Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M' Ave

FDNY Looks to hire 300

10 posts in this topic

With the money to maintain companies in place, for the time being, the job is looking to curb the steadily increasing O/T flow.

NY1 Video News

The only questions arise surrounding the approval of a federal judge, with regard to exam 6019. Hopefully merit prevails......... :blink:

With the money to maintain companies in place, for the time being, the job is looking to curb the steadily increasing O/T flow.

NY1 Video News

The only questions arise surrounding the approval of a federal judge, with regard to exam 6019. Hopefully merit prevails......... :blink:

I can understand trying to cut back the OT. But if they can hire 300 guys (starting salary around $35k?), then theres obviously money somewhere. I just love when they cry poverty, but miraculously find money.

M'Ave...best of luck to you and your brothers. I can only hope that they dont continue to hire for the wrong reasons and continue to "dummy-up" the test. There is soo much rich history in the FDNY and its a shame to see the job going where it has been. I have friends on the job who tell me about some of the BS that they have to deal with in regards to who they have to work with.

Hey, i F'ed up when i took the exam back in 02.' I got a 96 on the written, but didnt work out or prep nearly enough for the agility and i didnt pass it. Ive kicked myself in the a$$ many a time because of that. So, to see guys being all but handed the job on a silver platter makes me sick and makes me worry for you guys that actually love the job and do it for all the right reasons.

I can understand trying to cut back the OT. But if they can hire 300 guys (starting salary around $35k?), then theres obviously money somewhere. I just love when they cry poverty, but miraculously find money.

Well, they have to fill the same # of spots regardless of whether they hire or not. I don't know how the math works out, but at some point it becomes more cost effective to hire someone, rather than pay a guy time and 1/2. Obviously you have to factor in the pension and benefit costs associated with a new hire, but a 1st grade fireman (top pay) makes more in one 24 of O/T than a new proby makes in 2 weeks. Most of that has to do with the dismal starting pay and the longer stretch to top pay, but.....

...we'll see.

As for that crack-pot judge and his politically motivated leftist decision, we'll see. The Bloomberg administration will appeal, just as soon as the remedy phase is complete.

Why can't the municipalities in the greater NY area get their act together?

Now we had NINE I think brothers from WPFD layed off. Talk is of possibly more coming out of Westchester. These are and would be the junior guys who have the most recent proby school.

Now out of 300 spots, couldn't the municipalities come up with a creative offer to the City of NY whereby these guys could somehow get a shot at a job? I mean we got fully trained brothers here. It's almost like mutual-aid is it not?

In another world, and if not for special school districts and the power they yeild with parental support, Westchester could be another Borough of the City of N.Y. If not for the way they drew up the original county lines and decided where to put those arbitrarly lines; New Rochelle is attached to the Bronx. Mt. Vernon is attached to the Bronx, Yonkers....

Now the big job is hiring three hundred while the smaller jobs have lost and could possibly lose more members. Right next door. This is where those arbitray lines, drawn over a hundred years ago, still have an effect. And it isn't good.

BFD1054 likes this

I just have to add to those who think that's way too radical; think about how much talent comes to work in Westchester County coming OUT of NYC? Now you have talent that could come down in reverse TO the city instead of always away from it. I know it's probably wishful thinking, but why the hell not? We got unemployed recently trained union firefighters over here. A system that large could absorb that talent, EASILY.

Vets first.

Why not unemployed firefighters next?

I'm just sayin'.....

A BIG PS: I DO NOT SPEAK FOR ANY OF THE LAYED OFF BROTHERS, only in support of them. Edit: and without their authority to say anything, only my opinion. Also, content removed for irrelavence. lol

Edited by efdcapt115
antiquefirelt likes this

SO they are hiring off of list 6019? How far down the list are they?

EFD, while I understand your consternation at folks being laid off in Westchester, I don't know how feasible your idea is. Simply put, someone will come along and complain that they aren't home grown NYC residents, or some other load of garbage like that. It's already been spewed forth by people. As far as the job being handed to a person on a silver platter, I dunno if that's necessarily true. You can dumb down that written test all you want, but if they can't hack the CPAT, which is far easier than the old physical, those people have no business being on the job. Regardless of race or ethnicity.

I just got off the phone with a very reliable source in southern Westchester Law Enforcement. Some might question the reason for putting this post in this particular thread. Reason being; I had raised the hypothesis that maybe FDNY while hiring 300, and Westchester FD's experiencing layoffs of around 50, maybe they could work something out. Jimmy responded, and I had to agree after reading his post that it seems so infeasible.

Well, Law Enforcement Agencies in Westchester County HAVE FOUND JOBS FOR, AND HIRED LAYED OFF POLICE OFFICERS FROM WHITE PLAINS. The word I got is that MOST OF THEM have been hired by other police departments.

Now, while everybody making decisions for the technochratic monstrosity that is the fire service in the greater NY area moves it in the wrong direction;

Example #1 The Stamford Fire & Rescue situation: the long knife of a mayor and political decision making regarding public safety, with job-jeapordizing elements.

Example #2 The layoffs with no apparent back-up plan, inter-agency cooperation, communication, nothing for the members who have been layed off? Does anybody have any information if anything has been done by the other surrounding fire departments with regard to the layed off firefighters from either White Plains or Yonkers?

The cops apparently have done it regarding White Plains; they've taken care of their own. Hired by other Police Departments around the county. Good for them, and God Bless.

SO they are hiring off of list 6019? How far down the list are they?

Last list # in the first class off of 6019 was around 865. Don't forget that of the 300 that are talking about hiring lots will be EMS promotions and there were tons of guys that deferred the first class... I would bet they wont get into the 1200's hiring 300...

Also, I feel badly for any brother who gets laid off no matter where they work...But handing someone a job with the most sought-after department on the face of the globe will never happen regardless of their circumstances. The law suits generated by such a move would make the Vulcan suits look like child's play.

Last list # in the first class off of 6019 was around 865. Don't forget that of the 300 that are talking about hiring lots will be EMS promotions and there were tons of guys that deferred the first class... I would bet they wont get into the 1200's hiring 300...

The reached list #865, however only about 230 were hired to reach that number. Many differed or were on active military duty. If they indeed hire without interference from the courts, they'll be a bunch of guys with numbers below 865 who are going to take the job. I don't believe that there are many, if any EMT's/Paramedics left on the promotional exam. If they indeed hire 300 this summer and follow it up with a talked about 300 in January, I believe they would reach into the mid 1,000's on this exam.

As for hiring the brothers who are laid off; It would be a great thing to be able to do this, as their fortunes are poor and the acts of the politicians deplorable, however, it is unfeasible that the city could take them on. It is a completely different civil service system and there are a lot of guys who were sent letters to report for duty at the fire academy and then their appointments rescinded. Those guys are just as deserving of the job they've worked for and waited years to get. Having graduated the Westchester Academy doesn't save the city any money either, as they would most certainly need to go through the FDNY academy and it's specific training regimen. With cities, it's all about the money.

My best wished to those laid off and a speedy rehiring! My best wished to those who's careers have been put on hold due to the economy as well. I know the feeling of waiting and it's miserable.