Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest 29-Indigo

Police Academy Question

20 posts in this topic

Does anyone know when Westchester County is running the next Police Academy? I know a class is going now and finishes this week or next, so I was trying to figure out when the next one is.

Thanks.

Does anyone know when Westchester County is running the next Police Academy? I know a class is going now and finishes this week or next, so I was trying to figure out when the next one is.

Thanks.

The next test isn't until Fall 2012 so probably not until after that.

http://humanresources.westchestergov.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=171&Itemid=1826

I believe it depends on how many towns/cities hire new PO's and what they have numbers wise

Port Chester just hired one for the next class right after the first of year somewere.

The next class starts January 10,2010. I heard Yonkers is hiring 30

Thanks everyone. I was told that this class starting in January has up to 60 people signed up. Good luck to those of you going!

What is the hiring process? Interview, then agility test, then academy? What's the usual time frame from one step to the next?

(I'm concerned because I got a few canvass letters and want to make sure I don't blow it!)

Thanks.

There may be more or less than 60. Departments are making decisions and filling positions right up until the last minute and rumors abound until the class actually starts. Given that some of the bigger jobs didn't have anyone in this class, there is a possibility that they will put in a bunch but budgets are tight and there's no telling for sure.

January 10 is the start date though. Academy classes run twice a year every year and have nothing to do with the testing cycle. Recruits are hired off of whatever list is current.

If anyone is anticipating starting in the January class, start running now and make sure you can do the requisite number of push-ups/sit-ups for the Cooper standard. You don't want to be fat and happy from the holidays and get left puking on Dana Road during the first run. :o

If anyone is anticipating starting in the January class, start running now and make sure you can do the requisite number of push-ups/sit-ups for the Cooper standard. You don't want to be fat and happy from the holidays and get left puking on Dana Road during the first run. :o

That's what worries me! When would the agility be given?

The agility is given when a dept. considers hiring you. You have to pass it to even be considered. If you get hired, you will be given it at the start, the middle, and the end of the academy. The test that really counts is at the end. It will step up to the next percentile (get harder) and if you don't pass you don't graduate. Good luck.

What is the hiring process? Interview, then agility test, then academy? What's the usual time frame from one step to the next?

(I'm concerned because I got a few canvass letters and want to make sure I don't blow it!)

Thanks.

Don't forget medical and phycological evaluation.

Don't forget medical and phycological evaluation.

Psych...hmm....is it bad that I talk to myself? :lol:

Good luck to those about to get hired or assigned to the academy. You'll make lifelong friends and relationships there and believe it or not you'll actually have a good time.

The agility is given when a dept. considers hiring you. You have to pass it to even be considered. If you get hired, you will be given it at the start, the middle, and the end of the academy. The test that really counts is at the end. It will step up to the next percentile (get harder) and if you don't pass you don't graduate. Good luck.

Just to clarify, they ALL count so you definitely don't want to slack off on the fitness training between now and the last Cooper test. You can be put on probation or even dismissed for not meeting standards throughout the academy and nobody wants to see that happen.

Team Work! and watch out for each other from day 1! If someone needs something one day whether its polish for shoes or some other BS thing help that person out! That's what this job is all about getting each others back! Don't be that person who only looks out for you and doesn't care about the person next to you, because it will be a long difficult road for you!

BFD1054 likes this

Teamwork is definately is the key! Check up on everyone in your squad and most importantly make sure they show up on time!!

Psych...hmm....is it bad that I talk to myself? :lol:

Do you also answer yourself?

Do you also answer yourself?

I keep getting a busy signal...

If someone is called for an interview, and that PD is interested, they send you to the agility - correct? What happens if you fail the agility, is there a re-test or do you get dropped from the list for good?

If you fail the agility, you are off the list.