Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Stat-Flight photo from the early days.

9 posts in this topic

"Westchester County Stat-Flight " from the early days. Photo by TR54 at the Kensico Dam plaza for display to the public.

post-23-0-32607000-1298433398.jpg

FDNY 10-75 likes this

Great picture. Any idea of the year?

1993 or so

Old one I have of both birds on the Med Center landing pad, before they put one up in Orange county.

post-17661-0-97692900-1299012656.jpg

I remember this bird very well. They almost landed on top of an accident scene on the Bronx River Parkway! We had a guy with a fractured spine who flipped his BMW over, smushed the roof down so there was only about 6 inches where we could see in the car from ALL sides. Amazingly the car came to a stop, right side up, taking out a light pole and the car balanced itself perfectly on top of the 3 foot high base of the light pole. It looked like a smashed car trophy! lol

The medic called for Stat-flight, we cut off the roof and long-boarded the guy. The bird shows up and instead of going for the wide open area about 75 yards away where we had the cones set up with hand-lights in them, and an engine with a line stretched, they decided to land about 20 feet from the car. Have you ever seen an oxygen bag actually roll away up the parkway in the prop-wash?

I remember looking up at the belly of the chopper and thinking "so this is what Vic Morrow saw in his last moment" when he was killed filming his last scene for "The Twilight Zone."

Lastly, the victim was an insurance salesman and had about three thousand sheets of paper/insurance forms in the passenger compartment. The prop-wash got rid of that paperwork as well!

Oh brother.....what a night....

Edit: Actually I think the medic used the K.E.D, that part is foggy, I was too busy looking up :unsure: .....

Edited by efdcapt115

A KED used in westchester county?! Now there is a news worthy story!

Note the Empress logo on the helicopter......

What a difference a few year makes ! A few actions shots of Stat Flight from the past 5 years.

DSC_7348.jpg

DSC_4790.jpg

At the time of that pic and your encounter with the prop wash, most of the STAT pilots were Vietnam Vets, used to landing in tight places. VERY tight places. Always amazed me the control and the precision they developed. You can always tell the natural pilots, the machine becomes part of them.

The first pic posted by Rockland Fires is the second BK Stat flew, started out as N202HN, then after a refurb became N118NY. Both were great machines and very easy to work in.