Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Your Harley

27 posts in this topic

It's bad enough that the exit off the highway to my house is right next to Round Rock Harley Davidson and I have to drool over the bikes shining out front everyday, but this one did it for me. I recently saw this Harley Davidson Sportster on display, and I was in love.

But, with everything that's happened to me, and with a 3 month old daughter, I'm highly doubtful my wife would allow this, nor could I afford this right now....unless I could sell my car...which is feabile because you can ride almost year round here in Texas, and most places have designated motorcycle parking. I'd also be scared with the way some people drive, but some of the Texas backroads and Texas Highways (different from regular highways) would be great places to ride. Also worked EMS near Fort Hood, where soldiers would get back and buy themselves a motorcycle, and then go "ride" it, and I've seen some hell-acious trauma for motorcycle wrecks that has me scared.

Anyways, here's a photo:

post-11-0-12913800-1291486042.jpg

That's one heck of a sweet Sportster. That script on the tank goes back to the "Bronson Special." There used to be a TV show way back when "Then Came Bronson." Anybody remember that one? Around 1970, Harley came out with that special Sportster model, with that tank script. I like how they've incorporated the HD name over the Sportster script.

IF you decide to ride, first thing you should do, if you've never ridden before, is take an approved riders' class. These are given pretty much everywhere, and the Harley dealership would be able to point you in the direction of one close by.

After taking the class and learning the tricks of riding; like "counter-steering" it's best to stay on just the local roads, and away from any highways, until you're totally familiar with the operation of the bike. It has to be second nature as to what your four appendages are responsible for;

left hand: clutch

right hand: throttle and front brake

left foot: shifter

right foot: rear brake

You have to ride with the mindset that EVERY intersection you are responsible to look in EVERY direction. Going through EVERY traffic light, you still need to look in ALL directions. You cannot make ONE mistake. You have to ride like if you are in an accident; it will kill you. Only that heighten state of alert will keep you from making an error.

Never have even ONE beer and get on the bike. EVER.

Liquor makes you take risks you normally wouldn't take.

After all your bases are covered, there is nothing quite as exhilarating and "being in the moment" like riding. And there's a saying about Harleys which I cannot repeat here; but the gist of it is "there's nothing like a Harley."

When you stop at a red light, unlike being in your car or truck, you are THERE. You are sitting right there, wherever you are. In the moment, you smell the trees, and plants, you need only park the bike and dismount, you are already standing in your environment. We tend to sit in our cars and trucks, we aren't really where we are. We are insulated from our surroundings, which isn't a bad thing at times, like moving through parts of the south Bronx at 1AM! But for really feeling where you are, especially on those nice rides in the country, the back country roads, smelling the freshly cut lawns, and the wild-flowers growing along side to roadway, riding a bike is really great fun.

You can ride bikes that are technically far superior to a Harley. BMW, some of the big Japanese bikes, have quite a bit going for them.

But, a Harley is Americana, and driving our beautiful roads in North America on one is a really fun experience!

Just watch out for them Hells Angels dudes. You don't want to get involved with that crowd. B)

(photo from Key West this past Halloween @Fantasyfest Parade)

post-1020-0-92726100-1291491538.jpg

x635 and BFD1054 like this

I have a 95 anniversary edition Sportster 1200cc bought it about eight years ago with (get this) 750 original miles! Got it for a good price too. Unfortunately last year I ended dumping it when I came a across a pothole in the middle of my line. Got pretty banged up but not to much damage to the bike. I would love to buy a new bike like a Softtail or a Dyna but my real dream is to get an old FXR frame and chop it out.

I have a 95 anniversary edition Sportster 1200cc bought it about eight years ago with (get this) 750 original miles! Got it for a good price too. Unfortunately last year I ended dumping it when I came a across a pothole in the middle of my line. Got pretty banged up but not to much damage to the bike. I would love to buy a new bike like a Softtail or a Dyna but my real dream is to get an old FXR frame and chop it out.

That's cool But where's the photo bro? C'mon, anybody responding in this thread, let's make it mandatory, you gotta post a photo of your shy self and your ride.... :P

x635 likes this

That's cool But where's the photo bro? C'mon, anybody responding in this thread, let's make it mandatory, you gotta post a photo of your shy self and your ride.... :P

here is mine

post-4109-0-97990900-1291500332.jpg

x635, efdcapt115 and BFD1054 like this

post-2893-0-05834400-1291511667.jpg

I was at work, don't carry it with me (picture that is). The pic was taken about 5 years ago (back when I was dispatching). The bike hasn't changed much except for taking off the back rest and rack, new mirrors, grips, levers and some other accents.

efdcapt115 likes this

Nice bike Izzy! This is turning into a pretty cool thread. C'mon the rest of you, don't be shy, get your rides up!

heres my new one, its a 73 harley ironhead rigid frame. 1000cc,kickstart,6 inch flat fender,and runs like a raped ape.

No monkey bars? lol

Sweet looking bike, I bet your butt gets bruised up after a few rides on the wonderful pot-hole spotted roads in the Port Chester area. I especially like the Eastbound ramp at the end of I-287 that merges into northbound I-95! A real teeth rattler, even on a late model Evo....can't imagine what it must be like on a hard-tail. :o Truly a hard core believer/rider.

x635 likes this

A rigid??? Well If I ride that one, I'll have to bring my "kidney saver" belt!!! LOL

Used to have a bike. The wife (at the time) made me take out life insurance before I could buy it-lol. Hey Seth, you should get Brett from TVAC to put his Harley up on here. Sweet bike.

Stay Safe all.

Joe

x635 likes this

2004 Buell Lightning (well, it is a Harley motor). It is a little customized here and there (pipe, mirrors, reworked tail section, seat) but nothing very dramatic. When I lived in the Mid-Hudson Valley (in the 1980s), I road raced and dirt tracked. My favorite Harley of all time was Lucifer's Hammer (see picture; unfortunately not me riding it). I recall Jay Springsteen passing me (in practice) at Loudon/turn 3 in the early-mid 1980s. I was on one of my TZ250s, and I could feel that bike rumble by! Mine has enough of that sound to make me smile.

post-19942-0-72223100-1291647857.jpg

post-19942-0-12451500-1291648139.jpg

x635 likes this

Cool Buell. What is that white stuff on the ground all around and under the bike? Hmm.......(I'm getting old and have been in the South for a while now......I know I remember what it's called....it's in the noggin somewhere.... :blink: )

x635 likes this

I had an accident 2 years ago just north of sleepy hollow country club and the only needed a new tank I re did the bike front to rear chrome to nuts 2005 Harley Dyna Glyde it's got 5K on it vance and hines short shot exhaust grey with baby blue letters the bike has been garage kept after we re-did it at the dealer, if anyone is looking make me a reasonable offer I need to get rid of it I 'll try and get a pic up soon.

x635 likes this

if anyone is looking make me a reasonable offer I need to get rid of it I 'll try and get a pic up soon.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Don't forget about the EMTBravo Classifieds, free to list your bike for sale:

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?app=classifieds

2001 softail night train now. my first was 99 883 i rode the whole east coast from fla. to toronto canada.Went out and bought a softail and never use itmake me a good offer and it might be in your garage...harley.bmp

seasons close riding the bike today,lets see who else has a bike and updated pics if you did anything new.just did some more work to bike added new sissy bar,led lighting for all rear lights and a few other.

post-263-0-21588800-1298075791.jpg

post-263-0-26858700-1298075820.jpg

post-263-0-84976400-1298075863.jpg

efdcapt115 and PCFD ENG58 like this

It's 2100hrs 30 mph winds and 35 digrees, and he's out there riding ! Must be cool!

DO I SEE AN IRONHEAD??????

No not the rider, I mean the engine! :lol: