Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Tarryown FD New Utility 61

16 posts in this topic

Also, Thursday night I heard TT Dispatch notify all Department members that the new Utility 61 is now in service. According to the above link the Village purchased a used 1996 Volvo Rescue with a cascade system on it.

Edited by x635
Split from another thread

According to LFD171's website the four Engines and the Ladder are E-1's. The Tower Ladder and the Utility are not.

Also, Thursday night I heard TT Dispatch notify all Department members that the new Utility 61 is now in service. According to the above link the Village purchased a used 1996 Volvo Rescue with a cascade system on it.

Thanks for the heads up, Steve. So is this going to become a Rescue Truck or utility? The only Volvo Rescue I can remember seeing is the old one from the Port Authority FD, which was being sold.

(Scroll down)

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/specialunits/papd.htm

Also, how much room for manpower does this have,and where would it be housed?

this truck has 5 scba seats in the walk in box plus 2 seats in the cab. it has a 6 bottle cascade system installed after the purchase. IT was the former port authority truck and it replaces the old U-61 and will keep the same designation.

this truck has 5 scba seats in the walk in box plus 2 seats in the cab. it has a 6 bottle cascade system installed after the purchase. IT was the former port authority truck and it replaces the old U-61 and will keep the same designation.

Will it be repainted? I remember seeing this truck in 1996 at LGA airport, and it was awesome. I believe someone had said that the PAFD obtained it from a volunteer company. Will it be house outside Riverside like U-61 is?

Also, what will be done with the current U-61? I know Stiloski's and Tarrytown FD members put a lot of work into it, will you be keeping it for others purposes or selling it? I'm sure there would be other departments that would love to have the old U-61 if you guys aren't keeping it.

Best of luck in your new aqquisition.

it was relettered and striped with an irish flag chevron in the back. The village per their current procurement policy will put the old one on auction to help offset the cost of the Vilvo. It cost just over $50 K with the cascade purchase and install included. It is head and sholders above what we run with now and will be a great addition.It will also carry the paratech strut system, a plethora of water rescue PPE and equipment along with HAZMAT, extinguishers, rehab capabilities, along with salvage and overhaul equipment. It also has a 25 KW generator plus air and electric cord reels.

x129K likes this

While I was doing some Radio Testing down by the Tarrytown Train Station We had about 20 minutes to kill and I found this sitting across from the firehouse. I took a quick shot.

post-193-127457276204.jpg

Edited by jjpinto

Oh......it's....interesting looking, isn't it?

That thing is.... Ugly... But looks like a workhorse. That is quite the front light package... What will it's purpose be?

is that an old Port Authority rescue looks like it could be

This is the former Port Authority Police Rescue. This is a 1995 Volvo/PL Custom. You can see this apparatus on Mike Martenelli's site when it was in service with the Port Authority Police. This is still being retrofitted by the members of the Tarrytown Fire Department and hopefully in a few weeks a new updated photo will be shown.

Edited by jjpinto

ANy reason why it's not being called a "rescue" instead a "utility"?

Which firehouse will it be housed at and will it be inside? I know TFD has some space restraints.

by the looks of it the Utility will be at Riverside Hose Accross the street from I don't think they have much room to fit it inside

Yes, this is replacing the old Coke truck. While it looks a lot bigger than the old truck, it is carrying all the same gear, minus the new cascade, the generator and cord reels, and added room for manpower. The old utility only allowed for a total of 3 tightly packed firefighters to sit in the front. It also allows for everything to be more organized, as everything else used to be stored in bins that were stacked in the compartments and a pain in the rear end to move around.

And Seth, just as the members put a lot of work into the old utilty, we put just as much, if not more into this unit. And the unique look is starting to grow on me.