Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newsbuff

Mohegan EMS now paid?

41 posts in this topic

OK here it is as told to me from a member. During the month of May over 80% of calls were given away. That is to say 80% of their revenue was given away.........Last I heard the VAC and the paid Firefighters responded to 2000 calls a year. So 2000 X $400.00 = $800,000.00. and the paid firefighters and the Paramedics are paid by the tax payers.

"as told to me" and "Last I heard" is very strong proof that your facts are all correct. So did they do 2,000 calls but 80% or 8,000 calls were given away? I don't think so or did the recieve 2,000 calls (which sounds about right for the population) and they gave away 80% or 1,600 calls.

Lets assume the 1st. they did 2,000 calls and they billed $400 per call (average) the collection rate ranges from 50% - 75% so your $800,000 is closer to $400,000 - $600,000.

If we assume the 2nd, then they did 400 calls and collected $200 - $300 per call or a total of $80,000 - $120,000.

So whats the correct amount:

a. $800,000

b. $600,000

c. $400,000

d. $120,000

e. $ 80,000

f. None of the above. The information is such a wild a** guess that there is no way to calculate it.

So where is $800,000.00 going? Surly not into equipment or supplies or the price of manpower. (Manpower is free, right?)While they supply transport, Oxygen, Band aids, training(this is questionable)and vehicles. This could not cost more then $100,000.00

New ambulance cost more than $100,000. And you left out insurance (liability, vehicle & workers comp) which are substantial.

Why is the Fire District not being reimbursed for sending their paid firefighters to the scene that they are not responsible for?

Because it is illegal.

if you would like to charge a person not living in your town that’s maybe something I can get on board with. I pay enough taxes in the town of Cortlandt now. But to break away from the Mohegan Fire district just so you can bill people is a crime, more of the hidden cost of volunteers.

Because it is illegal. And if they had not broken away and started hiring EMS staff (which was clearly needed) then they would be increasing the tax levy on you.

INIT915 and Oswegowind like this

"as told to me" and "Last I heard" is very strong proof that your facts are all correct. So did they do 2,000 calls but 80% or 8,000 calls were given away? I don't think so or did the recieve 2,000 calls (which sounds about right for the population) and they gave away 80% or 1,600 calls.

Lets assume the 1st. they did 2,000 calls and they billed $400 per call (average) the collection rate ranges from 50% - 75% so your $800,000 is closer to $400,000 - $600,000.

If we assume the 2nd, then they did 400 calls and collected $200 - $300 per call or a total of $80,000 - $120,000.

So whats the correct amount:

a. $800,000

b. $600,000

c. $400,000

d. $120,000

e. $ 80,000

f. None of the above. The information is such a wild a** guess that there is no way to calculate it.

New ambulance cost more than $100,000. And you left out insurance (liability, vehicle & workers comp) which are substantial.

Because it is illegal.

Because it is illegal. And if they had not broken away and started hiring EMS staff (which was clearly needed) then they would be increasing the tax levy on you.

As usual, Capt. Nechis with a well articulated, fact-based response. Thank you Capt.

As for where the money goes, one of their members mentioned to me a few years back, that Yorktown gets reimbursed some amount for the Empress Medic from the billing. I don't have anything to prove it, but it would make sense.

I don't think Empress as a flycar can bill if a Mohegan or Yorktown ambulance does the transport and bills for their service. I think that's why flycar contracts are paid to the company providing them.

I find it amazing that Mohegan has been able to keep up with the volume of calls they have with volunteers, and glad this will ease the burden. I just think that it's so piecemealed, with Yorktown VAC, Empress Medics, Mohegan VAC, Lake Mohegan FD, Peekskill FD, Cortlandt Medics, Yorktown PD, Westchester County PD, State PD all in the mix of providing EMS in that area. I'm sure consolidation of efforts and other costs would free up some more money for ambulance staffing.

I heard Yorktown was considering this paid EMT coverage a long time ago, have they implemented it? What other VAC's supplement with paid staff?

OK here it is as told to me from a member. During the month of May over 80% of calls were given away. That is to say 80% of their revenue was given away.

The volunteers broke away from the fire district, with the permission of the commissioners, for the express reason that they charge for response. Last I heard the VAC and the paid Firefighters responded to 2000 calls a year. So 2000 X $400.00 = $800,000.00. and the paid firefighters and the Paramedics are paid by the tax payers.

So where is $800,000.00 going? Surly not into equipment or supplies or the price of manpower. (Manpower is free, right?)

While they supply transport, Oxygen, Band aids, training(this is questionable)and vehicles. This could not cost more then $100,000.00

AHH maybe it is cut up at the fire house. Since the Volunteer Fire association does not charge for calls, they charge the VAC rent. This way money can be laundered and used as they please. So they charge the VAC $10,000.00 a month (actual figure unknown) and they walk away with $120,000.00 a year for floor space rental.

The left over is $580,000.00. So where is all the money? Why is the Fire District not being reimbursed for sending their paid firefighters to the scene that they are not responsible for? Are the VACs reimbursing the Towns to help defray the cost of the Paramedics, or are they just stuffing their coffers. The taxpayers are already paying for these services, if you would like to charge a person not living in your town that’s maybe something I can get on board with. I pay enough taxes in the town of Cortlandt now. But to break away from the Mohegan Fire district just so you can bill people is a crime, more of the hidden cost of volunteers.

So does someone out there know where all the money is?

Wow, very jaded and cynical of you and I'm usually the cynical one. You're saying that 80% of the calls in May weren't covered? That's alot and would certainly explain why the paid crew was needed.

Let's do some more hypothetical math (bnechis gives one set of numbers, this will probably be different). Your numbers imply 100% collection which is simply not realistic. Of the 2000 total calls, let's say 25% go to mutual aid. Of the 1500 calls remaining, let's say that 20% result in no transport (unfounded, no patient, RMA, etc.). Now there are 1200 calls with a patient transported. They bill $400 per call x 1200 or $480,000. If they collect 75% (a pretty high percentage and quite unrealistic) the net is $360,000.

Operating expenses for Mohegan include fuel, insurance, rent on their building (apparently), equipment, supplies, etc. This must add up to a sizeable chunk of change. Manpower isn't free even if people don't draw a salary. There's insurance, uniforms, personal equipment, workers compensation, etc.

Why is the Fire District not being reimbursed for sending their paid firefighters to the scene that they are not responsible for? Are the VACs reimbursing the Towns to help defray the cost of the Paramedics, or are they just stuffing their coffers. The taxpayers are already paying for these services, if you would like to charge a person not living in your town that’s maybe something I can get on board with. I pay enough taxes in the town of Cortlandt now. But to break away from the Mohegan Fire district just so you can bill people is a crime, more of the hidden cost of volunteers.

The fire district is already receiving tax funds to respond to EMS calls. Many will argue with you that EMS calls are a responsibility of the FD also.

Just an FYI, Mohegan was assigned just shy of 2700 jobs last year.

I heard Yorktown was considering this paid EMT coverage a long time ago, have they implemented it? What other VAC's supplement with paid staff?

From What I personally know:

Scarsdale Vac- Per-diem EMT

Mamaroneck Ambulance District- 1 BLS Coornator 7am-3pm Drives when volunteers can't get out.

Valhalla Vac- Per-diem EMT provided by Transcare When needed

Bedford EMS,or Briar cliff EMS - Per-diem EMT provided by Transcare when needed (I know it a village that starts with a B..lol If I am wrong or offend anyone from these agencies. I am sorry.)

Somers FD EMS- 2 EMT 24/7 provided by WEMS

Hawthorne FD/EMS- 1 EMT 12/5 provided by Empress

Peekskill EMS- 1 EMT 12/7 Provided by Empress

And now

Mohegan FD/EMS: 2 EMT 12/7 provided by Empress...

If anyone has more info or would like to correct it please do so...

From What I personally know:

Bedford EMS,or Briar cliff EMS - Per-diem EMT provided by Transcare when needed (I know it a village that starts with a B..lol If I am wrong or offend anyone from these agencies. I am sorry.)

If anyone has more info or would like to correct it please do so...

Its Briarcliff

Add Eastchester, Harrison, Port Chester and I think Tarrytown & Ossining

Edited by Bnechis

Its Briarcliff

Add Eastchester, Harrison, Port Chester and I think Tarrytown & Ossining

Thank you sir, I think thou, Harrison is full career now, and PCRRB*EMS is full career as well.

Does Tarrytown hire internally?

OK here it is as told to me from a member. During the month of May over 80% of calls were given away. That is to say 80% of their revenue was given away.

The volunteers broke away from the fire district, with the permission of the commissioners, for the express reason that they charge for response. Last I heard the VAC and the paid Firefighters responded to 2000 calls a year. So 2000 X $400.00 = $800,000.00. and the paid firefighters and the Paramedics are paid by the tax payers.

So where is $800,000.00 going? Surly not into equipment or supplies or the price of manpower. (Manpower is free, right?)

While they supply transport, Oxygen, Band aids, training(this is questionable)and vehicles. This could not cost more then $100,000.00

AHH maybe it is cut up at the fire house. Since the Volunteer Fire association does not charge for calls, they charge the VAC rent. This way money can be laundered and used as they please. So they charge the VAC $10,000.00 a month (actual figure unknown) and they walk away with $120,000.00 a year for floor space rental.

The left over is $580,000.00. So where is all the money? Why is the Fire District not being reimbursed for sending their paid firefighters to the scene that they are not responsible for? Are the VACs reimbursing the Towns to help defray the cost of the Paramedics, or are they just stuffing their coffers. The taxpayers are already paying for these services, if you would like to charge a person not living in your town that’s maybe something I can get on board with. I pay enough taxes in the town of Cortlandt now. But to break away from the Mohegan Fire district just so you can bill people is a crime, more of the hidden cost of volunteers.

So does someone out there know where all the money is?

The 80% figure is way way off. The member that gave you that info should check the monthly reports. Your revenue figures are way off also!

helicopper likes this

I don't think Empress as a flycar can bill if a Mohegan or Yorktown ambulance does the transport and bills for their service. I think that's why flycar contracts are paid to the company providing them.

I find it amazing that Mohegan has been able to keep up with the volume of calls they have with volunteers, and glad this will ease the burden. I just think that it's so piecemealed, with Yorktown VAC, Empress Medics, Mohegan VAC, Lake Mohegan FD, Peekskill FD, Cortlandt Medics, Yorktown PD, Westchester County PD, State PD all in the mix of providing EMS in that area. I'm sure consolidation of efforts and other costs would free up some more money for ambulance staffing.

They cannot bill however you can get and there are agreements in place for a certain amount of money billed that is received above the BLS flat rate to go to the ALS agencies for operating costs.

I can't speak of Yorktown, but county and state PD do not "provide" EMS in the area. They are sent and they are a huge help when needed and get right in the mix for cardiac arrests and to give a helping hand. Its no more fragmented then most other areas. Doesn't always make sense but this is Westchester. What super doesn't make sense is the underutilization of the FD BLSFR program and providers.

Somers FD EMS- 2 EMT 24/7 provided by WEMS

Not until August.