Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJMedic

Bill Would Ban Photos At Accident Scenes

12 posts in this topic

Bill Would Ban Photos At Accident Scenes

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/03/04/bill-would-ban-photos-at-accident-scenes/

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WBBM) – A state lawmaker doesn’t want drivers to stop and take pictures or videos of vehicle accidents.

As WBBM Newsradio 780’s Alex Degman reports, a measure to ban that practice has passed an Illinois House committee.

The bill’s sponsor, state Rep. Tom Holbrook (D-Belleville), says amateur photographers often get in the way of emergency personnel.

“Putting your cell phone over the firemen’s shoulders as he’s using the jaws of life, maybe to get your grandmother of the front seat of her car while she’s bleeding,” Holbrook said. “You never know with these things. These are horrendous situations for individuals.”

Holbrook says accident victims would still be able to take pictures for insurance purposes.

But the bill says no person may use a wireless device within 500 feet of an accident, except for specified purposes.

But, according to just this article, it bans the use of all mobile devices (ie. cell phones) within 500 feet of an accident. So if someone is walking down the sidewalk and gets within 500 feet of an accident...

I also don't think this will stand up constitutionally. If the Supreme Court ruled that free speech allows protesting at military funerals and subjecting military families to that kind of pain, it would be hard for them to say photographing an accident scene causes more pain.

FFBlaser and abaduck like this

I was amazed at an accident scene the other day, 1 out of every 5 cars had a cell phone out the window taking either pictures or video with no one paying attention to the road. Some guy was hanging out his window, both hands off the wheel stabilizing a camera, and almost took the tow truck out. People are gonna take pictures regardless of whether there is a law or not... It's like talking on your phone while driving. Everyone is still going to do it.

I would like to know what the specific purposes are. Sounds quite open ended to me.

I would like to know what the specific purposes are. Sounds quite open ended to me.

Most likely to avoid the common trend of responders and bystanders posting such pictures and videos on social networking sites.

It sounds like this bill would address cell phone cameras, which I feel has gotten out of control,and, they are lumping everyone in the same batch.

Unfortunetly, those who photograph incidents as a hobby and profesionally and are well respected in their areas (Mike Messar, Bill Johnson, JT Camp, firedude, etc) would be affected by this "law". I love digital photography, but in a way, everyone having a camera is destroying it for the true photographers.

They need to seperate "amateur photographer" and idiot with a cell phone.

x635 , I absolutely agree with you. You have true professionals with a camera as you listed just a few. And yet it is the everyday John Smith with a cell phone who is ruining the artistry that these professionals are capturing. I do agree that it is disrespectful and wrong to be taking photos of individuals (i.e. patients faces, and maybe at an MVA showing licence plate numbers). But beyond that, you can never control every person on every scene, without having a full 15ft tall curtain draiped around it. So, I think rather than abolishing photography, it should just be more restricted. And it can not be up to the OIC to control that. He has enough to worry about. So who is going to enforce it??

its a stupid bill. things must be in good shape in that state, since they're dealing with this crap.

This will go down in flames in the courts. There are already laws on the books regarding anyone interfering with operations wether they be photogs, oglers, or just plain PITA's. Plain sight protection has been afforded to photogs over and over again including looking into private property and people's homes.