Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Eastchester FD Rescue 5

38 posts in this topic

NRFD never had a house on Weaver. TMFD does.

I was always under the Impression that our old 1942 ALF Ladder came from a fire house in New Roc on Weaver St. In fact I think Weaver St was written somewhere on the rig. But I am glad that after all these years, I finally got the right Scoop on it. I always thought it came from New Rochelle. Thanks guys.

Owning a rescue and staffing a rescue company are two very different issues. staffing with one or two firefighters is not a rescue company. There are only a handfull of Fire Departments in New York State that have properly staffed, trainined and equipped Rescue Companies (24/7/365). And with the looming cuts its unlikely we will see more anytime soon (unless consolidation is considered).

An ISO report done on the Eastchester Fire Dept. sometime in the 1950's, recommended Rescue 5 be staffed with 7 career firefighters, creating a "flying squad" unit that would respond to all working fires in the three municipalities that EFD covers. Particularly in light of the minimal career staffing in place on the rest of the apparauts throughout the Town, and two villages.

This was never done.

Instead, the Rescue was decommissioned, the company members were moved onto the sister company in Station 3; Engine 29 at the recommendation of a newer consultant's report.

The Rescue itself, was never properly equipped, the FAST gear came in later years, the cribbing, etc, all the things that would have been appropriate for the Rescue.

The 3 Police departments objected to the Rescue responding to EMS calls; one of it's original functions way before EVAC had paid staff. Honestly, with it's lack of equipment, save the Hurst tool equipment which was later relocated to Engine Company 27's Rescue Pumper, it was hard to argue against the PD's case.

The Brockway was a fantastic rig, amazingly nimble in the right chauffer's hands. It was equipped with a jake brake, acceleration and stopping were it's forte. However one unfortunate soul made the mistake years ago of blasting his radio, cutting over the double yellow line and was sent to Heaven at an early age for driving IFO this rig. Of course the chauffer operating it at the time had to live with this for the rest of his life.

Be careful out there driving fire apparatus. You NEVER know what is about to ocur right in front of you.

With Station 6 now active up on Summerfield, R-5 should be re-established and moved there when Station 5 work is completed. Yes, I know 6 is leased. I'm kidding.

Has/was any thought given to bringing it back ever?

I was always under the Impression that our old 1942 ALF Ladder came from a fire house in New Roc on Weaver St. In fact I think Weaver St was written somewhere on the rig. But I am glad that after all these years, I finally got the right Scoop on it. I always thought it came from New Rochelle. Thanks guys.

You are correct in that this was the original Ladder 19. It was in use by the Town of Mamaroneck FD until the early 70's.

The building shown is the TMFD HQ on Weaver St.

One of the most thrilling times I had when I volunteered in Eatchester was being fortunate enough to have responded in R-5 on storm duty. It was a great rig even though there was little to no room in the cab. After it left Eastchester it was turned over to Westchester County be become a trench rescue vehicle I believe. This never came to reality and I believe(could be wrong)that the county sold it for $75.00 not being able to run.

Edited by ptwatson

I missed the original posting of the picture of this rig. If I did not know better I would have thought it was the old FDNY R-3.

With Station 6 now active up on Summerfield, R-5 should be re-established and moved there when Station 5 work is completed. Yes, I know 6 is leased. I'm kidding.

Has/was any thought given to bringing it back ever?

summefield st?? isnt that in scarsdale. Im assuming they leased like a old mechanics bay??

summefield st?? isnt that in scarsdale. Im assuming they leased like a old mechanics bay??

Scarsdale PO, Town of Eastchester. Station 5 on Wilmont is undergoing repairs to the floor, so EFD leased a vacant warehouse on Summerfield.