Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EMS for FDNY or Other?

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

I graduated from EMT-b Program this march and applied for FDNY EMS the same month. I also took the civil service exam on DCAS. Now I have a few questions:

- If i applied to FDNY EMS in march of 2010 around how much longer do I wait for the call?

- Does civil service exam help me get a job faster?

- What are the benefits of civil service VS regular EMT?

-Any suggestions where else I could apply if I pretty much have no experience besides the 6 month course that i took?

Thank you.

Its a 6 month min untill they call you just be patient and also try working some where else in the mean time to get some experience

nycemt326 likes this

Hello,

I graduated from EMT-b Program this march and applied for FDNY EMS the same month. I also recently didnt civil service exam on dcas. Now I have a few questions:

- If i applied to FDNY EMS in march of 2010 around how much longer do I wait for the call?

-Any suggestions where else I could apply if I pretty much have no experience besides the 6 month course that i took?

Thank you.

I am in the same boat as you. I received my EMT card in January, and right away called FDNY. You will have to wait about 6-8 months before they call you or I recommend calling them. Try and get some paid experience or volunteer. The civil service exam helps you out because with that you gain the status of a civil servant. From what I am told "its harder for them to get rid of you". There should be another civil service test coming up for EMT, I highly recommend it. Check out private ems companies like Transcare, American Response, and Empress.

Hello,

I graduated from EMT-b Program this march and applied for FDNY EMS the same month. I also recently didnt civil service exam on dcas. Now I have a few questions:

Thank you.

There is NO civil service test for FDNY/EMS. It is an education and experience test,then the physical agility and psych test as well. You file for civil service for FDNY/EMS AFTER you are hired and it opens up usually 1 year after you are hired,all it is is filing,NO TEST!!You are probationary your 1st year then you can file for civil service.It can take up to 3 years to get called from them,don't wait around.Go work somewhere for experience and see if you can find something better than FDNY/EMS. I have been there 23 1/2 years and have been screwed over so much I am retiring. It's your choice,choose wisely.

Look at SeniorCare EMS. Their hiring. They work all over the tri-state doing transports and emergency calls. Yeah they mainly transport older people but great experience, good company great people. PM if you want more info.

There is NO civil service test for FDNY/EMS. It is an education and experience test,then the physical agility and psych test as well. You file for civil service for FDNY/EMS AFTER you are hired and it opens up usually 1 year after you are hired,all it is is filing,NO TEST!!You are probationary your 1st year then you can file for civil service.It can take up to 3 years to get called from them,don't wait around.Go work somewhere for experience and see if you can find something better than FDNY/EMS. I have been there 23 1/2 years and have been screwed over so much I am retiring. It's your choice,choose wisely.

Mike, things have changed. The educational and experience test is the civil service test. No multiple choice exam like PD and Fire, but when DCAS announces the EMT or Paramedic exam that education and experience paperwork is what they're talking about. The provisional list is now a backup to the civil service list and the wait to get hired is under a year last time I checked.

If you live close to NJ you can try some of the bigger operations such as Jersey City Medical Center EMS, University Hospital EMS, Robert Wood Johnson EMS, MONOC, Hackensack Medical Center Paramedics. You would have apply, get hired and then the department would work with NY and NJ to get yout NJ medic cert.

Mike, things have changed. The educational and experience test is the civil service test. No multiple choice exam like PD and Fire, but when DCAS announces the EMT or Paramedic exam that education and experience paperwork is what they're talking about. The provisional list is now a backup to the civil service list and the wait to get hired is under a year last time I checked.

I was able to apply for civil service status and the job at the same time. You do not need to be an employee to apply for it, only to receive it. EMTs in my academy were civil service their first day on the street.

JBJ

Just to clarify ( maybe NY10570 can chime in) FDNY is hiring off of the list from the recent test and not through the call list?

Correct. The current class that is getting outfitted for equipment next week is allegedly entirely off the civil service list (I don't work in Peggy Quinn's office or Ft Totten so I'm just going by what I was told). If they exhaust this list prior to the next test (they probably will) then they will return to the provisional list.

Hello,

I graduated from EMT-b Program this march and applied for FDNY EMS the same month. I also took the civil service exam on DCAS. Now I have a few questions:

Thank you.

Patient...patience...patience.

Where are you currently employed? I notice that your "Current Affiliation" says you are a Career EMT.

Correct. The current class that is getting outfitted for equipment next week is allegedly entirely off the civil service list (I don't work in Peggy Quinn's office or Ft Totten so I'm just going by what I was told). If they exhaust this list prior to the next test (they probably will) then they will return to the provisional list.

Interesting thanks for the info... What are the advantages to having the test over the phone list? Civil service status immediately?

After the completion of your 1 year probationary period, yes you are civil service status immediately. In the past we had people here for years without their civil service status because it was assumed that after 1 year you were granted the same protections as Civil Service while you waited out the next test. Several court rulings and a civil service commission decision later and we find out that no civil service means no civil service protections no matter how long otj.

This also affects your pension. As a provisional employee you're never required to enter into the fund. Once you're civil service you have 6 months before they force you into the fund. Then after you pay back those 6+ months you have the option to buy back all of your provisional time.

Civil service list vs phone list really doesn't affect you as far as getting hired above which list are they hiring off of. Where it comes into play is with your union protection and benefits.

Edited by PFD1257

After the completion of your 1 year probationary period, yes you are civil service status immediately.

For the January 2007 fire test EMTs from my academy were eligible to take the promotional test instead of the open competitive. I know many of them who were hired from that promotional list. Their ODA was 10/16/06, and it was my understanding that your name was processed whether you were an employee or not. Maybe the policy is different now, who knows...

JBJ

Correct, I was referring to the disciplinary side of civil service status with that and over simplified things. If you are hired civil service you are immediately civil service, and therefor are eligible for the Fire promotional. Job protection doesn't begin until after your year of probation.

If you are looking to make good $$ working in NYC, try working for the hospital based voluntary (not-volunteer) EMS services. They are part of the NYC EMS 911 System.

Correct, I was referring to the disciplinary side of civil service status with that and over simplified things. If you are hired civil service you are immediately civil service, and therefor are eligible for the Fire promotional. Job protection doesn't begin until after your year of probation.

Very good!