21 posts in this topic

Somers new engine. Top Mount Sutphen.

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

Great photos - thanks for sharing!

A couple of questions:

1. What are the pump / tank specs?

2. What's going in the front bumper?

3. Is the electric siren only controllable by the Officer?

4. What radio designation will this rig have?

5. Why the change to a top-mount pump? Aren't the other Engines side mount?

Good luck with it, looks nice (even though she's still "naked!" LOL)

I see what appears to be a road/pump shift on the pump panel as well as the dash, great idea but don't you still have to get inn the cab to put the tranny in gear? Also is there a manual override? Nice looking rig, best of luck with it.

Is this new engine going be engine 186 and does this make engine 188 go to reserve status ? Looks like a great rig good luck with it

Nice looking engine! I like the switch to the top-mount pumps.

Awesome! Looks very nicely spec'd!

Somers always switching it up with apparatus manfacturers every couple years, now with a Sutphen Engine.

Thanks for the photos, JM15!

Nice looking rig! good luck with it SFD!!

looks great but is still naked as far as im concerned. Say it outside the firehouse today driving by, looks even better in person. Obviously Somers likes their other sutphen if they got this one. Good luck to you with it.

I see from the inside pics they have the "helmet holders" installed too. Hope you all have good luck with the new rig.

A couple of questions: I'll do my best to answer some of them

1. What are the pump / tank specs? 1500 GPM 1000 gallon tank

2. What's going in the front bumper? I assume a length of "Soft suction" for hitting a hydrant.

3. Is the electric siren only controllable by the Officer? Probabally not since our rigs commonly respond with only a driver

4. What radio designation will this rig have? Unsure right now, its still up in the air where it will be housed also.

5. Why the change to a top-mount pump? Aren't the other Engines side mount? I don't know, there are many positives and negatives to a top mount compared to a side mount. I guess to get a definitive answer you would have to consult the apparatus spec'ing committee.

Edited by JM15

A couple of questions:

1. What are the pump / tank specs?

2. What's going in the front bumper?

3. Is the electric siren only controllable by the Officer?

4. What radio designation will this rig have?

5. Why the change to a top-mount pump? Aren't the other Engines side mount?

HI I can answer the questions you have:

1) It is a waterous dual stage 1500 gpm and 1000 gal poly tank

2) The front bumper will house a trash line and soft suction.

3) The electronic siren is the Federal pa300R it is a remote siren the push button controls are mounted above the driver and passenger. What you see on the passengers side of the instrument panel is the pa microphopne.

4) The designation of the engine will be 183

5) The comittee struggled with the decision of top mount versus side mount pump we felt the safety of being off the road and also better vision at the fire scene were pluses. In the end an e mail was sent to the membership by the chief asking for their input. Out of about 30 responses 25 were for top mount and 5 against the top mount won.

I see what appears to be a road/pump shift on the pump panel as well as the dash, great idea but don't you still have to get inn the cab to put the tranny in gear? Also is there a manual override? Nice looking rig, best of luck with it.

That is the front suction open / close control

Thanks JM15 & Firegui!

I think it's cool that the Chief asked for opinions on the pump, it's always nice to get as many opinions as you can.

Good luck with it!

Thanks Firegui it looks just like a waterous road/pump shift that's why I asked.

Not to be a downer, but I'd throw out one note of caution. It appears the rear right discharge is adapted up to flow an LDH. Given the height of this discharge, the weight of the water in the elevated hose may either partially clamp off with a kink and/or pull out of the coupling. Lastly, it's hard and somewhat dangerous to release a weighted LDH section that large standing on a narrow bumper and above your chest height. No easy solution, but a pitfall for others to consider on future apparatus.

I dunno if it's already been discussed, but, what will be the fate of the former E-183??

That has been gone for along time now a few years I think