Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Warning Lights on Con Ed Trucks

24 posts in this topic

I noticed in one of the pics that a Con Ed truck had red and blue lights to the rear. I also noticed this on a truck today. Whats up?

I noticed in one of the pics that a Con Ed truck had red and blue lights to the rear. I also noticed this on a truck today. Whats up?

What type of truck? A supervisor vehicle or work van? I'm sure it was one of the emergency supervisors.

Edited by E106MKFD

What type of truck? A supervisor vehicle or work van? I'm sure it was one of the emergency supervisors.

That Con Ed truck is the emergency supervisor. It only has red and blue light to the back, amber only in the front. I am not sure what it carries but I've only seen that truck around when there are major power problems related to black outs, winter storms, gas leaks, strong storms and fires. Anbody have any other info on it?

I believe it responds with the emergency trouble shooters and the number nine crews to emergencies. These crews handle electric emergencies. I'm sure the lights are for higher visibility at work sites. Like firedude said these guys handle major emergencies and power problems. Kind of like the ESU or SOC of Con Ed.

I used to work alongside these guys. They are from the Emergency Response Group working out of the gas and electric Emergency Control Centers. There are individual gas and electric department responders, but they cross-cover for each other.

Their purpose is to provide support for the local gas or electric personnel and can act as the utility company white hat assisting the on-scene incident commander while local operations forces work on mitigating the emergency.

Can't they be given red lights & sirens to expedite their response to legitimate emergencies? Waiting 20, 30 or more minutes sometimes is unacceptable. Perhaps something can be done legally to allow for it?

Can't they be given red lights & sirens to expedite their response to legitimate emergencies? Waiting 20, 30 or more minutes sometimes is unacceptable. Perhaps something can be done legally to allow for it?

That would require action on the part of the legislature to designate them authorized emergency vehicles.

Given the level of dysfunction in Albany and lack of a budget 4 months after it was due, I wouldn't hold my breath.

That would require action on the part of the legislature to designate them authorized emergency vehicles.

Given the level of dysfunction in Albany and lack of a budget 4 months after it was due, I wouldn't hold my breath.

going back 4-5 years ago i was on 9 going to the fire traning center in weastcheaster and a con=ed truck passed us with red lights on it he was moveing and he had blue red and yellow in the back and it was a pick up truck not sure if its the same one everyone is talking about i cant see the pic but we couldent beleave it when we saw it

I've always supported utility and public works emergency units having more than just amber lights. Many times, they're just as integral to a safe resolution as we are.

Companies like ConEd and NYSEG are VERY active in emergency preparedness and response.

Edited by FFEMTPD72

not that I would have a problem with them running lights other than amber, but wasn't amber found to be the most effective color as far as getting motorists away from the scene??? I cant remember the name of the study, or find it right now, but I know it exists. that was one of the reasons why I run amber rear facing as well as red.

not that I would have a problem with them running lights other than amber, but wasn't amber found to be the most effective color as far as getting motorists away from the scene??? I cant remember the name of the study, or find it right now, but I know it exists. that was one of the reasons why I run amber rear facing as well as red.

Probably, but it rarely achieves anything but warning. I don't know many individuals who will yield to amber lights.

I don't know many individuals who yield to blue and red lights either.

I believe that one of the studies to which you refer was completed right here in NY by and for the State Police. At that time they found that an amber rear facing light reduced the instances of rear end collisions with SP patrol cars. It had nothing to do with front facing lights so the issue of yielding to amber isn't an issue at all.

If you're running with any kind of warning lights / devices on a privately owned vehicle I hope all you i's are dotted and T's crossed. If you get into an accident (as was just the case in a nearby department) you'll be finding out the hard way what the law is and insurance covers. Be smart, be safe, drive carefully!

If you're running with any kind of warning lights / devices on a privately owned vehicle I hope all you i's are dotted and T's crossed. If you get into an accident (as was just the case in a nearby department) you'll be finding out the hard way what the law is and insurance covers. Be smart, be safe, drive carefully!

Chris, cant the same be said for municipal agencies that ignor the law and put blues upfront (PD) or in the rear (FD & EMS)?

Jack, that was the picture that i was refering to. I also saw an Escape this week on 22 in Eastchester that had red/blue to the rear.

While on this topic, why do MTA NYC Transit vehicles have red lights? Some have them in the front and back.

Edited by 23piraf

Jack, that was the picture that i was refering to. I also saw an Escape this week on 22 in Eastchester that had red/blue to the rear.

While on this topic, why do MTA NYC Transit vehicles have red lights? Some have them in the front and back.

Like this?... This has red to the rear. (not my photos)

Click Here

This has red to the front but says "Emergency Response"...

Click Here

The ones that have red lights in the front are Emergency Response Cars. Although, all the time I have been in NYC, I have never seen these responding "code 3".

I've always supported utility and public works emergency units having more than just amber lights. Many times, they're just as integral to a safe resolution as we are.

Companies like ConEd and NYSEG are VERY active in emergency preparedness and response.

I would support this as well, since the utilities are so important in emergency response. As Chris said, we shouldn't hold our breaths waiting for the state to change the statues. I would say superviors only should have red lights and sirens.

These are the only ConEd vehicles that display other than amber warning lights. Whether it's "legal" or not, is another issue. Personally, I don't think any LEO would have a problem with those lights these vehicles display, since they are only used during incidents.

ConEd commercial vehicles CAN and do go on the County's passenger-car-only parkways but only for a bonefide emergency response, such as a confirmed gas line rupture, or other similar major incidents. We would make a courtesy call to the County PD dispatcher advising them of the emergency use and the destination.

Otherwise the responders are usually stuck in the same road traffic as everyone else trying to go somewhere.

Chris, cant the same be said for municipal agencies that ignor the law and put blues upfront (PD) or in the rear (FD & EMS)?

Theoretically, yes. Realistically, not so much. The two concerns that Chris192 raised are the enforcement of the law and the insurance liabilities. First, no one is going to go around writing tickets to police cars with blue lights (or ambulances, etc.). And many of the municipalities that are the most flagrent "violators" of the "blue lights vs. red lights... debate" (think Yonkers) are self-insured, so there's not really a concern about whether an insurance company would cover you in the event of an accident.

IMHO

When I've seen the MTA reds being used, it's often when the vehicle is in a blocking position, i.e. behind mechanics working on a disabled bus or blocking traffic for street-level rail operations in Bay Ridge.

Theoretically, yes. Realistically, not so much. The two concerns that Chris192 raised are the enforcement of the law and the insurance liabilities. First, no one is going to go around writing tickets to police cars with blue lights (or ambulances, etc.).

Agreed, that no one is going to ticket police cars, but it is possible that a LEO might write a FD or EMS agency, particularly if there are personality issues and if they dont work for the same municipality (i.e. local PD vs. VAC/Fire Dist or local FD vs NYSP)

And many of the municipalities that are the most flagrent "violators" of the "blue lights vs. red lights... debate" (think Yonkers) are self-insured, so there's not really a concern about whether an insurance company would cover you in the event of an accident.

"self-insured" may make them think they do not have to address this issue, but most "self-insured" municipalities are not completely "self-insured". Most still have catastraphic general insurance, while they call themselves "self-insured", effectivly they really just have a major deductable ($1-$3 million).

In addition, "self-insured" municipalities get audit by both the NYS comptroller & the NYS dept of insurance. When they experience "losses" they must justify them and often increase the amount of funding that is available for future liability.

So additional liability costs them $$$ just like everyone else.

I believe that one of the studies to which you refer was completed right here in NY by and for the State Police. At that time they found that an amber rear facing light reduced the instances of rear end collisions with SP patrol cars. It had nothing to do with front facing lights so the issue of yielding to amber isn't an issue at all.

Yeah I thought it was a NY study. Thanks.

And I hear ya, I used to use my lights a lot more than I do now. In fact the only times I really use them are for confirmed structure fires, roll-overs, vehicle fires with entrapment. Most of the time I am normal flow. I actually did get in trouble, more or less disciplined, once. I was responding to the firehouse for reported car fire in the garage, running all lights. I came up to a red light, traffic yielded to me, I sloooooowly went through the intersection and got caught! never got in trouble again though. never did anything to warrant it again anyways. lesson learned the first time!

to all - In my post I was saying that I run amber REAR facing just for the fact of safety, not for yielding. I run blue front facing. :D