Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Hydrant Assist Valves

7 posts in this topic

I'm wondering two things:

1. Does any department in the NYC Metro area use these?

2. How do they work?

When I was with Briarcliff Manor FD we used a Humat 4-way valve to hit the hydrant for a straight lay in. When the second engine arrived at the hydrant and if pumping the initial line was needed, they simply hooked up, opened the by-pass, then "pumped the hydrant" without interrupting the flow to the initial lay.

The valve goes on the hydrant steamer connection and feeds a 2-1/2 ( or whatever size you want) outlet and supplies water once the hydrant is charged.

http://www.humat.com/trainingsupport.html

75016433.jpg

Arlington in Dutchess uses these assist valves and OGs state that they should be used on commercial structures and long lays.

Marlboro has one on the first out engine, and it is hooked up everytime we hit a hydrant. If we actually use it is dependent on the water pressure at the hydrant, which can vary hydrant to hyrdant and time of day.

Ah, the Humat valve. I forgot what they called it (thanks Jack and George) but remember it from when I used to go out to LA, where's it's used standard.

However, Task Force Tips has been adverstising the "Oasis" valve. Is that any different?

PFD has used the humat and other variants as long as they've had LD hose. First engine lays in from the hydrant and second engine ties into the valve. Slowly start increasing pressure from the pump to the valve. As this pressure starts to equal the pressure flowing from the hydrant the valve begins to open filling the line from the valve to the engine. Once you exceed the hydrant pressure the valve opens fully and all water is diverted through the pump and then on to the supply hose.