Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Kisco FD Tower Ladder 14 For Sale

26 posts in this topic

Not fully sure on the full specs but Im pretty sure its another sutphen with a front mounted bucket

Not fully sure on the full specs but Im pretty sure its another sutphen with a front mounted bucket

Ummmm, Sutphen does not make front mounted buckets (if you mean rear mounted aerial devices). The only make mid-ship mounted aerial ladders and tower ladders. Please check your information before you post something and make it sound like you don't know what your talking about. Not mocking you, just trying to make a point about geting the right information before you post.

SPH 100

Thanks for the info. The SPH 100 is an awesome setup. I'm really getting to like Sutphen, seems they have improved in quality in the past couple of years and offer a wide variety of midmount aerial options (I like Somers and Millwood's setup). A department near me has an SPH 100, and I photo profiled it a while back (note Quint 1 is now running a Truck 1 and an Engine company has been added to the house):

http://www.emtbravo.com/apparatusprofiles/georgetownquint1.php

And Mount Kisco's TL-14 is in great condition, the members have kept it really well maintained. It will make for a great addition for another department that needs a TL but doesn't have funds for a new one.

Ummmm, Sutphen does not make front mounted buckets (if you mean rear mounted aerial devices). The only make mid-ship mounted aerial ladders and tower ladders. Please check your information before you post something and make it sound like you don't know what your talking about. Not mocking you, just trying to make a point about geting the right information before you post.

Sorry, Dont no the whole cold hearted facts of each fire apparatus producer, im just goin by word of mouth that i hear around town, figure id share

Sorry, Dont no the whole cold hearted facts of each fire apparatus producer, im just goin by word of mouth that i hear around town, figure id share

The word from the horses mouth is that it is going to be a 100ft mid mount Sutphen tower ladder with delivery due within a few weeks/months. This is not a new development and has been discussed here for some time.

The better question is not what are they getting but why they felt the need to replace a very strong truck only a few years after they sold a brand new, barely used rear mount straight stick?

Edited by bvfdjc316

Thanks for the info. The SPH 100 is an awesome setup. I'm really getting to like Sutphen, seems they have improved in quality in the past couple of years and offer a wide variety of midmount aerial options

They have the absolute worst scrub area of any manufacture out there, then when you go with the raised cab option, you're reducing your entire scrub area in the front by hundreds of square feet more.

Their bucket makes rescue very difficult, unless you hit the side of the building dead on balls parallel to access the entry door (which I believe opens outwards anyways, but could be wrong). Unless they've changed the design of the bucket to have an angled bucket (not just bucket walls, but frame as well) and access doors that open inwards on angled corners, Sutphen and any other "box" bucket are not the greatest design.

Their water ways do not allow the bucket to drop down to the height of the roof, rather, you must drop a ladder down and then climb up. Roof's collapsing under you, you and your partner are now running back to the aerial to get off, but WHOOPS, only room for one guy at a time to FIRST climb UP then off the roof from. Sorry partner, thank the spec'ing committee.

Also you cannot put the bucket to the ground without extending almost 60 feet. How does that do any good at a strip mall fire, or other fire where you have limited access, and need to place a master stream from the bucket, up and into the ceiling of the store when you only have 40-50 feet to work with?

Sure you can put a lot of weight at the tip, but what good does that do if operationally you can't do much with it?

Edited by JohnnyOV
x635 likes this

Not a problem at all with sharing, just double check because sometimes you might not get the correct information. Always good to check with multiple sources if you can.

No one is going to know everything about a manufacturer..................except maybe Angelo!!!! LOL

The word from the horses mouth is that it is going to be a 100ft mid mount Sutphen tower ladder with delivery due within a few weeks/months. This is not a new development and has been discussed here for some time.

The better question is not what are they getting but why they felt the need to replace a very strong truck only a few years after they sold a brand new, barely used rear mount straight stick?

All though the truck does the job and looks great... it still has its problems and normal wear and tear it has recieved over the past 20 years. It has responded to a lot of calls over that time period and it is definitely time to replace this truck especially that it is the only truck responding to all of these call when the engines can alternate. I think it is the right choice to replace this and move on to a newer tower ladder. Especially when it struggles to get up all of the big hills in the town.;)

E106MKFD and IzzyEng4 like this

All though the truck does the job and looks great... it still has its problems and normal wear and tear it has recieved over the past 20 years. It has responded to a lot of calls over that time period and it is definitely time to replace this truck especially that it is the only truck responding to all of these call when the engines can alternate.

However, in many rural and poorer areas of this country, there are departments that would KILL to have that ladder! It's served Mount Kisco well, and I'm sure with some TLC, she has some life left in her.

JohhnyOV- the SPH100 has improved on many of those problems, as you can see in these photos:

http://www.emtbravo.com/apparatusprofiles/georgetownquint1.php

It fits the needs of some departments very well, like Syracuse that has used them exlusively for years, and for other departments, it doesn't work for. But I think the SPH100 is a big leap ahead for Sutphen.

JohnnyOV, I'm not a big fan of Sutphen either but it looks like their SPH100's bucket might allow for better access in and out of the bucket without the "step up" overhang. Here's the link to their website: http://www.sutphen.com/Truck.asp?truckid=1

Also with a mid-ship, you lose the scrub area over the cab but you gain a better lower angle over the sides, unlike you can do with a rear mount (I run a LTI 102' RM at work). Plus your positioning of the truck is better with a mid-mount as the turn table is "closer to you" when you drive. But your gonna have positives and negative with any style tower ladder, none is perfect. Also originally Sutphen's original platforms were designed primarily as a "water tower ladder" not a effective rescue style bucket as everything is designed for today. Almost every department though that runs a Sutphen tower ladder swears by them in my area. I think New Haven is on their thrid or Fourth Sutphen tower, plus they run a 75's ladder quint.

TL14 is 20 years old and has a lot of miles and also engine hours on it by looking at the "for sale" add. I also think it goes with what they were used too. From my understanding, Hooks really utilized TL14 more than their sticks (the Smeal and even the Seagrave before that). I guess it would be safe to say (correct me if I'm wrong Union Hooks guys) the stick were more of a spare in the past when you place the Sutphen tower ladder in service? Maybe the sticks didn't work out for their operations as they though they would and rather make sure they could get a new tower ladder instead since it has reached it's 20th year of service. I'm only speculating.

All I have to say as a member of the hooks the truck is coming in maybe friday night

Not a problem at all with sharing, just double check because sometimes you might not get the correct information. Always good to check with multiple sources if you can.

No one is going to know everything about a manufacturer..................except maybe Angelo!!!! LOL

Thanks Izzy you get a cookkie !

What does it even matter? The members in the forum are looking for specs and info on a new rig to ether consider specs for their next truck or just to see what's new riding around town. Though it may not be news to you it may be news to others. The selling of the last aerial may have had to do with the purchase of this new tower (which as stated the hooks use more frequently) but let's let a Hooks member set us straight. I think everyone else here is more interested in the specs.

Also to add, Hartford CT (like Syracuse and some other cities) uses Sutphen TL's exclusively. No straight sticks at all in their fleet.

TL-14 is the primary truck. They also had the rear mount, for other areas of the village and to supplement operations. Despite having some very high density and important buildings in their district (like Northern Westchester Hospital, Medical Complexes,Retail and Indsutrial facilities, and Senior Citizen multi story buidlings amongst others), and the manpower to man both trucks, the Village forced them to sell the rear mount if they wanted a new TL. When they had the old RM staight stick, I witnessed them put both into operation immediately upon arrival at a working fire. It was a benefit.

Seth, just to correct something in your last post. the village had nothing to do with us selling our stick. we own are own trucks and so we can let them go when we want. As a matter of fact, the new tower ladder will be in on Fri nite and will out of here in ten years. The smeal was nice but by selling it we put ourselves in a good financial place. who knows, you just might see a spare truck in the near future.

IzzyEng4 and Stiles like this

Seth, just to correct something in your last post. the village had nothing to do with us selling our stick. we own are own trucks and so we can let them go when we want. As a matter of fact, the new tower ladder will be in on Fri nite and will out of here in ten years. The smeal was nice but by selling it we put ourselves in a good financial place. who knows, you just might see a spare truck in the near future.

Thanks for the correction, I appreciate it. But doesn't tax money pay for the trucks? How is that distributed per company?

It's good you're in a good financial place, but there are some talented members of that company and a lot of reasons for MKFD to have two trucks, being the "hub" or Northern Westchester. Too bad you couldn't get some sort of grant to keep the Smeal. That's only my opinion though.

Seth, we contract to the village, each company gets a certain amount each year and we have to use it wisely

However, in many rural and poorer areas of this country, there are departments that would KILL to have that ladder! It's served Mount Kisco well, and I'm sure with some TLC, she has some life left in her.

Which are you talking about, the Tower for sale or the Ladder we got in New Fairfield? We LOVE that rig, and we were very happy to be able to get such a great truck at an incredible price, its worked wonders for us already, including working at a fire last night on the roof of a supermarket in the center of town. Thanks again Kisco!

Seth, we contract to the village, each company gets a certain amount each year and we have to use it wisely

Cool, thanks! I don't know why the funding question just occured to me, I just wondered how different companies were funded since a Village does things differently in NYS. Sorry to ask so many questions, but will it have a pump, tank, or hose? I think MKFD made an excellent investment, and can't wait to see photos!

Which are you talking about, the Tower for sale or the Ladder we got in New Fairfield?

And New Fairfield's old truck is now serving as the frontline ladder truck in Hartsdale.

Fair point, but can you blame us for picking up a 2 year rig for cheap when we were already starting to spec a new truck? And my understanding is that old NFVFD Truck 4 is only serving Hartsdale as a result of an MVA with the old Hartsdale truck, though that COULD be incorrect.

Fair point, but can you blame us for picking up a 2 year rig for cheap when we were already starting to spec a new truck? And my understanding is that old NFVFD Truck 4 is only serving Hartsdale as a result of an MVA with the old Hartsdale truck, though that COULD be incorrect.

I was just pointing out the cycle of life for some apparatus, and it's interesting how it happens sometimes. I think NFVFD got a heck of a deal with that MKFD Truck! And NKVFD's truck was so well maintained, it is able to serve as a temporary ladder truck in Hartsdale. I wasn't saying anything bad or negative, just found it cool.

incorrect. HFDs TL was a member of the lost generation of aerialscopes between FWD/Baker and Seagrave. From what I understand HFDs TL is OOS and NFVFD old straight stick is being used in its place. The TL is out at seagrave and being rebuilt/repaired/replaced, last time I checked no one was 100% on what its status was. The problem is the TL was not maintained to standards (i.e. Incorrect maintenance) or something to that nature and thus needed extensive repairs to return to service. From what I understand it is the last of this generation to be even considered in service.

incorrect.

While some of your facts are true regardinng many of the problems being attributed to it being built at the end of Baker's era, it was never incorrectly maintained by members of Hartsdale. It was messed up from delivery. No two built by Baker at that time are alike, and the electrical and hydraulic systems leave you scratching your head. Hartsdale's TL is at Seagrave to repair damage sustained in a collision, as well as to fix some other urgent items. This is being done to keep it in service for 3 to 4 more years, when Hartsdale can afford to replace or refurbish/rechasis TL-15. Despite it's many issues, TL-15 is a very strong truck, and has served Hartsdale very well. Hartsdale had dumped hundreds of thousands of dollars into repairing that truck, which was done at Campbell Supply in NJ, which used to be a Seagrave dealer for FDNY. Now that a new Cheif is in office, Hartsdale is once again working with the local Seagrave dealer, Excelsior Fire Apparatus and Hudson Valley Emergency Equipment. This relationship will benefit the current and the future TL-15's. Excelsior is the same dealer that brought you TL-15, the first-ever of it's kind Pelham Manor refurb, and Darien refurb. They will do the right thing for Hartsdale. Seagrave really stands for quality, and now that it's in Wisconsin, and with the salesperson assigned, it WILL NOT leave Seagrave unless it's a quality repair.

And now back on topic to Mount Kisco's ladder...