Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJMedic

Making Tires look clean and shiney

9 posts in this topic

Any tried and true methods to make tires look good? Washing and Amorall doesn't do a thing.

Use an all purpose cleaner like simple green, some water and a brush, spray, agitate and rinse. Then apply a protectant, Meguiars offers some of the best; available OTC at any auto parts store. Pressure washers work well too, but not as well as an apc.

That is the easiest way, you can get much more complicated (and spend a bunch of money on products).

Check out autogeek.net's forums for much much more information.

bigrig77 likes this

+1 on Meguiar's. Forget about Armorall for tires.

I can definitely recommend Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance High Gloss.

Looks good and long-lasting. A little bit goes a long way, too.

p84747b.jpg

Spec out a new $800,000 rig, then when it arrives, make sure the truck doesn't role to alarms. Tires should stay good as new.

Edited by PFDRes47cue

The only problem with back to black is that it is water soluble so it doesnt last long and it slings all over the side of your car...

The megs endurance is available in a spray bottle and an aerosol now too. I use the professional line hyper dressing and all season dressing.

There's a number of products out there that will produce the wet/shiny look. Whether one is better than the other(s) is a matter of trial and error.....and opinion.

I usually start by scrubbing a wet tire with Westley's Bleche-White (sp?). It's meant for whitewalls and white lettering, but cleans the rest of the tire as well. Then, once dry, apply the product of choice. Good thing about the more current products is that it doesn't make the tire look all yellow and grungy after a few weeks, like the aerosol foam stuff used to.

+1 on the bleche white, or spray 9 to pre clean- but don't do it all of the time (bad for tires). Do each tire individually- spray on, let it soak a second, and scrub like hell with a soapy scrub brush until you get a brown foam coming off the tires, then spray off and dry with a towel.

Don't forget to get the wheels and wheel wells with a non-harsh soap and a wet towel

Once dry if your the type to paint the raised letters on the tires ( on fire apparatus ) white with a grease pencil do it before application of any shiny garbage and let sit for 30 minutes.

THE ONLY "tire wet" product I use is Stoner More Shine- it produces more of a classier even matte shine and will not gunk up your wheel wells. Plus if you need to change your tire it's not really greasy as opposed to the alternatives.