Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Keith00923

FDNY test in 2011

43 posts in this topic

Nobody should be defending this judge in any way. He's going about this all the wrong way and making inicent well deserving people pay for it.

Edited by paratrooper75
JohnnyOV likes this

I thought it was illegal to mandate that someone disclose their race according to EEOC... Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Nobody should be defending this judge in any way. He's going about this all the wrong way and making inicent well deserving people pay for it.

I thought it was illegal to mandate that someone disclose their race according to EEOC... Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Let me disclose I am not defending this decision. I'm just as opposed to it as you are, but that being said...

The original plaintiff in this case was, none other than the EEOC. Ironic, isn't it? So, to now say that the proposed solution, as outlined by the Judge, violates EEOC rules seems a little unsupported, no? In essence, you are arguing that the EEOC sought injunctive relief, which they obtained through summary judgment, which somehow concurrently violates their own standards. Doesn't really make sense, does it?

For a pretty easy to read analysis of this, feel free to check out this article. The article also addresses the difference between the Vulcan case and the New Haven case.

I think the issue is employers aren't allowed to factor race in in anyway when hiring; therefore, applications say listing your race is optional. However, NYC is saying we need your race for our own (and the courts) statistics, but we PROMISE it won't be used as a factor in the hiring process.

This is all a little crazy... If I check the caucasion box and someone else checks the hispanic or African American box they can be hired before me? Based on the need for diversity?

This is all a little crazy... If I check the caucasion box and someone else checks the hispanic or African American box they can be hired before me? Based on the need for diversity?

No

I've been going back through the articles covering this case and none of them indicate that the race question is mandatory. It is by all indications still optional. The change the judge asked for was a language change that indicates to the applicant an intent to falsify the race response will result in disqualification.

So far the city has aggressively and successfully resisted the judges demand for a quota based hiring process. While these test may be dumbed down all hiring decisions will be based upon your score and nothing else.

Anyone know any good study books or resources?

Anyone know any good study books or resources?

This test, it's format and the company who made it are completely new to NYC. I don't think you'll find anything out there unless something is published (and probably will be) by FDNY or DCAS.

That was my concern... I would like to get a good head start on it. Hopefully something will come from them soon.

The dept will offer training classes before the exam. However, before the last exam the training offered by the FD did not match the exam they held. A good start is a GED study guide. It will cover basic math, reading comprehension, etc.

Just two points.. Picking your race is mandatory on the online application. I just did it yesterday. Also, not to insult anyones intelligence but this test is going to be a step above color by number and connect the dots. The last test was an insult because it was so easy so I cant wait to see how they can come up with something more simple.. time will tell.

There is a pretty good example of what to expect floating around on Facebook...if you look hard enough, you can find it..LOL