Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeinet

LODD - Shelton, CT PD Sergeant Orville Smith

8 posts in this topic

SHELTON ---- The Shelton Police Department has announced that Sergeant Orville Smith, who was struck by a pickup truck Saturday night while on duty, has died.

Smith was a a 39-year-veteran of the Shelton Police Department.

Police say that Smith and his police cruiser were struck by a Nissan Frontier pickup truck on Route 110 at the intersection of Indian Well Road in Shelton while directing traffic after a private fireworks event. Smith was transported to Bridgeport Hospital.

The Shelton Police Department Traffic Division and the Trumbull Police Department Accident Reconstruction Team are investigating the accident. The driver of the pickup, 63 year old Bruce Knapik of 96 East Eaton St., Bridgeport, was arrested and charged with driving under the influence. Knapik was not injured

Smith was a Marine Corps veteran who served in the Vietnam War. He was also a a volunteer firefighter with the Shelton Fire Department White Hills Company Number 5.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Shelton-police-officer-struck-by-pickup-567877.php

RIP

Rest in Peace Sergeant Smith. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

I regret to inform you, the police department of Shelton CT has suffered a loss. Sgt Orville Smith, a 39 year veteran of the Shelton Police Department Passed away this morning due to a heart attack as a result of injuries sustained while on duty. Sgt. Smith was struck by a drunk driver while on duty on a side job conducting traffic for the holiday weekend.

Sgt Smith was also a former volunteer firefighter and past captain of Shelton FD White Hills Co. #5.

as taken from Shelton FD's Co. #1...

The Officers and Members of Echo Hose Hook & Ladder Co. #1 offer their sincere condolences to Sgt. Orville Smith's family and to Shelton Police Department. Sgt. Smith passed away at 0445 hrs this morning due to a massive heart attack. He was struck by a drunk driver over the July 4th weekend while on duty at a side job directing traffic at Indian Wells & Rt 110. Sgt. Smith was also a Past Captain of the While Hills Fire Company #5 and served as a volunteer firefighter in town for many years. He dedicated 39 years as a police officer to the City of Shelton and he will be missed. RIP Sgt. Orville Smith.
Echo Hose FD

Shelton PD Sgt Orville Smith

Those of you who knew "smitty" know of his dedication to the city of Shelton. I cannot even express in words the kind of man he was. This comes as a great shock to the entire city of Shelton. My sincere condolences to Sgt Smith's family and the Shelton Police Department.

about 7 years ago When I was a brand spanking new EMT one day, I was washing my truck at EMS HQ. Our only on duty crew went out on a run when a second call in town came in. 2nd call in town was for a drowning victim at Indian Wells State park. At the time I was too young to take an ambulance, but I jumped in my truck and took off advising dispatch I was en route. I arrived at the state park and was immediately met by frantic family members. I gathered as much info as I could about the situation/location of lost swimmer and relayed it to dispatch so they could tell the Derby dive team who was already in the water. I then went to waters edge and first thing I saw was Sgt Smith in the water, thrashing his arms around looking for the victim. Needless to say, he was off duty that day, heard the call and offered his hand. When all was said and done, the swimmer had expired despite our efforts, Sgt Smith shared comforting words with me. Strange that this was the exact place he received mortal injuries.

Just a couple weeks ago Sgt Smith stopped at our fire house to install a custom sticker he personally made for our fire truck. I am glad I was able to assist him.

RIP "Smitty"

R.I.P...... May the Lord comfort the friends and family of the fallen officer.

My God, that man literally gave his life to the job. He could have retired long ago and yet continued to 'Do Us Proud'. Godspeed.

RIP

Services have been announced as follows.

Monday 7/12/10 Wake to be held at Shelton High School from 4-8pm.

Tuesday 7/13/10 Funeral services to be held at Shelton High School at 11am. A repast will follow at SHS after the services.

Rest in Peace Sergeant. Thank you for your service.