Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

2011 Freightliner Day Cab New Design

11 posts in this topic

Looks like they are starting to put some effort into designing commercial trucks again......

2011 Freightliner.....I couldn't find the model though....

I could see this being an awesome chasis for the fire service...

post-11-0-25034600-1294697988.jpg

It's a cool looking rig. Why did they stop (or did they?) building the cab forward style. With the flat front and the cab in front of the wheels? That always seemed ideal to me, from a visibility stand-point.

It's a cool looking rig. Why did they stop (or did they?) building the cab forward style. With the flat front and the cab in front of the wheels? That always seemed ideal to me, from a visibility stand-point.

They're called "cab-overs". I don't know if you've ever listened to "Car Talk" on NPR, but I found a funny thread about whatever became of the cab-over:

http://action.publicbroadcasting.net/cartalk/posts/list/2146445.page

Lots of opinions, but safety gets my vote. The White Freightliner is the one I remember being most common on the Interstates. International Harvester had a distinctive retro/deco flair to the style of it's cab-over.....

In it's day, this was probably the most common "independent" and OTR Fleet.

post-1020-0-76477800-1295545614.jpg

Could make a nice tanker tractor

post-19218-0-34525200-1295542328.jpg

thats good and all but once empty and need to fill....how long does it take to fill....whats it turn around time?

thats good and all but once empty and need to fill....how long does it take to fill....whats it turn around time?

I have no idea. To be honest, I find the truck pretty amusing. The one thing I can say about the idea is that if you can't put the fire out with that much water, the house is lost and there is no need to refill. I can also see it being useful in dry areas with no municipal water supply, or areas where MA tankers aren't available.

Actually, a little research shows this about the truck http://www.kimbertonfire.org/apparatus.htm