Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dragonrescue

Japan: Nuclear Crisis - Power Plant Emergencies

10 posts in this topic

This post is not intended to make everyone apprehensive, but there are so many naive people that think the radiation leak will be limited to Japan. Granted, they will be effected the most but this is a long term global event. The vapors mix with the clouds and fall as rain all over, contaminating water and the food chain. The smallest amount of radiation causes health issues. Remember, it was safe to breath the air at ground zero, NOT! The world really needs to be educated!

I really think any radiation that makes it's way to the united states will likely be negligible and far too dilute. The accident at chernobyl was far, far worse than this (at this juncture at least) and actually propelled nuclear fuel and fission products far into the atmosphere....what made it's way here, while detectable, never really amounted to much. As long as the reactor vessels hold up (apparently there may be some leakage or a breach at #2) the melted corium will remain intact and confined to it's respective vessel and pose little risk to the general public. The spent fuel pools are a different story and are a bit more concerning...but again we just don't know all that much.

I think everyone is concerned and its good to stay on top of things. But, let's not stir up fears prematurely. There is no reason to go out and get potassium iodine pills and cover ourselves in lead. It's a delicate situation, but not out of the realm of being dealt with. Aside from that, the information available to the public is limited. Flying gives you 5x you're normal daily dose of radiation....radiographs & CT scans give you far more (~months dose or so)...should we stop flying and should MDs stop ordering these tests?

This post is not intended to make everyone apprehensive, but there are so many naive people that think the radiation leak will be limited to Japan. Granted, they will be effected the most but this is a long term global event. The vapors mix with the clouds and fall as rain all over, contaminating water and the food chain. The smallest amount of radiation causes health issues. Remember, it was safe to breath the air at ground zero, NOT! The world really needs to be educated!

Oh without a doubt the entire world will be exposed to some sort of increased level of atmospheric radiation thanks to this event. The question now is how much and for how long? The answers to these questions will determine what level of exposure we are dealing with, we know already that it is bad enough in Japan to give radiation sickness to dozens of workers and contaminate two US Navy ships out at sea. As you said, no radiation is safe, the key determination for danger is the exposure. Part of my problem with the reporting of this crisis is they say it is x above normal or they found y levels above normal but they are not giving context or actual figures. I think I would feel more secure in my safety if I knew the exact levels so I could actually see how bad the problem is and how it might affect us. I would not worry about it contaminating water or the food chain, for the amount that could/is going into the atmosphere, it will obvious cycle but it will also decrease in concentration as it spreads across the entire globe. Obviously the levels will be highest around the plant but will they be above background concentration values half way across the world is a completely different question. It should be noted that in your existence is much more radioactive than you think, from your cell phone, to your basement, to the bricks in your home/office, to your drinking water etc etc etc all contain radioactive isotopes in different forms and concentrations all with various health effects. Depending on the scale of the disaster when it is all said and done the risk to most people will most likely be very minimal when compared potentially to say the Radon found in your basement which eventual decays to Pb in your lungs.

The Ionizing Radiation Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1096

"Unrestricted areas" for ionizing radiation are areas where even if an employee were continuously present in the area (1) the dose received in any one hour could not exceed two millirems, or (2) the dose received in any seven consecutive days could not exceed 100 millirems. "Unrestricted areas" for airborne radioactive materials are areas where concentrations do not exceed the limits specified in Table 2 of Appendix B to 10 CFR 20. The concentrations may be averaged over a period not greater than one year.

Current Reading in Tokyo: 0.807 microsieverts/hour

1 sievert (Sv) = 100 rem (rem)

1 millisievert (mSv) = 100 millirem (mrem)

1 microsievert (µSv) = 100 microrem (µrem)

For more info on Table 2 see the NRC.gov site:

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part020/appb/

Edited by bvfdjc316

If the melt down hits the water table below Japan there could be an explosion which will cause major radiation into the atmosphere. Heard the US Gov't is sending former NJ Gov. Christine Todd Whitman over there. Isn't she the one who said its ok to breath the air at ground zero?

Your post doesn't make me apprehensive at all.

As of this moment, there is no proof or evidence at all that a "meltdown" has occurred in Japan. There are certainly quake-damaged fuel assemblies, and some RCS has boiled off and carried aloft some miniscule traces of fission products. There was a huge amount of radiation released locally when the fuel was uncovered, but that has since diminished. The main focus right now is getting the cooling restored and stablizing the coolant levels. This will eliminate the hydrogen threat, which is what did most of the damage, and provide shielding so that further repairs can take place.

This accident is much more severe than Three Mile Island, but is not even close to Chernobyl.

This is still a developing event, and I am not surprised that the media is doing its level best to whip up an Armageddon scenario. So far, it doesn't look like the American public is taking the bait. If you want real "news" about what's going on with this, go to the ANS, IAEA, or NEI websites. By far the biggest life threats to the Japanese people are hunger, lack of potable water, lack of sanitation, disease, and exposure to the elements, not radiation. Let's not lose focus because of screaming headlines from "news" agencies.

"Unrestricted areas" for ionizing radiation are areas where even if an employee were continuously present in the area (1) the dose received in any one hour could not exceed two millirems, or (2) the dose received in any seven consecutive days could not exceed 100 millirems. "Unrestricted areas" for airborne radioactive materials are areas where concentrations do not exceed the limits specified in Table 2 of Appendix B to 10 CFR 20. The concentrations may be averaged over a period not greater than one year.

Current Reading in Tokyo: 0.807 microsieverts/hour

1 sievert (Sv) = 100 rem (rem)

1 millisievert (mSv) = 100 millirem (mrem)

1 microsievert (µSv) = 100 microrem (µrem)

For more info on Table 2 see the NRC.gov site:

http://www.nrc.gov/r...r/part020/appb/

So what is the interpretation, from what I see a reading of less than 1 microsievert per hour is less than 100 microrem. IIRC micro is 10 times smaller than milli. So if the safe limit is 2 millirem/per hour, the current reading in Toyko is well below the safe limit.

So what is the interpretation, from what I see a reading of less than 1 microsievert per hour is less than 100 microrem. IIRC micro is 10 times smaller than milli. So if the safe limit is 2 millirem/per hour, the current reading in Toyko is well below the safe limit.

You are reading it correctly.

1. There's no evidence a full meltdown has happened or is likely. I don't think it's likely.

2. Radiation is a lesser evil than many others: it can be easily detected, and the precautions are well-known; time, distance, shielding.

3. I think it's well-nigh certain that there are many first responders displaying exceptional courage in Japan at this very moment; kudos to them.

Mike

All OSHA standards are based on a healthy adult in a workpalce (meaning they are exposed no more than 40 hours/week 50 weeks/year for 30 years) and at the end of each shift they leave the potentially contaminated area. We must consider that persons near this accident include those who may have previous medical conditions, are children or infants, are pregnant, etc. For them levels may need to be much lower, but the standard considers exposure everyday for 30 years, so they are lower than an emergency dose.