Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Peekskill PD 10-13

15 posts in this topic

10 - 13 Detective Charlie Wassil needs assistance

Detective Wassil was one of thousands of responders who answered to the "Call of Duty" on September 11th.2001 just hours after the cowardly terrorist attacks that took so much from so many. Like many of us, he responded immediately, without a second thought of the potential dangers he would encounter at the ground zero site in NYC.

Detective Wassil, only a few short years later became ill as a result of his time spent at Ground Zero during rescue efforts, and was forced to retire from service with the Peekskill Police Department. Charlie, a U.S. Marine and a former NYPD Officer, ended his career without regret of the choices made and actions taken by him to come to the assistance of others.

Detective Wassil is now in need of treatments to combat his illness that NYS Workers Comp has chosen not to pay for. Charlie needs a repetitive series of extremely expensive injections to be given over the next year, every 6 Weeks at a minimum, plus two initial injections over the coming 2 weeks to be paid for out of pocket by Charlie. A treatment needed to return to Charlie quality of life that he has been missing, which we all deserve and should not be denied.

Join us Sunday September 12th, 2010 12:00 noon till-? at 425 Central Avenue in theCity of Peekskill for an all day long outdoor Cookout and fund raiser to honor our friend in his time of need. Draft Beer, Soda, Burgers, Hotdogs, Italian Sausage & Peppers and fixings covered by your donations at the door.

Contact P.O. John Esposito (914) 323-8433 for further information and/or to make donations.

Oley & Chuck's Rainbow Bar and Grill

425 Central Avenue

Peekskill. New York 10566

Donation per attendee - $25.00

Edited by jack10562
Format text

I went through school with Charlie,great guy! stopped by to see him the other day- keep fighting charlie!!! jjc

I will DEF make a donation. What did he become ill with?

I will be there with a bunch of Yonkers Cops ! Let's all make the effort to attend !

For those who can't make it, as per P.O. Esposito, mailing info is:

Detective Charlie Wassil

c/o Peekskill Police Dept.

5 Nelson Ave.

Peekskill, N.Y.

MODERATOR NOTE: off topic posts and subsequent responses have been removed.

Edited by jack10562

charlie has zarchoidosis (sp?) and retired from the job due to it. The disease was identified as having been caused by his time serving at gound zero following the 9-11 attacks. Charlie is currently in a nursing home fighting like I've never see anyone fight before, to get better. He has been receiving medication that is not certified to treat his condition and thus has to absorb the out of pocket expense. Without getting too much into it for his own privacy, Charlie has been confined to a wheelchair for several months and the new med's have vastly improved his condition so he obviously wants to continue the treatments. money is tight and that is what the fund raiser is for. Please come out and support one heck of a great guy, he will surely appreciate it.

Terrible diease to have. Im assuming the treatment they are going to give him is remicade

Charlie would give the shirt off his back to ANY member of Police, Fire, or EMS.

I will be there for sure!

My father has known Charlie and his family for many years. I had the pleasure to do an internship with Peekskill PD while Charlie was still on the job. I also remember Charlie from when i was active at Peekskill EMS. He is one hell of a cop and a great guy as many have said. Its terrible to hear what hes going through.

I plan to make every effort to be there, as do some of my friends. If i can not attend, i will be sure to make a donation.

I hope like hell you guys get a great turnout as im sure you will. Charlie is a very well known guy.

Best wishes.

This Sunday, hopefully we have a good turnout. Lot's of Food, Beverages, and Entertainment. Please come out and help one who was always first in line to help others.