Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R1SmokeEater

FDNY "Black Sunday" Bailout

9 posts in this topic

If you haven't had the chance to view the power point of that tragic day I am sure that it can be arranged, Gene gave the power point to us last year at Stewart FD and it was an educational and emotional 1 1/2 hrs. Being a close friend of Jeff Cool I know that he would be more than willing to tell his story. If you are planning a seminar and you are looking for guest speakers with a topic that should concern all of us nobody tells the story better than the individuals who survived that tragic day. Be safe!

When I was about to graduate proby school, they had Brendan and Gene come and show us the power point and talked to us for about 2 hours. You could have heard a pin drop while they were telling us their stories and showing us the different pictures and diagrams. Being in proby school you dont really understand how dangerous or how quick things can change on the fire floor. The talk they gave was very sobering and a good way to get our heads straight about what we might see someday on the job. I will never forget their talk and the expressions on their faces as they shared their stories with us.

Thanks for that interview w/ Jeff Cool, Res.Co. 3 (FDNY). Brings back bittersweet memories. I worked w/ his partner, Joe DiBernardo (who's dad was a Deputy Chief in the Bronx). I was never surprised to hear that Joey had his own personal rope w/ him that day. He was always training w/ our ropes at Squad 61, before he transferred to R.3. (we kidded him that he was one of "the rope fairies").His offer to lower Jeff first (cause he had a wife and kids) was typical of the type of firefighter Joe was.

The irony of that day was that years earlier we had personal bailout ropes, but then Comm. Tom VonEssen pulled them from service. He thought they were too exprensive and never used.

stay safe brothers!

We had the honor of Jeff Cool being a guest at our Westchester County Career Fire Chiefs graduation on December 15,2005. Jody Carrol brought him by a few days before, where we got to interface with him on a more personal level. He is a strong, awesome guy and his speech and being able to put a face with what happened to him will last a lifetime.

Great video. +1

When I was about to graduate proby school, they had Brendan and Gene come and show us the power point and talked to us for about 2 hours. You could have heard a pin drop while they were telling us their stories and showing us the different pictures and diagrams. Being in proby school you dont really understand how dangerous or how quick things can change on the fire floor. The talk they gave was very sobering and a good way to get our heads straight about what we might see someday on the job. I will never forget their talk and the expressions on their faces as they shared their stories with us.

I remember that day. What an eye opener! The two most striking points to take away were 1) That Gene is walking and talking after his horrific ordeal. 2) After going through all of that terror and pain, Brendan is back at work in the firehouse. What does that say about him and what does that say about our job?

Any fire department with a single building over 2 stories should outfit every member with a bail-out device. Men had to die or suffer irreparably for us to have these devices. Leather helmets, buff sirens and LED lights should all be forgotten until every members has a personal bailout device. That's the business end. After that, as in individual, KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

Edited by M' Ave
JohnnyOV likes this

Thanks "R1SmokeEater" for posting that video, and allowing us to remember and learn from that very sad day.

I think Every Firefighter in the Country should see that video. Black Sunday is a day many will not forget.

There's another thread about AEDs and CPR training for their members and it couldn't be more appropriate in reference to this even. Everyone who went out that window was treated by the firefighters on scene initially. Were it not for their initial interventions the outcome would certainly have been worse. Bail out ropes and self rescue training are extremely important, but just as important as what you do before poop hits the fan is what happens during and after.

Sad to say most of us are still waiting for a bailout system. I'd love for FFCool to give his power point to our city leaders.I'm sure after the next tragedy the first thing they will ask is "why didn't they have some kind of bailout system?"I"d also love for them to hear the audio from this fire,I"ve listened to it over and over again and i get chills hearing the panic is these firefighters voices.Maybe that would wake them up.

Edited by PHIL78