Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

New Haven, CT New Truck 3

11 posts in this topic

New Haven FD just took delivery of a new Pierce Arrow XT 100 ft. rear mount aerial assigned to Truck 3 (Lombard Street Station).

Just a bare bones truck with a pre-piped waterway that is only connected to the bed section of the aerial to lower the overall height of the rig do to height restrictions in its first due area. The rig comes with a detachable ladder pipe for use for high master stream operations.

The new Pierce replaces a 1990s Seagrave 100' RM.

http://www.piercemfg.com/DeliveryDetail.html?DeliveryId=d0f3f8fe-8a8f-466c-ab78-accb2eaff602

Pretty nice rig. It looks like the same cab design as their Engine's 15 and 17. With the amount of runs they do, New Haven can sure use it!

Does anybody know if the old Truck 3's going into reserve status?

Wow, very basic and stripped down. Don't see to many ladders like that nowadays.

New Haven, busy city with some seriously rough/fire prone areas. What's with the "Medium Duty" designation for the rig? Seems to me that they, and any other city, shouldn't have anything designated as medium duty. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but wouldn't it less able to take the beating of running around a busy city?

New Haven, busy city with some seriously rough/fire prone areas. What's with the "Medium Duty" designation for the rig? Seems to me that they, and any other city, shouldn't have anything designated as medium duty. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but wouldn't it less able to take the beating of running around a busy city?

Aren't all of FDNY's ladders "light duty"? Aerial ratings are based on the tip load and nothingt o do with the chassis, short of being able to carry the load of the aerial.

IIRC If your tip load is 250 to 499 it's a light duty aerial, 500-749 is medium duty and 750+ is considered a heavy duty aerial. I think the "rule of thumb" is that if you have only one set of outriggers, it's a light duty and the others require two sets to attain their rating.

SFRD18 - Yes the 1990 Seagrave will become Truck 3A, replacing the older Seagrave rearmount that was already disposed of. And yes it is an Arrow XT just as Engine 15 & 17's rigs. NHFD may purchase more rigs on the Arrow XT chassis but this is not confirmed yet. I'm trying to find this out.

Huzzie59 - The price tag was around $650,000. Pierce out bid Seagrave for the truck, which NHFD runs two Seagrave TDAs. Seagrave's price was way too high (sounds too familiar lately with that company and its sad).

M'Ave - New Truck 3 has a 250 lbs. tip load (the medium duty designation) and is used mostly as a straight truck. Yes they do have a detachable ladder pipe and also a "bed pipe" for this rig. The main problem they went with the "medium duty" is because of their response area. The Fair Haven section has a lot of low overpass height restrictions in their area (aka the rail lines, some bridges, ect.) With this, they could not go with a heavy duty rear mount as the specs had to keep the overall apparatus height low. Also remember, New Haven also runs 2 Seagrave TDAs (Truck 2 and 4), a Sutphen tower ladder (Truck 1) and a Sutphen 75' quint (Engine 5). Yes, New Haven is a city that does have a lot of jobs, however, their apparatus committee, chiefs and officers are very progressive and also looking for what is best for their operations.

This is the first time I have seen a Pierce Arrow XT that didnt have an air coinditioning unit on top of the truck.

Edited by TheNewLadder32

This is the first time I have seen a Pierce Arrow XT that didnt have an air coinditioning unit on top of the truck.

Actually there have been several XTs that have been ordered without AC. Both engines New Haven operates do not have them and there is another in CT I believe that was ordered without it.

I believe all FDNY aerials are now medium duty rated. The old Seagraves were considered light duty. From the mid 90's is when the change started to medium duty, the older seagraves were cable and drum, now the newer are all hydraulic no more ladder locks and so on.

FDNY had 4 heavy duty Seagrave 110' aerials in 89 and 90, they never purchased any after the initial 4, started getting the medium duty after that. L-4,38,49 & 165 had the 110' aerials.

Edited by Mac8146