Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Tornado in Bridgeport 6-24-10

19 posts in this topic

What i heared on Fox News was that there was a possible tornado in Fairfield County, Conn. Around the Bridgeport and Fairfield area. Damage was reported.

What i heared on Fox News was that there was a possible tornado in Fairfield County, Conn. Around the Bridgeport and Fairfield area. Damage was reported.

Channel 3 news is confirming a tornado touched down in Bridgeport. Bridgeport is under a state of emergency and 95 is a mess all the way down here in Norwalk.

We just got rain...lucky I guess.

There are reports of a building collapes, another building with the walls buckling on the 4th floor, Westport Engine 2 & Rescue 3 are in BFD HQ.

Go to Radio reference.com or scanct for a live feed.

153.7700 for those with scanners that can pick up BFD.

Another reported building collapse at E. Main and Stuben Streets. E-3, E-15, Training 7 and a unit from Fairfield FD.

Also sounds like there having some major communications problems.

The dispatcher just stated "these things are happening all over the place."

Listening to this right now, Bridgeport is holding all personnel, those on and those coming in. Also instituting a watch desk assignment for all companies.

I was listening to Fairfield fire.

Dispatch stated "Bridgeport will take whatever mutual aid you can provide"

Car 3 sent:

E-1

L-1

R-1

C-3

E-2 to Fairfield HQ to pick up collapse trailer and remain in 1/4's.

The storm was pretty quick where I am. It only lasted about 10 minutes, but the winds were pretty high with teaming rain. I heard that I-95 was a mess and Rt. 25(Connector) in Bridgeport had quite a few trees down over on-ramps and lanes. One lane of traffic was open Southbound with heavy traffic on both I-95 and the Connector. State Police and BPD were everywhere. I haven't heard much of anything going on North of Bridgeport.

Channel 3 news is confirming a tornado touched down in Bridgeport. Bridgeport is under a state of emergency and 95 is a mess all the way down here in Norwalk.

We just got rain...lucky I guess.

The media can "confirm" whatever it wants but even if Dorothy and Toto kill a witch with their house it ain't a tornado until the NWS says its a tornado... :P

The media can "confirm" whatever it wants but even if Dorothy and Toto kill a witch with their house it ain't a tornado until the NWS says its a tornado... :P

Toto...I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!

The storm was pretty quick where I am. It only lasted about 10 minutes, but the winds were pretty high with teaming rain. I heard that I-95 was a mess and Rt. 25(Connector) in Bridgeport had quite a few trees down over on-ramps and lanes. One lane of traffic was open Southbound with heavy traffic on both I-95 and the Connector. State Police and BPD were everywhere. I haven't heard much of anything going on North of Bridgeport.

30+ calls in Trumbull, lots of damage, Long Hill and Nichols also went into Bridgeport for Mutual aid

Here is a photo I took of the Supercell Thunderstorm over Bridgeport, CT as viewed from Rockland County, NY while they were getting all the storm related calls.

post-1841-066542400 1277427771.jpg

Edited by RocklandFires
batt2 likes this

Curfew in effect in City of Bridgeport. Started at 5:30 PM. Bridgeport has declared a State of Emergency. No lights or power in many parts of the city. Relatives living in Bridgeports East End have reported Connecticut State Police on every street corner. I-95 is a total mess. A tractor Trailer roll over on I-95 during the height of the storm. Exit 28 closed. As many as 5 building collapses. Ct Urban Search and Rescue Team activated and in Bridgeport.

All Bridgeport on duty Day shift firefighters held over. Mutual aid from Shelton, Long Hill, Nichols, Fairfield, Milford, and Westport into Bridgeport. This was the first time I have ever heard Westport go into Bridgeport in my 60 plus years. This was a first. Apparently Stratford not able to go into Bridgeport as they were dealing with their own numerous incidents.

Several other cities and towns along Connecticuts Fairfield, and New Haven County Shoreline affected.

Tonight (Thursday 6/24) Bridgeport is trying to clean up what took only eight minutes to destroy.

Here is a photo I took of the Supercell Thunderstorm over Bridgeport, CT as viewed from Rockland County, NY while they were getting all the storm related calls.

Great photo.

When I was still flying DC-8's we took a load of cargo into Oklahoma City the day after the '99 F-5. I will never forget seeing the damage from the air (even at night) on approach to the airport. We were the last aircraft out of Kansas City the night before when the storms came through there, and that was a hell of a ride. Also, a little trivia, the '79 Windsor Locks tornado (an F-4) remained the costliest tornado in US history until the '99 OKC F-5. It is still in the top 10 all time. It is utterly amazing how much damage these storms can do in only a minute or two. It will be interesting to see if, A- NWS Upton confirms a tornado, and B- what it rates on the new enhanced fujita (EF) scale.

Another trivia note- the old show on TLC- "Paramedics" was filming in OKC the day of the '99 F-5. 60 minutes of riveting TV, filming on scene as it happened. Hard to find but worth watching. Might be on YouTube.

It's not funny that a tornado tore through town and buildings got destroyed, but this is kind of funny:

Lohud.com

I saw the 2 USAR tractor-trailers on I-91 yesterday with lights and air horn blasting through traffic. I have definitely not seen anything like that before. Amazingly adn thankfully they are reporting no major injuries or fatalities from the storm.

A very quick video shot by a woman in her apartment in Bridgeport. Wish she was able to record longer. Unreal how quick this storm intensified.

That is a good video

Wow, a second full mobilization of USAR this year? They've been keeping busy.