Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

New Rochelle High School Major Fire-images from the 1960's

42 posts in this topic

New Rochelle High School Working fire in the late 1960's.

post-23-0-26219600-1289273472.png

Ground & Aerial footage of the major fire at NRHS.

post-23-0-36982500-1289273498.png

post-23-0-60996700-1289273519.png

post-23-0-84735400-1289273596.png

More images to follow from the ground.

Special credit to PCFD ENG58 for this contribution to Protection from the Past.

Like, Dudes...like those pictures are all like green and fuzzy.

Is that what the '60s were like? Knarly fire!

Sorry, but couldn't pass up that chance to revisit the '60's. I missed the good stuff though. I was working for my Uncle Sam.

Credit PCFD ENG58 - Protection From the Past

post-23-0-21668500-1289276431.png

post-23-0-34120800-1289276451.png

post-23-0-04697300-1289276473.png

FIRE RUINS SCHOOL IN NEW ROCHELLE; Arson Believed the Cause, SCHOOL IS BURNED IN NEW ROCHELLE

RALPH BLUMENTHALSpecial to The New York Times ();

May 18, 1968,

, Section , Page 1, Column , words

NEW ROCHELLE, N. Y., May 17 -- New Rochelle High School was destroyed today by a fire that the Police Commissioner called "definitely a torch job."

Newspaper article described the blaze as "definitely a torch job." quote by NRPD Commissioner.

Is that what the '60s were like? Knarly fire!

When I was talking to some of the old timers that worked that fire, they kept saying that "Murphy" was there at every turn.

There was a rash of false alarms the days prior to the fire. So no one was "running" out the door as all the prior alarms were false. It came in at the change of shift so guys got stymied in getting their gear on and were not with their normal crew as it was a combination of two shifts. The standpipe cabinets nearest to the fire had damaged threads so they moved to the next one which could not be turned on due to a problem with the valve. When they found a good standpipe they were now too far from the fire to reach it. They had to call for more lengths to add to the stretched line. All this took time and the fire got a good head start. To add to Murphy's presents, there was major renovations being done to the building which gave Murphy the run of the buildings, and did he run through the entire building.

I remember my dad bringing me to the aftermath of this fire. I remember they ringed the scene with standing plywood. Does my memory from being only 5 years old hold true? (I also licked the flag pole and my tongue got stuck to it and they had to call a unit over for that)

Plenty of spectators as fire continues to spread

post-4754-0-11003800-1289307029.jpg

Edited by Howard Peiffer

Like, Dudes...like those pictures are all like green and fuzzy.

One thing is certain, they weren't taken with a cell phone!

I remember my dad bringing me to the aftermath of this fire. I remember they ringed the scene with standing plywood. Does my memory from being only 5 years old hold true? (I also licked the flag pole and my tongue got stuck to it and they had to call a unit over for that)

Licking poles at the age of 5....huh.gif

Licking poles at the age of 5....huh.gif

I'm guessing it's a sarcastic reference to the movie "Christmas Story"...............

Does anyone have photos of the Crabtree explosion and fire on Main Street?- I think it was 1971.

I'm guessing it's a sarcastic reference to the movie "Christmas Story"...............

Well it was a reference to the film, but meant as a joke, no sarcasm intended Brother. But let's not take away from the images of the fire, the ones recently added by Howard Peiffer are stunningly clear. Beautiful job.

Edit: Oh yeah F.D.N.R.? Never knew....

Edited by efdcapt115

Are Angelo's stills taken from an 8mm?

Angelo's 8mm transferred to disc , then clipped has photos.

Does anyone have photos of the Crabtree explosion and fire on Main Street?- I think it was 1971.

Is that the same incident as the Chevrolet car dealership explosion / fire ?

Yes I do and TR54 has them from the same 8mm film that I received back in the day? Crabtree was taken from ground shots while the high school was from a Helicopter on some shots from CBS News! I was at Crabtree on Mutual aid with engine 61 from Port Chester, Anybody see that motorcycle cop fly threw the air!

Edited by PCFD ENG58

Yes I do and TR54 has them from the same 8mm film that I received back in the day? Crabtree was taken from ground shots while the high school was from a Helicopter on some shots from CBS News! I was at Crabtree on Mutual aid with engine 61 from Port Chester, Anybody see that motorcycle cop fly threw the air!

Hey we had a "Crabtree" fire too......."oh Miss Crabtree, there's something heavy on my heart."

Wow great pics from the past. I can def. Say that was be for

my time.

One more classic. love that TDA in action!

Great pictures Howard , Thank you.

Ang, Was the Chevrolet car dealership crabtree or Soundview ? just asking

Great pictures Howard , Thank you.

Ang, Was the Chevrolet car dealership crabtree or Soundview ? just asking

Soundview Chevrolet .......................... Crabtree Chrysler/Plymouth

Edited by LTNRFD

post-23-0-12286700-1289336576.png

Ladder Pipe operations - Straight stick

post-23-0-91885100-1289336593.png

post-23-0-87337700-1289336611.png

Holy Mackerel, that is a beautiful place to have a school! I am guessing that it is a multi story semi commercial with halls lining the exterior? How did it start?