that in a department of that size, it would be important with those attending the academy (probies or those already on the job) to have at least one unit of current spec to familiarize themselves with, especially in the case of FDNY's current order of Marauder II chassis which are different than the existing fleet of Seagrave rigs that are no longer in production. There is a large supply of older apparatus at The Rock for training as well... Basic pump ops, truck ops, etc can be done on any rig.... But at some point you need the most up-to-date rig to finish your apparatus training.

If I'm not mistaken one of the first, if not the very first tower and engine on a Marauder II went to The Rock.

Edited by mfc2257

The new Seagrave is the first of it's kind for us. That goes for both Tower Ladders and Engines. It is vastly different than the previous models. When you have a fleet of 200+ standard engines and 150+ standard trucks, you need to have one of each for training. Only stands to reason. Those Bureau of Training rigs will serve the academy for a decade and beyond, hardly wasted money. The order was for 70 engines and the BOT rig was the 71st. Engines, for us, cost about $600,000 (if someone knows the correct figure, correct me!). That price is inclusive of extra parts and the warranty. For an apparatus purchase in the neighborhood of 40 million dollars...whats another few hundred grand.

Another thing.....that investment will last 10 years. Spread 40 million out over that decade and you only get 4 million a year. That's a pretty small percentage of a budget that closes in on 2 billion annually.

efdcapt115 and PoqFFEMT like this

The new Seagrave is the first of it's kind for us. That goes for both Tower Ladders and Engines. It is vastly different than the previous models. When you have a fleet of 200+ standard engines and 150+ standard trucks, you need to have one of each for training. Only stands to reason. Those Bureau of Training rigs will serve the academy for a decade and beyond, hardly wasted money. The order was for 70 engines and the BOT rig was the 71st. Engines, for us, cost about $600,000 (if someone knows the correct figure, correct me!). That price is inclusive of extra parts and the warranty. For an apparatus purchase in the neighborhood of 40 million dollars...whats another few hundred grand.

Another thing.....that investment will last 10 years. Spread 40 million out over that decade and you only get 4 million a year. That's a pretty small percentage of a budget that closes in on 2 billion annually.

Thank You for educating me on, That I was under the impression that BOT usually used old Rigs, but i see that if FDNY is Fielding 70 of those other rigs than it is a good idea to have at least one that will transition when the recruit leaves training.

the ladder 62 is the centerpiece apparatus on the tv show "rescue me"

Rescue Me at last check used a 2006 Pierce Rearmount....

Rescue Me at last check used a 2006 Pierce Rearmount....

For seasons 1 and 2 they were using an E-One, they got the Pierce for season 3. I think in the pilot episode they had a different truck as well. the ladder in the photo here looks kinda like the one in the pilot.

For seasons 1 and 2 they were using an E-One, they got the Pierce for season 3. I think in the pilot episode they had a different truck as well. the ladder in the photo here looks kinda like the one in the pilot.

The original Pierce ladder was sold to a VFD in I think PA after that season. It was replaced with another Pierce ladder and if I remember correctly, this one lacked a lot of the normal FDNY markings.

The original Pierce ladder was sold to a VFD in I think PA after that season. It was replaced with another Pierce ladder and if I remember correctly, this one lacked a lot of the normal FDNY markings.

This aerial has been purchased by the Telford Volunteer Fire Company in Montgomery/Bucks County PA. It is currently being outfitted for delivery by Pierce. Expected delivery is April 2009.

This aerial has been purchased by the Telford Volunteer Fire Company in Montgomery/Bucks County PA. It is currently being outfitted for delivery by Pierce. Expected delivery is April 2009.

I am reading this quote in that the delivery is coming up in 2009 or the post is meant to say 2010

I am reading this quote in that the delivery is coming up in 2009 or the post is meant to say 2010

I was wondering about it, Im not sure just what I found after a quick Google

Another thing.....that investment will last 10 years.

Try running an HME in the city for 10 years, hahaha. It would be in interesting economic study to see the total costs (initial + maint.) for running an HME vs. a Seagrave in the city for 10 years.

Thank You for educating me on, That I was under the impression that BOT usually used old Rigs, but i see that if FDNY is Fielding 70 of those other rigs than it is a good idea to have at least one that will transition when the recruit leaves training.

No problem, just FYI, recruits don't learn anything about pumping/driving while in the academy. It won't be for a few years when they are sent back to Chauffeur School.

Rescue Me lacks a lot of real FDNY ANYTHING

Try running an HME in the city for 10 years, hahaha. It would be in interesting economic study to see the total costs (initial + maint.) for running an HME vs. a Seagrave in the city for 10 years.

I THINK that some rigs have had HME cabs in the past and they did okay. Yonkers seems to do okay with them as well. I've said this before, it's not who makes the rig. It's how it's made based on what the specs are.

Rescue Me lacks a lot of real FDNY ANYTHING

I don't doubt that in the least.

The 1996 version of Rescues 1-5 were on HME chassis.

M' Ave likes this

The 1996 version of Rescues 1-5 were on HME chassis.

Right! Thanks, thats what I was thinking of.