Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Elmsford , NY Fire Company - Past Quad added Quint 2 photo

17 posts in this topic

Old Photos of the Retired Elmsford Fire Company Oren / International 750 GPM - 300 gallon Quad.

post-23-0-26686400-1299946814.jpg

post-23-0-50427100-1299946525.jpg

post-23-0-97323300-1299946507.jpg

Alpinerunner likes this

Shame it's being left to rot like this. Hope someone tries to acquire it and give it a good home in its retirement.

x635 likes this

Shame it's being left to rot like this. Hope someone tries to acquire it and give it a good home in its retirement.

Actually I should have mentioned these pictures were taken several years ago. The fate of the old Quad was decided soon after the time of these pictures.

Actually I should have mentioned these pictures were taken several years ago. The fate of the old Quad was decided soon after the time of these pictures.

What was the fate of my favorite truck???

I remember going to Brookfield and grabbing that Aerodynic from an old FDNY engine and mounting it to the bumper. It added a lot more visibility. Mind you, the Twin Sonic on the roof was replaced with a Whalen full-size strobe bar back in the day.

For us new guys.... I'm guessing a Quad is like a quint, just without the aerial?

For us new guys.... I'm guessing a Quad is like a quint, just without the aerial?

That is correct.... Although technically you're not precluded from having an aerial on a Quad... You could could take a "typical" Quint and if it doesn't carry supply hose... well, you've got a Quad... But traditionally a Quad doesn't have an aerial.

That is correct. A quad has a (1) pump, (2) a water tank, (3) carries hose, and (4) a full compliment of ground ladders. To make a quint, an elevated aerial ladder device is added to the mix.

Quads were very popular from the time of motorization to about the early 1950s since many smaller departments really didn't have the need for an aerial ladder. Before steel aerial ladders were made, practically all aerial ladder trucks were tractor drawn, with a few straight framed aerial ladder trucks in the mix. Aerials prior to the invention of steel aerial devices in the 1930s were made of wood and only had two sections (sometimes but very very rarely three). Quads trace their origins to the old horse drawn city-service ladder trucks equipped with chemical booster equipment. So with motorization, departments that needed a good "ladder truck" and wanted to combine the rig with a pumper, would purchase a quad.

So with that said, just to go a little further for the understanding of the terms, a triple combination pumper back in the days of early motorized fire engines and trucks comprised of three elements, a pump, a set of chemical booster equipment or a booster water tank and carried hose. Prior to motorization, pumpers (steamers and early horse drawn gas pumpers) were separate units from hand drawn and horse drawn hose wagon, carts and booster carts (or the latter two could be combined in a horse drawn unit).

dougeng41 and Alpinerunner like this

What was it's fate? Was it scrapped?

That is correct. A quad has a (1) pump, (2) a water tank, (3) carries hose, and (4) a full compliment of ground ladders. To make a quint, an elevated aerial ladder device is added to the mix.

Quads were very popular from the time of motorization to about the early 1950s since many smaller departments really didn't have the need for an aerial ladder. Before steel aerial ladders were made, practically all aerial ladder trucks were tractor drawn, with a few straight framed aerial ladder trucks in the mix. Aerials prior to the invention of steel aerial devices in the 1930s were made of wood and only had two sections (sometimes but very very rarely three). Quads trace their origins to the old horse drawn city-service ladder trucks equipped with chemical booster equipment. So with motorization, departments that needed a good "ladder truck" and wanted to combine the rig with a pumper, would purchase a quad.

So with that said, just to go a little further for the understanding of the terms, a triple combination pumper back in the days of early motorized fire engines and trucks comprised of three elements, a pump, a set of chemical booster equipment or a booster water tank and carried hose. Prior to motorization, pumpers (steamers and early horse drawn gas pumpers) were separate units from hand drawn and horse drawn hose wagon, carts and booster carts (or the latter two could be combined in a horse drawn unit).

Are you bored at work today!

Are you bored at work today!

Nah, home, GF was working so I had nothing to occupy my time!!! :D

The original Oren Quad, March 4, 1962

Seen in the background is an early Chevrolet Suburban which served as Elmsford's first ambulance, also pictured partially out of frame on right is the 1961 Pontiac ambulance that took over.

Elmsford Quad Serial No. 750A.1563 ---Date Jan.1957 --- By Oren - Model 1600.R.Q.750

post-23-0-36737500-1300395546.jpg

What was the fate of my favorite truck???

I am hearing from several people the old Quad 2 ended up at Brookfield Auto Wrekers for parts.

The Quad was originally a 1957 Oren. It was refurbished, fitted with an International cab along with a diesel powered motor and automatic transmission. After several years of continued service the truck was at the Westchester County fire training center. It returned to the village but remained out of service due the Elmsford Fire Company having newer apparatus.

Elmsford NY Quint 2 seen in 1977 at the line up for a local parade.

post-23-0-42161700-1301069016.jpg

Quint 2

So you all understand Quad stands for 4 things in any order. There was a Quad 1 from Fairview FD that had an aerial ladder but no booster tank. So the answer is yes a Quad can have an Aerial Ladder. Quad 2 was the first rig I was qualified on back in 1989. My Grandfather actually drove the original Quad from Roenoke to Elmsford with John O'keefe in 1957. Some strange things about the Quad was it had a heated in the cab but had no doors or a roof. A Convest roof was added late in the mid 70's to protect from rain and snow. The truck also was the first rig in Elmsford to have mobile 2-way radio on our village band. The truck was also came with a automatic sand system ( 2 shoots in front of the rear tires. The driver could hit a button from the cab and sand would come out of the shoots. In the Early 80's the Quad was sent to to Rockland ( I can't think of the name of the company right now ) for about a year to be Refurbuisted. Getting a new cab, electrical system, Air brakes, and a change in color( Lime green ) to match Quint 2. But at that time there was only talk of making it an automatic But that never happened the Quad stayed a five speed

post-443-0-90873600-1301182827.jpg

post-443-0-71072800-1301182845.jpg

the first picture is from Elmsford County Convention parade and our 75 Annivsary Parade in 1981 just before the truck went to Ruscon to be restored. The second picture is from back when I was Captain at the County Convention Parade in Ardsley In 1998 I believe. Our Quad also had a 50ft Bangor Ladder orginally wood later to be changed to Aluminuim.