Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EFFD4091-MLSS emt

Where in the definition of "Volunteer" does it say lack responsibility?

8 posts in this topic

Where in the definition of "Volunteer" does it say lack responsibility? It seems to me to be the ever growing "attitude" within volunteers. Whether it is a new mandate for training , or a change in operations for better overall function of your home dept. It seems to me that the "excuse" of "I'm a volunteer, why should I have to take OSHA," or "I'm a volunteer why should I have to be at my ambulance when I am rostering that time." The last time I checked when I became a volunteer at the age of 16, I joined because it was something I enjoyed doing and wanted to help. Just because you don't receive any type of monetary payments does not mean you cant uphold yourself to the same standards as everyone else. I for one feel that without changing that outlook, volunteers will be a rapidly dying breed. Now for those that don't me, and may think I am "voly bashing" get your facts straight. I have been in my dept for 10 years, and put as many hours as any other active voly. I have not forgotten where I came from, and continue to provide the service and have the attitude as of a volunteer just as I would at work. The main objective of this topic is to answer the following ques. and agree or disagree with the above statement, (Because I am a volunteer I don't have to uphold responsibility.) Is this attitude moral oriented? Is it something that can be changed? If so how?

I felt the same way back when I was young, single, and spent every waking second in the firehouse or at classes.

Then along came a full time job, a wife, a kid, a mortgage, another kid, another job to pay for all that......and while I still volunteer - my time is limited and not as much as I would like. Things change.

I felt the same way back when I was young, single, and spent every waking second in the firehouse or at classes.

Then along came a full time job, a wife, a kid, a mortgage, another kid, another job to pay for all that......and while I still volunteer - my time is limited and not as much as I would like. Things change.

Those are understanding circumstances and you do what you can, but I am refering to growing population within the volunteer world that think its ok to Not show up to a rostered shift. or classes and use the term volunteer as a crutch to avoid responsibility......

helicopper likes this

If I could rep this post a thousand times, I would.

I'm so sick of this nonsense excuse for guys acting unprofessionally. They want the benefits of being considered an "employee" without the responsibilities. Like it or not you are in a position of public trust and you are held to a higher standard than the average citizen. And these are the same guys that say "career or volunteer doesn't matter, we're all the same." Legally, yes, you are the same. But you will only be viewed as equal by the general public when you act like a professional. That means training, that means demeanor, that means respect for your uniform and equipment. If you don't have any respect for yourself and your job then you can't expect anyone else to respect you.

"With great power comes great responsibility" -Uncle Ben

I agree with you brother. I have been here for 22 years, I am a captain now, and I see it way too much. The same old excuse every time the training schedule comes around, their too busy and have no time. But then when it comes time for the chief to pick someone for a task, they suddenly feel as if they are more than qualified? If you dont have the training you wont do the task. They cry all the time that its too much time...suck it up. You want to fight fires you need to know what your doing, yet they all think they can pack up right of the street with no training, and why, well ofcourse, because their daddy is or was chief, or their uncle, grand-daddy, mother, brother, sister, aunt....Does having a relative in the dept make you trained?? Dont think so.

I have a guy in my dept running around telling everyone he is trained as an interior firefighter, yet he cant give us certificates when asked. So one day I get sick of listening to the blowhard bragging and I call the fire coordinators office and request a copy of his training transcripts. What do I get? Two classes...Essentials and AVET. After an extensive argument at the firehouse I finaly got him to understand that you cant hide behind the term "Volunteer" and pretend to be what you are not. Essentials of back then is the equivilent of todays Scene Support Ops, I told him if he wants to be interior he has until fall to get Firefighter I, FBAA, and Firefighter Safety & Survival, then he has to get checked out at a drill.

Sorry for the rant, its kind of jumbled and off topic a little but its something that bothers me. We go into IDLH situations every time we get the call, and yet there are still volunteers that do not hold themsleves to the same training standards as the rest of us, and no one does anything about it. Not me, not any more, now that I am an officer things are going to change in my department. I would rather have 2 or 3 QUALIFIED interiors and have to rely on mutual aid more, than continue to have people with little to no training.

Stay safe out there.

daplachta and CFFD117 like this

Those are understanding circumstances and you do what you can, but I am refering to growing population within the volunteer world that think its ok to Not show up to a rostered shift. or classes and use the term volunteer as a crutch to avoid responsibility......

I think that's a question best answered by those in your department (if that's where the issue is) who "think its ok not to show up for a rostered shift." You might try to address your concerns with them and ask them why they have that attitude; I dare say that most people who regularly post here are most likely very active in the fire service and don't have that attitude you've described; all most of us can do is to speculate. I've been in the fire service for over 35 years and only recall hearing that defense used once; the person was asked to resign on the spot at the meeting, but hey not all departments are alike.

Edited by gamewell45

I think that's a question best answered by those in your department (if that's where the issue is) who "think its ok not to show up for a rostered shift." You might try to address your concerns with them and ask them why they have that attitude; I dare say that most people who regularly post here are most likely very active in the fire service and don't have that attitude you've described; all most of us can do is to speculate. I've been in the fire service for over 35 years and only recall hearing that defense used once; the person was asked to resign on the spot at the meeting, but hey not all departments are alike.

Not any real specific incidence just one of the many examples I can think of....