Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Is This For Real? (Somers Commissioner Election)

51 posts in this topic

It was brought to my attention that there is a pretty heated battle going on for the Board of Fire Commissioners in Somers. While I could care less since I don't live there, what I found interesting was some of the information at the link here: www.electstevepilla.com.

Pay attention to the Dispatch Comparison page... those of you using 60 Control should know what is right and what is wrong information here.

My question is this - where is this (mis)information coming from?

wow cant remember the last time i never got a cross street from 60.... is this guy for real or what>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :blink:

No cross streets? No past call history? blink.gif ummmmunsure.gif

Having worked Somers Dispatch while a Paramedic at Westchester EMS, as well as having worked at 60 Control, I must say this has been a hot topic in Somers for a while. When I was there, I contended that the money could be better used to staff the ambulance.

Anyways, the way it was always explained to me, is that the commisioners feel they would lose a lot of "control" by switching to 60 Control. They want things done their own way, and basically have their own control center, in addition to dispatch center.

This canidate seems qualified and has a very informative web page, but I disagree with his misleading assertions about communications. Many of the things he states 60 Control does not provide, if even true, Somers could still find a way to do while being still being dispatched by 60 Control. Amongst other examples, Bedford Hills has intergrated a lot of the technology themselves while being dispatched by 60 Control that Somers claims they wouldn't get.

It's nothing more than political rhetoric. Just like any other campaign.

No offense to Commissioner Pilla but many of his comparisons are flat wrong. I dont work at 60 but I have been there enough times and know the Somers/WEMS area very well.

1. The residents of Somers already pay for in their county taxes the for 60. By having to then pay more again for WEMS (not a dig on WEMS) to do the same job that 60 is going is simply charging the residence twice for a service they receive once.

2. Regards 60 security. While I will not go into it completely. Yes the doors lock from the inside, yes their are cameras and how much venerable can it be with a WCPD literally a stones throw away.

3. Regards dispatching. Yes they provide past call history, yes they provide cross streets, yes they give special announcements, yes they dispatch mutual aid and yes they dispatch according to SOP/SOGs so long as you tell them what you want.

I am curious what members of Somers think of their commissioner, his claims and his popularity.

2. Regards 60 security. While I will not go into it completely. Yes the doors lock from the inside, yes their are cameras and how much venerable can it be with a WCPD literally a stones throw away.

They are talking about the ability to lock and unlock any of the fire houses including opening bay doors and what not. Not the actual dispatch center being locked.

Hey maybe if this guy provided 60 Control with the information about Somers, then they would have it!!! It's not that hard, I was a regional dispatcher, asked for some information from my town to give to my boss and wha-la my dispatch center had the correct information!! Not that hard. Gotta love politics!

Hey maybe if this guy provided 60 Control with the information about Somers, then they would have it!!! Gotta love politics!

Most of the things that he says (on his website) that 60 Control does not provide, they have been providing to us for years.

I didn't intend to knock on Steve or the Somer FD at all, I just wanted others to know that some of his "points" are incorrect.

I worked at Somers before WEMS did the dispatch. I know how they operate and I am sure if they ever wanted to utilize 60 Control, it would work out just fine for them.

Just as it has for the other 40+ Fire Departments and several EMS agenices we dispatch every day.

Coming from a department that only recently made the change, I know a lot of people feel it won't work, but trust me, not only does it - but it is an improvement. When you have dedicated communications personnel, CAD/IT staff & the GIS people that 60 Control has available, you simply get a better service. All of the arguements I have heard from every agency that is against it or thinking about it have yet to be validated.

PS - Nice website, Steve. It's very well laid out and organized.

NIce looking website whether or not its accurate; appearance is 50% from the get-go. "Joe Public" will read it and if the other opponents have nothing to compare to it, they'll most likely vote for him if for nothing, he talks a good talk in his website.

From the referenced website:

An agreement was made where they would dispatch for Somers Fire District and their transport service. Later on with the increase in mutual aid, Somers utilized their transport side to mutual aid the department when an ambulance is unavailable.

Does WEMS provides in-town mutual aid to Somers? What does Somers do that makes it mutual?

WEMS has the contract for a 24/7 staffed ambulance with 2 EMTs, as well as automatic mutual aid for certain places in the district and then if Somers ever needs to go mutual aid for a call, say for a 2nd or 3rd call in district WEMS will respond. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

628Retired Says.. " No Pen No Paper" Thats the 60 Motto..

Perhaps before people let others make a page for them..They should see the technology at 60.. But Somers can pay and pay and pay.. hundreds of thousands a year of taxpayer money.. to open their doors..Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

NIce looking website whether or not its accurate; appearance is 50% from the get-go. "Joe Public" will read it and if the other opponents have nothing to compare to it, they'll most likely vote for him if for nothing, he talks a good talk in his website.

An experienced chief often stated: "never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

helicopper likes this

WEMS has the contract for a 24/7 staffed ambulance with 2 EMTs, as well as automatic mutual aid for certain places in the district and then if Somers ever needs to go mutual aid for a call, say for a 2nd or 3rd call in district WEMS will respond. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Thats not mutual aid, thats an open agreement for coverage in consideration of billing. Nothing wrong with it, just call it what it is.

Does 60 have the ability send jobs to an MDT?

Not exactly, but we are working on having it running by spring.

Maybe it would have been sooner if the communication report from the fire advisory board (the one that supported the trunk system) supported data transmition, but but I understand that was not considered important by many depts.

Not exactly, but we are working on having it running by spring.

Maybe it would have been sooner if the communication report from the fire advisory board (the one that supported the trunk system) supported data transmition, but but I understand that was not considered important by many depts.

Hope it happens. From the EMS side it's invaluable having all that information on a screen at you're fingertips and one of the things i thought NYC did well. On the fire side...i understand it's just as useful.

Anyone know how comprehensive the somer/wems MDT system is?

Hope it happens. From the EMS side it's invaluable having all that information on a screen at you're fingertips and one of the things i thought NYC did well. On the fire side...i understand it's just as useful.

The system we designed is tied to our vehicle mapping system. It will give us the dispatchers notes (type of call, special info and instructions), CIDS info and will identify the call location on our GIS map. Which also gives hydrant data. In addition the MDTs include AVL so the CAD system will be able to "see" where the resources are.

We received a group grant toward this system which will put the mapping system into 9 southern Westchester departments (2 already have it installed).

We expect to have it operational by spring

An experienced chief often stated: "never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

That is so true.

So if WEMS dispatches Somers from the Somers firehouse, why does 60-Control dispatch the 45 Medics which I believe are WEMS?

So if WEMS dispatches Somers from the Somers firehouse, why does 60-Control dispatch the 45 Medics which I believe are WEMS?

Because a WEMS medic is dispatched along with the local FD or VAC in the 45-Medic service area. So 60 Control to 45-Medic-X and XXX FD/VAC please respond to 123 main street is what gets toned out. The WEMS dispatchers in Somers are for Somers only and interWEMS communucation.

Just to be fair...

Another candidate's site:

http://www.vote4arena1214.com

I don't believe the third candidate has a site.

I can't comment on any claims made on either site nor do I endorse any candidate. Simply posting FYI.

Edited by unleashedff248
JM15 and x635 like this

Because a WEMS medic is dispatched along with the local FD or VAC in the 45-Medic service area. So 60 Control to 45-Medic-X and XXX FD/VAC please respond to 123 main street is what gets toned out. The WEMS dispatchers in Somers are for Somers only and interWEMS communucation.

Priceless

Someone please correct this if it is not correct:

I'm driving up RT 35 in Somers and I witness an MVA roll over with intrapment. I call 911 on my cell. The Hudson vally transportation center in Hawthorne transfers my call to 60 control.

60 Control dispatches Medic 45 and notifies NYSP. Then they notify Somers Dispatch Center to send Somers FD & FD EMS.

Priceless

Someone please correct this if it is not correct:

I'm driving up RT 35 in Somers and I witness an MVA roll over with intrapment. I call 911 on my cell. The Hudson vally transportation center in Hawthorne transfers my call to 60 control.

60 Control dispatches Medic 45 and notifies NYSP. Then they notify Somers Dispatch Center to send Somers FD & FD EMS.

I believe sometimes it works this way. Other times it goes straight from TMC to Somers. Somers then notifies 60 for a medic.

Edited by unleashedff248

so has enyone out there ever been lost in the shuffle when there are major incidents going county wide like storms or several fires? just wondering.

.............So 60 Control to 45-Medic-X and XXX FD/VAC please respond to 123 main street.....

SEE? They even say PLEASE!Now who could dispatch better than that? :D

so has enyone out there ever been lost in the shuffle when there are major incidents going county wide like storms or several fires? just wondering.

What do you mean "lost in the shuffle"?

60-Control, and many other large regional dispatch centers handle multiple major incidents and high volume without any adverse outcomes. If you think that they'll somehow lose your call, I'd be very surprised to learn of that ever happening (at least in recent history - to cling to isolated incidents from 10-20-30 years ago would be unfair).