Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

Response To Bombings

12 posts in this topic

While doing some research I found an interesting article to share. It sums up good considerations to keep in mind when responding to possible bombings or terrorist attacks. Just another tactical consideration to keep fresh in your mind.

First Response and the Threat of Secondary Devices

It's what people like us do - without concern for our personal safety, we race to the scene to assist survivors. We are hard wired to respond this way, and our response is instinctive. The instinct to run towards the fight, not away from it, is what makes you excel as a first responder - however it could also take your life.

Link to full article: http://jennihesterman.blogspot.com/2010/04/first-response-and-threat-of-secondary.html

While doing some research I found an interesting article to share. It sums up good considerations to keep in mind when responding to possible bombings or terrorist attacks. Just another tactical consideration to keep fresh in your mind.

Link to full article: http://jennihesterman.blogspot.com/2010/04/first-response-and-threat-of-secondary.html

Here, If there is any suspicious explosion State and City EOD is called in before any movement happens on scene, This happens rarely but it is part of our plan, If either State Police EOD or City Police EOD is out of service we have to wait a good half hour for the Sheriffs Office to get there S**t together, but like I said, its just a protocol on any suspicious situation because of what happens in the middle east with secondary devices, My two cents.

Here, If there is any suspicious explosion State and City EOD is called in before any movement happens on scene, This happens rarely but it is part of our plan,

The problem is defining "suspicious".

At the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City it was assumed it was a gas explosion until a bomb tech determined the crater was from a vehicle bomb.

The problem is defining "suspicious".

At the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City it was assumed it was a gas explosion until a bomb tech determined the crater was from a vehicle bomb.

Exactly but I guess that's what keeps us on our toes, I think its up to the first arriving apparatus to make that judgement

I've been teaching anti-terrorsm courses since before terrorism becsme popular. I always preached "Watch out for the secondary device" and also "Only the bad guy knows where the secondary device is." There are no or very few clues as to where it might be. In most cases, secondary devices were only discovered AFTER they detonated.

There is no course out there that can tell you where to look for the secondary device. If you take a course that even attempts to tell you where to look, forget it. By the time you get the info, the bad guys have already taken that course and changed the game plan.

The only way to prevent terrorism is to kill the terrorist before he srikes.

I've been teaching anti-terrorsm courses since before terrorism becsme popular.

It was popular when we used it to chase the british out...... :lol:

There is no course out there that can tell you where to look for the secondary device. If you take a course that even attempts to tell you where to look, forget it. By the time you get the info, the bad guys have already taken that course and changed the game plan.

This reminds me when I was a new Lt. and my A/C told me that we'd be responding to school bomb threats and assisting the PD look for the "bomb". I shook my head and asked what type of training we'd be given and he shrugged. I told him that if my crew was ordered to search a building without training I'd be the first to enter and would immediately yell "bomb" while pointing to a fire extinguisher or other object that in all likelihood could contain a bomb. Next shift the policy was amended standby up the street for the "boom". Then there's a few schools who took to having their teachers clear the school!

I've been teaching anti-terrorsm courses since before terrorism becsme popular. I always preached "Watch out for the secondary device" and also "Only the bad guy knows where the secondary device is." There are no or very few clues as to where it might be. In most cases, secondary devices were only discovered AFTER they detonated.

The only way to prevent terrorism is to kill the terrorist before he srikes.

That is how Eric Rudolph injured and killed in both the Atlanta Olympic Bombing and the 1998 Birmingham Abortion Clinic Bombing...

This reminds me when I was a new Lt. and my A/C told me that we'd be responding to school bomb threats and assisting the PD look for the "bomb". I shook my head and asked what type of training we'd be given and he shrugged. I told him that if my crew was ordered to search a building without training I'd be the first to enter and would immediately yell "bomb" while pointing to a fire extinguisher or other object that in all likelihood could contain a bomb. Next shift the policy was amended standby up the street for the "boom". Then there's a few schools who took to having their teachers clear the school!

When I was in USAF EOD that's what we taught the Security Police for searches. Who else knows their work place better than the people who work there? I know of a few incidents when I was in where someone's personal belongings were turned into itty bitty little pieces :blink:

I don't like to talk politics, but we may be in need of a new American Revoultion.

We're back! And getting citzenship rolleyes.gif

We're back! And getting citzenship rolleyes.gif

I said chase the British...not the scotish :P

OK Barry,, you've been in HQ too long. It's 2010 now so

The Britixh are our buddies

Scottish ...buddies

Canadians...buddies

Australians...buddies

Muslims...not buddies