Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dadbo46

The New Police Siren: You'll Feel It Coming

9 posts in this topic

From the 2/26/11 NY Times:

The New Police Siren: You’ll Feel It Coming

By ARIEL KAMINER

Joe Bader tried setting the two tones of his invention four notes apart on the musical scale, but the result sounded like music, not a siren. Same thing when he played around with a five-note interval. But when he set the two tones apart by two octaves and gave the siren a test run outside the Florida Highway Patrol headquarters in Tallahassee, the effect was so attention-grabbing that people came streaming out of the building to see what the strange sound, with its unfamiliar vibrations, could possibly be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/27/nyregion/27critic.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha29

It's a very cool siren! The Federal Signal Rumbler and The Whelen Howler, both low frequency sirens, have become very popular. It is only a matter of time before it finds it's way to fire apparatus. I know some chief cars already have it installed. However, the idea is not "New", the NYPD has been using it for 2-3 years now.

Sounds like a combination of the current Federal Siren and an Industrial Hamilton Beach Blender. But, with the lower frequencies and bass rumble, it will no doubt get the attention of drivers who are listening to "Heavy Bass" and "Loud" music in their cars. Imagine if the Fire Department goes with it, combining it with a Loud Air Horn? It could literally lift a car off the road.

Actually both of these sirens have been out for a couple years now and have had very impressive results. Driver's who were in the testing phase of development liked the fact they "felt it" way before it police car was right on top of them. With cars built today with so much sound quieting materials, this siren makes a unit more noticeable.

What is new is that these are going fleet wide from now on. All new RMPs will have a low frequency siren.

Is it true the Brooklyn RMPs are getting a model that also belts out Jay-Z...

Kidding aside; it sounds like a definite safety improvement. Good move NYPD.

firedude likes this

Ossinings car 2331 has this installed on it, i have heard it from just standing around but not actually driving with the music up and windows closed as they say is supposed to get your attention

Hartford fire has them on the district cars and I will tell ya I they work pretty good. I felt it in my old pickup that vibrated from the exhaust I had on it.