Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

Tarrytown Firehouse

27 posts in this topic

From what I understand, Consolidated Engine's house was demolished after structural defects were found in the building. The word that I have heard is that the village is looking to build a new firehouse for both Consolidated Engine and Washington Engine Co. somewhere closer to RT. 119 (White Plains/Tarrytown Road.... I'll ask around some more and see what I can come up with.

thank you becuase i know that for the past two years their E77 has been in that tin house thing

CM, Chris,

any questions u guys got about E-77. id b glad to answer them

heres a question why cant eng 77 and tower ladder 78 be housed in the same station on rt 119?

Reminds me of PC's South end a while back.

heres a question  why cant eng 77 and tower ladder 78 be housed in the same station on rt 119?

there were building plans just for that, but it was changed at the last minute when the new mayor and board of trustees took over this past spring.

seems to me that are smarter then that it only figures that one fire station has to be cheaper then 2 just seems that way to me.

heres a question  why cant eng 77 and tower ladder 78 be housed in the same station on rt 119?

heres your answer firecapt32,

among other reasons, the biggest ones are the money issue and the strategical placing of the firehouse. first, the money issue. tower ladder 78 is a massive massive truck lol, and ofcourse the ceiling must be very high to accomidate the apparatus. 77 obviously does not need this much head room and to build an entire 2 bay firehouse with the ceiliings as high as they need to be over both bays, it will be a lot of tax payer money.

second is the strategical placement of engine 77. where 77 is now and where it was originally on the south side of 119 is for a reason. this allows 77 to either go down sheldon to access the south end of the village, or go to 119 to service glenville wich is in our protection district. also there is another huge reason we need the fire house on the south side of 119: 10 guys who respond the apparatus 84% of the time (thats a real number) live on sheldon avenue and its side streets. moving the truck away from the men who respond it out 84% of the time doesnt make sense. i know what you are thinking firecapt32, 119 is right next to sheldon avenue, well that is true, however there is a long light at the top of medow street intersecting with 119 where the truck would be, this would turn our response time from 3 minutes to nearly 8 minutes. as a captain i am sure you know that a person trapped in a car (we carry the hurst tool on E-77) for 8 minutes may be life or death.

i hope you understand now why we are fighting so hard for our firehouse to be rebuilt where it belongs. any more questions, feel free to ask me. i have no problem with any curious fellow firefighter

heres an update for ya fellas,

the village board has began the design phase to build TL-78 a one bay fire house on 119.

i am not sure if you guys know where 77 is being housed right now (a tin can on the corner of medow street and sheldon avenue) well right across from that property there is a large wooded area containing some marsh land. the village is looking into possibly housing 77 there in a modest building.

ill keep u guys updated on information as soon as i get it

hey heres an idea!!!! how about a recuritment drive in the condos and aapts that are on rt 119 mabey you can get some new members in the company. Heres another thing I dont buy the money thing for one minuet. yes 78 is a big truck, cost a lot of money lets not make more mistrakes with our apparatus placement. will 77 drivers being that they live so close be trained on 78??

Both pieces of apparatus belong where the population of the south end is -and the fact of the matter is that more people live on 119 then sheldon ave.

They're looking to build a firehouse in a marsh? :wacko:

firecapt32,

id agree with you if tarrytown was a paid department, but its not and the simple fact of the matter is that our members our on sheldon avenue and it makes absolutly no sense to move the truck away from the membership. every year tarrytown does a recruitment/fund drive and yes the residents on 119 get these letters and are invited to come join. they havent been knocking down the doors to come and join. 177 white plains road and tallyrand are the only places people live on 119 that would be near the truck. it would take twice as long for us to get to even somewhere as close as 177 white plains road if the truck was on white plains road. ime not sure if u live around the area. where are you captain? (just curious)

the population of the south end is mainly from sheldon avenue-tarryhill-east sunnyside lane. thats where the majority of the residents are in the south end.

also the money thing: there is more to it but its funny how you say u dont buy it for a minute when this is a small town matter and small towns have small amounts of money.

there are 2 members of 77 that are currently being trained on TL 78 to answer that question.

comment back if u get a chance

ps. keep it friendly. it feels like u are attacking 77 a little bit when we havent done anything to anybody

They're looking to build a firehouse in a marsh? :wacko:

i agree with u steve, it sounds a little funny to put it near a marsh land. actually its to the left of the marsh land. it will mean cutting down trees but its not in the marsh. i dont like the idea either but its getting to the point where we have been in a trailor for 4 1/2 years and we want our firehouse back.

as soon as i hear something new, ill forward it to u

Just two cents from a guy from SHFD. Both new firehouses should be two bay houses capable of garaging TL78. In the event work needs to be done at any of the other stations in Tarrytown, you have a place to put the apparatus without storing it in the DPW garage, assuring that FD equipment is under the lock, key and supervison of the FD. As bad as the tin shacks that 77 and 78 are running out of can be, it's better than sharing with DPW.

Edited by engine235

Just two cents from a guy from SHFD. Both new firehouses should be two bay houses capable of garaging TL78. In the event work needs to be done at any of the other stations in Tarrytown, you have a place to put the apparatus without storing it in the DPW garage, assuring that FD equipment is under the lock, key and supervison of the FD. As bad as the tin shacks that 77 and 78 are running out of can be, it's better than sharing with DPW.

not a bad idea, but considering the cost factors of building 2 double bay fire houses would have the mayor calling us insane. the "tin shack" lol that 77 is in right now is suposed to be kept to house fireboat 5 during the winter. i guess if need be and 77's quarters needed repair, the boat could be moved to the dpw and 77 could stay in the old tin shack. utility 61 is going to be stored in washington engines hq after they get their new house.

u had a pretty good idea: possibly we could keep the tin shed that TL 78 is in right now in case its new buildings need repair. ill ask chief scogna about it. i never really thought about it b4 to be honest

Dave not atacking any one please believe me on that its the interest of fire service.

where are the drivers of 78?? dont they live around the 78 station?? they are moving their company apx 2 1/2 miles form its present location.

the money part heres my thought -the village allowed them to buy a fire truck worth 980k so money shouldnt be a problem unless someone over spent on the apparatus- and dont tell me that 980k is standard for a piece of firefighting equipment.

Im always interested in your opion and will keep it on a professional level I mean no disrepect to any firefighter that gives his time and energy to protect the public-- just remember that its the public we are protecting not our egos.

Think of public expenditure of valuable tax dollars. Double up the companies and maximize it's benefits. Cross train and become certified in the operation of all apparatus. If members need to change companies to accomplish efficiency of operation, so be it.

Edited by dadbo46

Dave  not atacking any one  please believe me on that its the interest of  fire service.

where are the  drivers of 78??  dont they live around  the 78 station?? they are moving their company apx 2 1/2 miles form its present location.

the money  part  heres my thought -the village allowed them to buy a fire truck worth 980k  so money shouldnt be a problem  unless  someone over spent on the apparatus- and  dont tell me that 980k is standard for a piece of firefighting equipment.

Im always interested in your opion and will keep it on a professional level I mean no disrepect to any firefighter that gives his time and energy to protect the public-- just remember that its the public we are protecting  not our egos.

firecapt,

i appreciate your interest in this matter (seriously).

there are not a lot of drivers on 78. if we had an alarm right now, odds are a driver from 77 or a driver from 79 would drive E78. Last night we had a reported car fire on 87 north bound and a driver from 77 drove 78 so they can get out.

its my opinion that the near 1 million dollar TL was bought on a chiefs greed with grant money and village money that shouldve been put towards other things. this chief designed the truck himself, and is personally overseeing everything. certainly 980k is not standard for a single piece of apparatus, i agree with u. my interest to be honest is not with TL78, it is soley with my company E77 who still is without a firehouse 4 1/2 years later. i dont agree with any company being put on 119 because it severly hinders response time. you said it perfectly "just remember that its the pulic we are protecting not our egos" and i agree with u. however moving a truck away from the majority of the public in the south end is not good for the public. there is ego involved, but our main concern still is and always will b the saftey of the residents.

comment back if u can. your posts are interesting and i am curious about your opinions

is the new 78 in service?? as both the ladder and pumper?? I hope so. Dont take this the wrong way but I would nt want to be the driver of the new 78 if he wasent trained to use it as a ladder and/or a pumper. how would you explain to some one "ohh I can only use the pump so please stay on the roof while we wait for the other ladder to arrive" ,theres not enough ink in a pen to fill out the reports for that one

heres eye opener fore you go check and see if Tarrytown has gotten any grants in the last few years. dont waste your time the answer is no at least I cant find any grants given to the Tarrytown F.D. . Dave you seem like a smart person. look at the big picture of the department and let me know what you really see out there .

is the new 78 in service?? as both the ladder and pumper?? I hope so. Dont take this the wrong way but I would nt want to be the driver of the new 78 if he wasent trained to use it as a ladder and/or a pumper. how would you explain to some one "ohh I can only use the pump so please stay on the roof while we wait for the other ladder to arrive" ,theres not enough ink in a pen to fill out the reports for that one

heres an eye opener for you go check and see if Tarrytown has gotten any grants in the last few years. dont waste your time the answer is no, at least I cant find any grants given to the Tarrytown F.D. . Dave you seem like a smart person. look at the big picture of the department and let me know what you really see out there .

I aggree with you 77 should have a home and the sooner the better. IM sure the chief was only one vote on a truck committee so other on 78 must have had a voice in the matter. looking foward to contuining this

is the new 78 in service?? as both the ladder and pumper??  I hope so. Dont take this the wrong way  but I would nt want to be the driver of the new 78 if he wasent trained to use it as a ladder and/or a pumper.  how would you explain to some one "ohh I can only use the pump so please stay on the roof while we wait for  the other ladder to arrive" ,theres not enough ink in a pen to fill out the reports for that one

heres an eye opener  for you go check and see if Tarrytown has gotten any grants in the last few years.  dont waste your time the answer is no, at least I cant find any grants given to the Tarrytown F.D. . Dave you seem like a smart person. look at the big picture of the department and let me know  what you really see out there .

I aggree with you  77 should have a home and the sooner the better. IM sure the chief was only one vote on a truck committee  so other on 78 must have had a voice in the matter.  looking foward to contuining this

the new 78 is not in service yet, but when it does it will be acting as a ladder and a pumper with 300 gallons of water on board. tomoro night captain mike coffee is having a dual drill with E-76 on ladder and pump operations. the wetdown for it is November 19th (feel free to stop down and see the truck. i am working that day so i cant say see u there but definatly feel free to stop down. the wet down is on west main street at the senior center.)

lol its funny u mention the grants because we recently had our monthly meeting and we have a new grant man "sam the grant man" who is looking into grants for us.

i am sure you have heard there is a lot of things going on in tarrytown and its pretty terrible. it used to be all 6 companies being 1 and now its 6 companies being 6. a lot of disputes with the chief and most recently a mandatory psysical from the NFPA standard wich is weird because we follow the OSHA standards (comment on that if u know anything involving requirements for active members. i know you are involved in training and such. so if u know about what the minimum standards on psyicals are for active members according to OSHA let me know)

also upcoming on November 20th at 7am-1or2 consolidated engines annual iggy serina memorial breakfast. its at riverside hose companies quarters on franklin street. come down and have some breakfast on E-77. bring your guys too, the more the merrier

Edited by DaveTFD

lets see where to begin on this subject. Fires physicals are not new been around a very long time. Every firefighter must have one 29 CFR 1910.156 fire brigade standards. If you go to a haz mat call and we all do(Car leaking gas is hazmat) 29CFR1910.120. physicals must include a pulmanory function test. there is also a standard for a mask fit test if you wear a SCBA. thats only a start. Departments must have SOP's or SOG's. I do hope sam the grant man can get you some money--belive me theres a lot of it out there.

I saw the truck out at the FDIC thanks for the invite I just might be there.

As i have said before 77 deserves a new home and it should have happened a long time ago 4 yeaars is too long to wait for a fire station. sounds like the elected officials were not doing a great job. how are the new Officials doing??

lets see where to begin on this subject. Fires physicals are not new been around a very long time. Every firefighter must have one 29 CFR 1910.156 fire brigade standards. If you go to a haz mat call and we all do(Car leaking gas is hazmat) 29CFR1910.120. physicals must include a pulmanory function test. there is also a standard for a mask fit test if you wear a SCBA. thats only  a start. Departments must have SOP's or SOG's. I do hope sam the grant man can get you  some money--belive me theres a lot of it out there.

I saw the truck out at the FDIC thanks for the invite I just might be there.

As i have said before 77 deserves a new home and it should have happened a long time ago 4 yeaars is too long to wait for a fire station.  sounds like the elected officials were not doing a great job. how are the new Officials  doing??

thanks for your response on the psyical's standards. ime actually going to forward your post to the chief and my company captain if its ok with you.

the new elected officials are giving us a run around with the whole thing but last night at the village board meeting they said that the study for the woods/wetlands across the street from the temp fire house is buildable on and they are hireing an architect to draw plans for a firehouse there. so i guess some progress is being made. ime sure u heard about the protest from the neighbors that do not want the firehouse where it was before. some of them are actually moveing, which is ok with me. a few weeks ago 1 of them asked me if i thought i was a better village resident then they were because i volunteered and i gave them a truthful answer and said yes. they dident like that very much. so i guess that supports their reasons for moving.

just a question on the psyicals: we had an OSHA survey given to us that was suposed to evaluate us for the need of a full psyiscal assessment. after we passed that (and we did except for people who had heart attacks and strokes or any major medical problem) we took a SCBA fit test and that was suposed to be the standards for OSHA for us to be active firefighters. our SOG's say that we follow OSHA standards. so have we followed OSHA standard enough to be considered active firefighters? post back when u can

Dave you can pass any thing you want on to Chief Lennox or Chief Scogna. Sorry Chief I hope I spelled it right.

Your Department should be moving foward and toward haveing all firefighters complete a physical. The standards are out there you just have to go find them. Will you lose some of your people as interior firefighters mabey but isnt that better then losing them in a fire. they can always be "scene support operations" that is actualy part of firefighter 1 given by the county and the State and can be a stand alone course for any department.

There is a form that has to be fiilled out prior to any firefighter taking a firefighter 1 State or County course you should look at it. It tells you just what you need to know.

Im sure you want whats best for you and whats best for the community, after all thats why your a memebr of the department in the first place.

Your neighbors need to be brought up to date and let them see where the company is headed .

Although I still believe the 2 bay on 119 is best room for the future , what if TVAC needs to put another ambulance on the south end.

If you need me you know where to find me.

hey  heres an idea!!!!  how about a recuritment drive in the condos and aapts  that are on rt 119 mabey you can get some new members in the company. Heres another thing I  dont buy the money thing for one minuet.  yes 78 is a big truck, cost a lot of money lets not make more mistrakes with our apparatus placement. will 77 drivers being that they live so close be trained on 78??

Both pieces of apparatus belong where the population of the south end is -and the fact of the matter is that more people live on 119 then sheldon ave.

MAYBE JUST ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT

firecapt,

i appreciate your interest in this matter (seriously).

there are not a lot of drivers on 78. if we had an alarm right now, odds are a driver from 77 or a driver from 79 would drive E78. Last night we had a reported car fire on 87 north bound and a driver from 77 drove 78 so they can get out.

its my opinion that the near 1 million dollar TL was bought on a chiefs greed with grant money and village money that shouldve been put towards other things. this chief designed the truck himself, and is personally overseeing everything. certainly 980k is not standard for a single piece of apparatus, i agree with u. my interest to be honest is not with TL78, it is soley with my company E77 who still is without a firehouse 4 1/2 years later. i dont agree with any company being put on 119 because it severly hinders response time. you said it perfectly "just remember that its the pulic we are protecting not our egos" and i agree with u. however moving a truck away from the majority of the public in the south end is not good for the public. there is ego involved, but our main concern still is and always will b the saftey of the residents.

comment back if u can. your posts are interesting and i am curious about your opinions

1 of 2 thins happened here. Either you are lying through your teeth or you just have no clue. THere was a reported car fire on 87 North on 11/4 and it was driven by the company's asst. chief driver jim kovacs. ANd your comment about Eng 77 drivers is laughable. Tell me the last time a member of 77 drove that truck and i'll buy you a steak dinner. FYI Scott Weaver is the only 79 driver on 78's list. He rarely drivers so again your facts are our in Left Field. WOrry about your company's response because they have more 10-100's this month then any company in thge VIllage. Think people don't track it ? THey do. Wise up already because you have no clue whatsoever !!!!