Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markmets415

Tanker Shuttle/Water Drill: Dover Station #2 area on the grounds of the former Harlem Valley Psch. Center: 10/23/10

56 posts in this topic

Great shots Mark, thanks for sharing

Looks like an excellent drill.

Any idea on what kinda flow was achieved and maintained?

Awesome drill. Guess I am going to have to get up there when I'm well enough to get some pictures of some tankers.

Any idea on what kinda flow was achieved and maintained?

We moved a Ton of water.... Over 2000 GPM (2200GPM I believe) for over 2 Hours. Quite impressive........

We moved a Ton of water.... Over 2000 GPM (2200GPM I believe) for over 2 Hours. Quite impressive........

1)How many tankers and

2) what was the distance from the fill site(s) to the dump site(s)?

1)How many tankers

9 tankers were used. most carried 3000 gallons. IIRC two only had 2000 gallons

The furthest fill site was approximately two miles one way from the dump site (4 miles round trip). The other fill site was just across railroad tracks and Route 22, in the former Harlem Valley Pysch Hospital.(less than 1/4 mile one way). Here is a photo I took while being filled to show how close the dump site was. Just follow road straight ahead to the two apparatus in the road to see the dump site. The ladders are just visible above the building:

post-917-010199300 1287975944.jpg

Edited by grumpyff

1)How many tankers

9 tankers were used. most carried 3000 gallons. IIRC two only had 2000 gallons

The furthest fill site was approximately two miles one way from the dump site (4 miles round trip). The other fill site was just across railroad tracks and Route 22, in the former Harlem Valley Pysch Hospital.(less than 1/4 mile one way). Here is a photo I took while being filled to show how close the dump site was. Just follow road straight ahead to the two apparatus in the road to see the dump site. The ladders are just visible above the building:

post-917-010199300 1287975944.jpg

great shot, by the time I got to get over there, it was getting picked up, man I wish I knew that was you down at the pond taking shots at the same time I was.

Wassaic 69-31 and tanker from Kent, CT behind them

post-917-021137000 1287879294.jpg

Millbrook 49-31

post-917-043585400 1287879366.jpg

Sherman, CT Engine 5

post-917-019553000 1287879415.jpg

I just noticed you got me in this shot at the rear of our tanker, it was a really good drill, thanks Carl Q (Dover Car 4) Richie G CC-9 and all the members from the departments for taking time out to join us and make it a very successful training event.

Not knowing much about tanker operations that sounds really good.

Great pictures Mark!

I was hoping to see 51-31 there

The furthest fill site was approximately two miles one way from the dump site (4 miles round trip). The other fill site was just across railroad tracks and Route 22, in the former Harlem Valley Pysch Hospital.(less than 1/4 mile one way.

Not knowing much about tanker operations that sounds really good.

If the primary site was less than 1/4 mile, ISO will recalcualte your GPM rate to at least 1 miles which would be 550gpm.

ISO calculates the distance based on the distance from all structures to the water sources in the district. This is why depts with good ratings develop water supplies so one never has to drive more than 1 mile.

Great pictures, like the Union Vale Tanker!!

4 miles to get water back in the pool... hope you have a radio in those tankers lol.

Very nice shots, thanks for sharing them. Question: where do most of the tankers get their water; from municipal hydrant systems within their own districts, or do they need to draft it from secondary sources?

That's "Wingdale" isn't it?

Looks like it was a very productive drill.

Drafted pond water (even if it appears to be fairly clean) generally has a lot of sediment in it. As such, it's a good reason to avoid using a fog nozzle for interior attacks due to partial or complete clogging of the fog tip causing inadequate GPM's being applied to the fire.

Looks like a good shuttle drill.

efdcapt115 likes this

Drafted pond water (even if it appears to be fairly clean) generally has a lot of sediment in it. As such, it's a good reason to avoid using a fog nozzle for interior attacks due to partial or complete clogging of the fog tip causing inadequate GPM's being applied to the fire.

Looks like a good shuttle drill.

I always love looking into our ponds after a " tanker call ". you find so many rocks, pebbles, sand and dirt.... I always heard of the joke about fish and frogs... but I have yet to see that...

Has anyone tried setting up a large scale draft operation like this on the clock simulating actual response times? Curious to see how long it would take.

Has anyone tried setting up a large scale draft operation like this on the clock simulating actual response times? Curious to see how long it would take.

That is exactly what I expressed during this drill, do the evolution just as it would occur if in fact it was "THE BIG ONE". Also record the time required to fill each tanker, the location it was filled, the dump time of each and how many loads for each tanker were dumped during the drill.

When ever we do a tanker drill in the Croton/Yorktown/Millwood area, we always have the units coming to the drill clock their time of travel, so that once it begins, ( we figure time to get to the FH [ 2 to 3 minutes ] + the time for travel ) so that once the IC calls for tankers we have to wait our estimated times before rolling in ( no jokes on rolling )... works good for us...

When ever we do a tanker drill in the Croton/Yorktown/Millwood area, we always have the units coming to the drill clock their time of travel, so that once it begins, ( we figure time to get to the FH [ 2 to 3 minutes ] + the time for travel ) so that once the IC calls for tankers we have to wait our estimated times before rolling in ( no jokes on rolling )... works good for us...

exactly the way it should be done

That is exactly what I expressed during this drill, do the evolution just as it would occur if in fact it was "THE BIG ONE". Also record the time required to fill each tanker, the location it was filled, the dump time of each and how many loads for each tanker were dumped during the drill.

Thats what ISO requires if you want to be credited as anything better than a 9 (or an 8b). If you can make there GPM numbers for your district then you can generally become a 4-6. There are VFD's out there that have. Too bad none in the Hudson Valley have. It validates your department when you can prove you can do the job you claim you can. Plus it reduces everyone in your districts insurance by 24 - 40%.

This is what ISO requires if you want your rating to be anything better than a 9 (or 8B). A number of FD's around the country have proven themselves, but none in the Hudson Valley. It validates a department when they can move the amount of water ISO determines is needed in your district to fight a fire. Plus it lowers property insurance by 24 - 40%.

Excellent shots! Thanks for posting! Do all the tankers have similar tank sizes?

Excellent shots! Thanks for posting! Do all the tankers have similar tank sizes?

The ones shown here during the drill were all close in size, IIRC the smallest was 2000 gallons, the largest 3000. The come in all sizes. Patterson's engine/tanker, 22-2-3 shown below is 1500 gallons (but was not at the drill), 22-4-2 (Patterson tanker has 3000, and 22-4-1 has 2300 gallons) . In the South Salem New Tanker thread, the tanker just replaced had 3250 gallons.

22-2-3 1500 GPM/1500 gallons

post-917-0-54117900-1290278660.jpg

22-4-1 250/2300

post-917-0-05589000-1290279051.jpg

22-4-2 1500/3000

post-917-0-32803300-1290279071.jpg