Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spyda308

Advice on Psych Exam

19 posts in this topic

So I'm scheduled to take a written psychological exam within the next coming weeks and I was wondering what it involves. Any Advice?

So I'm scheduled to take a written psychological exam within the next coming weeks and I was wondering what it involves. Any Advice?

Some written tests will indirectly assess if you are being truthful; or trying to influence the results. If you take any multiple choice tests with lots of questions; there is a good chance that the results may include this type of indicator.

edited for spelling, (as usual)

Edited by JimmyPFD

Yeah, leave the tin foil hat at home. :D

Who are you taking the exam for?

The psych test is not something you can prepare for, nor is it something you should worry about. They test I took was predominantly multiple choice/true or false questions. They ask LOTS of them, over and over again. You also have to draw a picture, or maybe it was a couple of pictures, I don't remember exactly. Draw simple things and don't try too hard. I have no idea what they're looking for, but I would find it hard to believe that they scrutinize all of the lousy drawings they get. Perhaps they use it if they find some issue with your multiple choice portion.

The sane answer in the multiple choice portion should be fairly clear and sometimes it will be painfully obvious. You don't hear voices and no one commands you to do anything.

Relax, I've never heard of anyone failing the psych.

"And I waked in and sat down and they gave me a piece of paper, said, "Kid, see the phsychiatrist, room604."

"And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, Iwanna, I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood andgore and guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill,Kill,KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL,KILL," and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping upand down yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medalon me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

:D

wraftery likes this

"And I waked in and sat down and they gave me a piece of paper, said, "Kid, see the phsychiatrist, room604."

"And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, Iwanna, I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood andgore and guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill,Kill,KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL,KILL," and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping upand down yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medalon me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Ahh a Thanksgiving Day tradition by Arlo Guthrie. My father actually worked at Alice's at one time, and then went back and lived in Stockbridge many years later. Nice place from what I remember (Stockbridge that is, Alices was long gone as I recall). Edited by antiquefirelt

When I took the Psych I think it was a few hundred questions, it's easy, just tell them what they want to hear but keep your answers consistent, they ask the same questions a lot of ways and a lot of times during the test.

If they ask you if you hear voices say no, don't be like an ex partner of mine who said yes and during the oral psych exam the shrink called him on it and he said " I hear your voice, I hear voices from the other room, of course I hear voices !" Obviously he got the job but that didn't go over too well with the shrink, they tend to not have much of a sense of humor.

John, when they throw the net, duck and run!

Pinned a medal on him? For his answers on the Psych? Must have been the Army. lol.

I can tell you this..if they ask you to draw a house...draw it with windows..lol. Those who know me...have heard that story.

If they ask you to draw a tree..draw it as you see it or have always done as a kid and enjoy what they tell you each things means. Just don't forget the leaves..and if you want...throw in some people underneath playing catch, having a picnic and a dog or some kinda animals. They love that crap.

The multiple choice ones tend to be long in my experience and as someone stated often ask the same type of question in different wording or format. You are also often evaluated by being observed while taking the test. It can be frustrating and boring as hell. If you are starting to feel fatigued or start to pick up on the fact its the same premise of several other questions, don't let your frustration show and put your pencil down once in a while sit up take a nice breath even stretch if you have to. Remember when it really comes down to it...Psych tests in a way are like a game...a chess match. And if you are a Marine be prepared to possibly be told you are a trained sociopath. I loved that shrink that did my eval.

The test is a version of the minnesota multiphasic personality inventory test. Its designed to find major psych issues. Plenty of "unique" individuals have no problems passing. Its a very long test that asks a few questions over and over again in a variety of different ways. Its written that way so you cannot out think it. After the test is scored you either move on to the next step, get an interview with the shrink or fail. Interview is just to clarify some questions raised by the test. Don't worry about the test. Its long, boring, and very few people fail it.

There were 7 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows on the front and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one was and how it could be used as evidence against me.

Seriously, though, One in Five persons in the USA are mentally imbalanced.

I suggest you close your eyes and think about your four closest friends.

If they all seem to be normal, then IT's YOU.

John, when they throw the net, duck and run!

This is the only time Flynn says not to crawl!

About 10 yrs ago one of the Fire Dept magazines had an article about how unfair and inconsistent the psych tests were, it was interesting because they actually said that across the USA many depts did away with it because of the constant problems. A few yrs ago my job got rid of the Psych test to go along with the other qualifications that were already discarded. Remember-if you have an oral interview with a shrink-they are usually QUACKS themselves! lolblink.gif

There were 7 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows on the front and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one was and how it could be used as evidence against me.

"It was a typical case of American Blind Justice and the judge wasn't going to look at the 27 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back to be used as evidence against us"

I know there were 27 8x10 photos. It was a typo.

Also; I put that envelope under that pile of garbage.