Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ace84

Hudson River Police- No Probable Cause

10 posts in this topic

Ok......

I am most definitely no expert on marine/police operations, but aren't they allowed to do these "safety inspections", to ascertain all required USCG mandated equipment is aboard? If that's the case, and these aren't "stops" as we think of traffic stops, then I'm not sure what the issue is?

Edit: Remove images

Edited by INIT915

I am most definitely no expert on marine/police operations, but aren't they allowed to do these "safety inspections", to ascertain all required USCG mandated equipment is aboard? If that's the case, and these aren't "stops" as we think of traffic stops, then I'm not sure what the issue is?

Edit: Remove images

And, if they are granted permission to board... isn't it yet again, lawful?

You are correct.

Under New York State and federal Navigational Law, there does not need to be any cause for a law enforcement officer to board a vessel for a safety inspection.

Actually, "LEX" is doubly wrong, because even if he was talking about a traditional land traffic stop, an officer only needs Reasonable Suspicion which is a lower standard than probable cause.

i thought anyone with athourity on the river could do safety checks??

Maybe the cop saw something the camera operator didn't. I see no problem with this. What would make you happier?? Would you rather someone was waiting at the dock to inspect the boat prior to it getting underway?? Or, would you rather the operator did something under the influence?? Then I can hear the whiny, complain about everything types wondering where the cops were.

There is no context in the video or the post here to explain the background so we don't know if there was probable cause or not.

With regard to safety checks, they can be conducted by any lawful authority on any navigable waterway so the whole constitutional issue is moot. There have been several instances during the past few years when the US Coast Guard has collaborated with local law enforcement to conduct frequent vessel boardings on the Hudson and that's what started these "protests".

Having responded to one fatal boating accident on the Hudson that was 100% preventable, I am glad they're doing these checks and the "outcry" against them is fundamentally flawed.

Maybe the original poster would like to provide some context or factual info about the YouTube video he references so we know what the point is.

Since we can trust people to go out boating and be safe, know where they are, how to get home...etc. Geez, this summer alone the Yonkers PD Marine Unit responded to enough jet skiers who ran out of fuel incidents... Sorry, but Lex must be part of river keeper, the same organization that wants to shut down the nuclear power plant on the Hudson. Oh wait, there is a nuclear power plant on the Hudson... Besides that, how many times do we see inexperienced persons do things once in a while that get them and others hurt or in trouble. Oh, and when they stop you and ask to come aboard, you have the right to get their info and research what they do and see if you were violated.