Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Ambulance fire explosion

24 posts in this topic

This video could have been put in the storm thread, but it is deserving of it's own. At 2:20 in to the video...better duck....youtube credit:elag777

Edited by efdcapt115
JetPhoto likes this

I like how the person filming say 'Why are the firefighter there like that"...perhaps because your hiding?

Glad to see that no one got injured.

"Why are they using water on fire?" um let me think for a moment.

Isn't it amazing how when it comes to firefighting everyone is a friggin' expert! "You're not supposed to put water on that..." What then should they use Mr. 9 - 5 desk jockey, orange juice, milk, urine ??? God bless the Brothers, I'm glad they weren't injured. They really had their hands full with the storm and the lack of resources thanks to Mayor Bloomberg and his immediate staff of CEO losers...

I thought I got a scoop on this video, and sent it in to Dave Statter this afternoon. His blog was covering the second Chicago LODD funeral today with a live video feed. So after the funeral (it really was a beautiful service) he updated his site, and right at the top was this video with the headline "MUST SEE VIDEO". I was "like wow" and checked the credits....."Firefighter Close Calls" had it up yesterday.....no scoop for me. Oh well. Anyway much more important than that, is no Brothers were killed or seriously injured at this fire.

Which leads me to ask, do any members out there have any SOPs from their departments regarding "Ambulance Fires"? I have to admit I've never seen this before; an ambulance fire that exploded. Never really thought about it much before either. The boneheads commenting on the video suggest it was oxygen that let go. Anybody agree with that?

We had a liquid oxygen fueled fire on my job a couple of decades ago. It was on the 2nd or 3rd floor of a 10 story Type 1 OMD that burned so hot it affected the concrete construction, and auto exposed up two floors. Very fortunate it only killed two people. Oxygen. Very healthy for patients....potentially deadly in a fire. Any thoughts on the subject?

x635 likes this

Wow that was simply amazing that the firefighter didnt get hurt, being just feet away and that crazy explosion and he went right back to spraying after that!! I have just one question, did I see his mask hanging down before AND after the explosion? If thats what it actually was then why on earth wouldnt he step back and put on his mask before going at it again? But whats done is done and noone got hurt, THANK GOD!

Wow that was simply amazing that the firefighter didnt get hurt, being just feet away and that crazy explosion and he went right back to spraying after that!! I have just one question, did I see his mask hanging down before AND after the explosion? If thats what it actually was then why on earth wouldnt he step back and put on his mask before going at it again? But whats done is done and noone got hurt, THANK GOD!

I have to agree with you and that mask statement :blink:

Bet thats the last time he's gonna walk up to a car fire without a mask.

I have to agree with you and that mask statement :blink:

Bet thats the last time he's gonna walk up to a car fire without a mask.

When operating at a vehicle fire, it is appropriate to use the reach of the stream rather than to get in close due to the many hazards (Fuel, fluids, exploding shocks, bumpers, struts, drive shafts, air bags, hood and trunk struts, various hazardous materials that may be transported in the vehicle to name a few). As far as using the SCBA? He should be using it just in case, even though he appears to be in clear air. Protect your lungs, mine are shot and it's not pleasant. If I am taking a walk and a truck passes by leaving a cloud of diesel exhaust in its wake, I wish I had SCBA ... it requires me getting away from the exhaust and using my inhaler. Stay safe ...

Edited by bad box

Just what the World needs......more clueless drunks critiquing fire department operations.

efdcapt115 likes this

When operating at a vehicle fire, it is appropriate to use the reach of the stream rather than to get in close due to the many hazards (Fuel, fluids, exploding shocks, bumpers, struts, drive shafts, air bags, hood and trunk struts, various hazardous materials that may be transported in the vehicle to name a few). As far as using the SCBA? He should be using it just in case, even though he appears to be in clear air. Protect your lungs, mine are shot and it's not pleasant. If I am taking a walk and a truck passes by leaving a cloud of diesel exhaust in its wake, I wish I had SCBA ... it requires me getting away from the exhaust and using my inhaler. Stay safe ...

And I do know this, much the same way a rubbish fire would be attacked. But in this case, yes it does appear that he was in clean air, but is it possible to know if the wind isn't going to swirl? Or something exploding and spraying who knows what burning liquid all over the place, as seen in this video...

Just ask the guy who was fighting the dumpster fire when that blew up on him, oh that's right he can't talk right now he died fighting the regular old dumpster fire

Use your gear especially when it's already on your back. save the tough image for the gym.

newsbuff likes this

Just another clear example that the general public doesn't care/doesn't know what we in FD/EMS/PD do on a daily basis. They really don't give a s*** if our staffing is cut, our apparatus is not replaced as needed, as long as their taxes don't go up, and it doesn't personally affect them. "They're not supposed to put water on that.." maybe they should have used snow shovels to clear the street and put the fire out at the same time.

helicopper likes this

I dont think the explosion was due to the oxygen. It happen just when the firefighters started adding water then a smaller one happened later on when they added water. It looks more like it was a reaction to burning metal

I dont think the explosion was due to the oxygen. It happen just when the firefighters started adding water then a smaller one happened later on when they added water. It looks more like it was a reaction to burning metal

I have to disagree. An explosive metal would more than likely display a whiter flame, what was seen here looks like an exploding cylinder, which me thinks is the main O2 tank. The smaller blasts were probably the portable oxygen tanks (or even the fire extinguisher that the rig should have been carrying).

Of course I can (and usually am) wrong.

Was this an FDNY ambulance?

I tend to agree the first main blast was an O2 tank letting go but I would say at least one of the little pop offs was some kind of metal or something water reactive the way it was a white hot kind of sparking. I am just glad no one got hurt.

Edited by Atv300

I thought I got a scoop on this video, and sent it in to Dave Statter this afternoon. His blog was covering the second Chicago LODD funeral today with a live video feed. So after the funeral (it really was a beautiful service) he updated his site, and right at the top was this video with the headline "MUST SEE VIDEO". I was "like wow" and checked the credits....."Firefighter Close Calls" had it up yesterday.....no scoop for me. Oh well. Anyway much more important than that, is no Brothers were killed or seriously injured at this fire.

Which leads me to ask, do any members out there have any SOPs from their departments regarding "Ambulance Fires"? I have to admit I've never seen this before; an ambulance fire that exploded. Never really thought about it much before either. The boneheads commenting on the video suggest it was oxygen that let go. Anybody agree with that?

We had a liquid oxygen fueled fire on my job a couple of decades ago. It was on the 2nd or 3rd floor of a 10 story Type 1 OMD that burned so hot it affected the concrete construction, and auto exposed up two floors. Very fortunate it only killed two people. Oxygen. Very healthy for patients....potentially deadly in a fire. Any thoughts on the subject?

No doubt in my mind.....That was an O2 tank......Wear all PPE including SCBA......Very lucky!

I am nobody's expert on burning stuff, but these come to mind: large portable batteries of various chemical make-ups, burning reacting drugs if it was an ALS unit, water hitting the main electric panel, the spare tire blowing (ambulances keep them in odd spots), aerosol spray can blowing, head-up strut on the stretcher...

When I worked in Ma, they had a brand new diesel burn- 1st model year diesel. Guess what did it? Driver adjusted his set and let the seat-adjust release snap into place -(remember the old ones slid left, not up like today's). When it snapped back, the rigid wire piece that pulled the teeth out of the gears on the other track of the seat popped out of its hole and hung down- right across the under-seat battery switch terminals!! It got hot and melted and fell into the carpeting under the driver seat. Total loss of unit.

Medic137 likes this

It is always a good idea to open the line from some distance and begin knocking the fire down with the reach of the stream....but you have to get right in there to get the fire out completely. You need to be able to hit the ceiling and break up the stream. As far as the SCBA goes, of course you should wear one. I usually don't and I'm not alone. HOWEVER, wearing one is the smart move and considering the size and involvement of the vehicle in this particular situation, I probobly would have worn a mask. This was clearly not a routine beater on fire. Vehicle fires are nasty. It isn't a little wood burning, it's a lot of nasty petroleum based plastics and other chemicals.

I have to disagree. An explosive metal would more than likely display a whiter flame, what was seen here looks like an exploding cylinder, which me thinks is the main O2 tank. The smaller blasts were probably the portable oxygen tanks (or even the fire extinguisher that the rig should have been carrying).

Of course I can (and usually am) wrong.

I gotta go with you here. Magnesium is what gives you that white hot flame and it's no explosion, just a brighter glow and shower of sparks. This was a brief and fierce increase in the fire's intensity and I would put my money on oxygen.

Was this an FDNY ambulance?

I don't believe so.

Gotta love the locals. A constant source of entertainment.

It is always a good idea to open the line from some distance and begin knocking the fire down with the reach of the stream....but you have to get right in there to get the fire out completely. You need to be able to hit the ceiling and break up the stream. As far as the SCBA goes, of course you should wear one.

Like I said, use the reach of the stream. There is nothing to be saved in a situation such as the one in the video. Stay back and soak the crap out of this pile of plastic & metal and don't approach it until it's been properly cooled down. I don't post on here unless I'm speaking from experience. My goal is to insure the safety of the Brothers and see them get home in one piece after the tour. Be careful ... there is NO reason to be aggressive when arriving at an incident such as the one depicted in the video.

Like I said, use the reach of the stream. There is nothing to be saved in a situation such as the one in the video. Stay back and soak the crap out of this pile of plastic & metal and don't approach it until it's been properly cooled down. I don't post on here unless I'm speaking from experience. My goal is to insure the safety of the Brothers and see them get home in one piece after the tour. Be careful ... there is NO reason to be aggressive when arriving at an incident such as the one depicted in the video.

I don't disagree. Certainly considering that this, clearly on arrival, was not a bread and butter vehicle fire. It also appears to be under and EL and that adds to the severity in terms of ventilation. I'm not suggesting aggressiveness, only that you can't typically douse a car fire completely without eventually getting close to the car.

I'll certainly add O2 tanks to my list of items to be wary of at vehicle fires. That, along with not standing in front of or behind the vehicle in the path of bumper shocks, ect...

I don't disagree. Certainly considering that this, clearly on arrival, was not a bread and butter vehicle fire. It also appears to be under and EL and that adds to the severity in terms of ventilation. I'm not suggesting aggressiveness, only that you can't typically douse a car fire completely without eventually getting close to the car.

I'll certainly add O2 tanks to my list of items to be wary of at vehicle fires. That, along with not standing in front of or behind the vehicle in the path of bumper shocks, ect...

10-4 Brother ... Stay safe.