Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FDNYDCHI

Non-Official Use of Official Vehicles

34 posts in this topic

LETS FACE IT, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ABUSES. SINCE THE ECONOMY HAS TANKED EVERYONE CONNECTED WITH GOVERNMENTAL OPERATIONS IS UNDER THE MICROSCOPE.

I SEE THE SAME YONKERS DPW VEHICLE GOING NORTH ON THE TACONIC PARKWAY EVERY DAY AROUND 4PM, WHAT KIND OF SCAM DOES THIS GUY HAVE GOING ON?

THE COMMISSIONER OF PUBLIC WORKS FOR THE TOWN OF NEW CASTLE HAS A TAKE HOME CAR, HE LIVES ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HUDSON. WHY MUST WE AS TAXPAYERS FUND HIS TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM WORK MONDAY THRU FRIDAY?

I HAVE SEEN A SCARSDALE DPW VEHICLE PLOWING OUT A DRIVEWAY IN YORKTOWN AN OBVIOUS CASE OF FRAUD AGAINST THE SCARSDALE TAXPAYERS.

I DON'T HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH A VOLLY FIRE CHIEF USING THE CHIEF'S CAR FOR PERSONAL BUSINESS AS LONG AS IT IS WITHIN REASON. AFTER ALL HE IS VOLUNTEERING HIS TIME AND IS OR SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO RESPOND TO EMERGENCIES WHEN EVER HE IS IN THE CAR. MOST FIRE DISTRICTS HAVE RULES AND REGULATIONS REGARDING THE USE OF FIRE DEP'T VEHICLES.

Dinosaur likes this

Take home cars have long been part of the perks offered as part of compensation in the corporate world, both public and private sectors. This is used as a bargaining chip to attempt to get the best canidate for the position.

Unfortunatly, in the volunteer fire world, this same perk is extended, HOWEVER, as we have seen ALL TOO OFTEN, THE BEST CANIDATE IS NOT ALWAYS THE CHOICE...FD elections are still a good old boy's popularity contest. (YET another topic for another thread, and one more instance where we can be our own worst enemy).

I feel the most obvious case of abuse is the Chief Car parked at a train station while the Chief is at his job. He obviously can NOT respond quickly to an incident, if at all. That should be concern for his district.

Dinosaur likes this

Take home cars have long been part of the perks offered as part of compensation in the corporate world, both public and private sectors. This is used as a bargaining chip to attempt to get the best canidate for the position.

Unfortunatly, in the volunteer fire world, this same perk is extended, HOWEVER, as we have seen ALL TOO OFTEN, THE BEST CANIDATE IS NOT ALWAYS THE CHOICE...FD elections are still a good old boy's popularity contest. (YET another topic for another thread, and one more instance where we can be our own worst enemy).

I feel the most obvious case of abuse is the Chief Car parked at a train station while the Chief is at his job. He obviously can NOT respond quickly to an incident, if at all. That should be concern for his district.

Would you have the same problem with it if it was left at the fire house with the keys in it or if it was left at the individuals house instead?

Edited by bvfdjc316

Would you have the same problem with it if it was left at the fire house with the keys in it or if it was left at the individuals house instead?

It's not my problem, honestly, it is that particular district's.

MY Chief leaves his buggy at the firehouse with the keys in it in case it is needed while he is gone.

MY Deputy leaves his at home while he is at work, also available if needed, however, the keys are in his house, but accessible if need be.

I can honestly say that neither is too enamored with having a buggy that they are possesive of them. We are pretty lucky.