Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest nyff123

Felons in the Firehouse

11 posts in this topic

I recently heard of a department voting in a member who is a convicted felon. Does your department do background checks on new members? Are we letting anyone who wants to join the department in?

While the Arson background check is mandatory I'm not sure your able to do a background check. Your concern is very valid though since we are given a great deal of trust when let into the homes of the public.

an agency i used to vollie for did "unofficial" checks through PD friends just to confirm they didn't have a criminal history. we did have one felon in the agency (computer hacking) but never had an issue with him at all

i would just say it's a decision based on the individual, the crime and dept

We also do a background check on people through the police, and references, and arson background checks. We also check with employers as well who also have information on people that we cant get.

But like EMSer said, I believe it has to do with the crime committed and the person they are. People can change. I wouldnt admit a killer or rapist, but if someone robbed a store, or computer hacking, thats different.

But around me, the only cons we will see are cow tippers and inbreaders... :rolleyes:

We do background checks through the sheriffs office and an arson check we also do a check of your driving record .

Not all criminal convictions are automatic disqualifiers from Fire, Police, and Military positions. It varies from agency to agency and has a lot to do with the individual.

Many applications to become a member ask if you have been convicted of a felony. I have seen were the answer was not truthful and the applicant was denied based on false information.

I don't think anyone with a higher class felony should be allowed in any emergency service under any conditions...period. With action comes consequence...many wouldnt be able to get hired as a professional with their convictions..why should it not be the same standard on the volunteer side?

Another good one, How many Departments do drug testing??? I believe this should also be done.

I would think the following would be a good set up for new applicants:

1 Background check

2 Arson check of course

3 Drug test

4 References

5 Physical

This would pretty much assure you that your are hiring a good applicant. Also having a good interview committee would be a asset.

As mentioned in a previous message you could be putting a total stranger in someone elses house whether it be a fire or EMS call, lots of liability their. :blink:

IN NYS a person with an arson conviction is ineligible to become a volunteer firefigther, unless they hold Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities. If one is presented, it is up to the fire company/department to determine if they want to deny membership. http://publicpersonnellaw.blogspot.com/2010/06/certificate-of-relief-from-civil.html The convicted person is also prevented from serving as a fire commissioner.