Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jd783

New SCBA

12 posts in this topic

Looks pretty damn comfortable. id like to try one out when they become more available. Id also like to here what the guys who tested it have to say.

At the Congressional Fire Services Institute conference in DC last month, DHS was showing off some Science and Tech exhibits to members of Congress, and I got a chance to try one of these on. I CANNOT wait until these hit production. Light, small, reduces the need for someone to go Lo-Pro through studs during a wall breach. They are a bit wide though, but not on the more broad shouldered guys.

At the Congressional Fire Services Institute conference in DC last month, DHS was showing off some Science and Tech exhibits to members of Congress, and I got a chance to try one of these on. I CANNOT wait until these hit production. Light, small, reduces the need for someone to go Lo-Pro through studs during a wall breach. They are a bit wide though, but not on the more broad shouldered guys.

since you had the opportunity to try one of these on, how much less does this new unit weigh over the unit we currently use today? are they alot more comfortable to wear?

In looking at the photo series on FH.com, I didn't think it looked all that compact. Sure it's slightly less in depth, but minimally compared to a 4500 psi 30 min. cylinder. Anyone know this one's rated capacity? Pics compare it to 45 min 4.5 bottles. Also, It looks like it covers your back like a backpack, which will be much hotter for the 75% of time you're not actually in the real heat of the fire. Also it's fairly long overall. On the plus side, it looks like there's not much to get hung up on with falling cables, wires and drop ceiling grid.

It's certainly a step in making the next generation, but I'm skeptical. I've yet to see anything that would make me switch from the wire frame Scott 4.5, maybe I'm showing my age?

Edited by antiquefirelt

since you had the opportunity to try one of these on, how much less does this new unit weigh over the unit we currently use today? are they alot more comfortable to wear?

Much, much lighter. I was wearing a 45-minute model, and it felt much lighter and more comfortable than a 30 minute SCOTT, and I was wearing a suit when I had it on, haha.

Much, much lighter. I was wearing a 45-minute model, and it felt much lighter and more comfortable than a 30 minute SCOTT, and I was wearing a suit when I had it on, haha.

Hey Sage,

What is holding in the air supply? Is there a metal tank inside, or is it some kind of flexible bladder?

Can you describe the front of the pack? Strap configuration, PASS alarm, etc?

Thanks.

Edited by efdcapt115

In looking at the photo series on FH.com, I didn't think it looked all that compact. Sure it's slightly less in depth, but minimally compared to a 4500 psi 30 min. cylinder. Anyone know this one's rated capacity? Pics compare it to 45 min 4.5 bottles. Also, It looks like it covers your back like a backpack, which will be much hotter for the 75% of time you're not actually in the real heat of the fire. Also it's fairly long overall. On the plus side, it looks like there's not much to get hung up on with falling cables, wires and drop ceiling grid.

It's certainly a step in making the next generation, but I'm skeptical. I've yet to see anything that would make me switch from the wire frame Scott 4.5, maybe I'm showing my age?

Don't worry. You'll be using your "old" 4.5 for a long time. Nationwide FF's are being laid off, and I don't know of any FD that can afford to give away their 4.5's and buy the slim jim model.

Personally, if I were crawling down a hot hallway, I would rather have 2 bruthas in old Scotts than only one guy in the new one. Put the new pak on my wish list, but don't lay off my Firefighter.

Sorry, that's the times we are in.

efdcapt115 and FiftyOnePride like this

Don't worry. You'll be using your "old" 4.5 for a long time. Nationwide FF's are being laid off, and I don't know of any FD that can afford to give away their 4.5's and buy the slim jim model.

Personally, if I were crawling down a hot hallway, I would rather have 2 bruthas in old Scotts than only one guy in the new one. Put the new pak on my wish list, but don't lay off my Firefighter.

Sorry, that's the times we are in.

Amen.

Hey Sage,

What is holding in the air supply? Is there a metal tank inside, or is it some kind of flexible bladder?

Can you describe the front of the pack? Strap configuration, PASS alarm, etc?

Thanks.

I believe it is high temp proof liner with kevlar and carbon fiber woven into eachother to form the outside. As for the rest I know nothing - that is just what I read in a report Captain.

I think if you had the unfortunate experience of falling on your back with the new air pack compared to a current cylinder you would want the new one.

Keep the firefighters, but there is also the lease option.

I believe it is high temp proof liner with kevlar and carbon fiber woven into eachother to form the outside. As for the rest I know nothing - that is just what I read in a report Captain.

Thanks Lieu.