Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geppetto

Special report: Dial 911-FOR-PROFIT--Just don't tell a firehouse

11 posts in this topic

By Dan Levine and Martha Graybow

SAN FRANCISCO/NEW YORK (Reuters) - For-profit ambulance companies present American communities with an offer that's hard to refuse these days.

They will take over 911 emergency rescue service at little or no charge to cash-short cities and counties and promise to bring down labor costs spent on public employees.

But leaders of this growing industry face an unusual business obstacle: Sooty firefighters, who are among the most potent symbols of American trustworthiness and selfless valor.

For the men and women in fire departments, this is no drill. With fewer fires to fight as building codes have improved, providing emergency medical service (EMS) has become a big part of what they do....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/15/us-ambulance-idUSTRE73E3D720110415

In my humble opinion, this right here is why EMS will always be a job not a career like the FD/PD.

SageVigiles likes this

Why not there are some Dept.s that have the commercial EMS contracted to their areas respond on AFA's. What use in a Ambulance at a fire if the Engine is 15 minutes behind them consoling the home owner as they watch their house burn down?

JetPhoto likes this

Why not there are some Dept.s that have the commercial EMS contracted to their areas respond on AFA's. What use in a Ambulance at a fire if the Engine is 15 minutes behind them consoling the home owner as they watch their house burn down?

Yeah, but their response times look great, its all smoke and mirrors. People who think their taxes are going to fire/police/EMS love it when they get a bill from the paid service.

This is kinda scary to witness. Lets all watch as something that could be a revenue generating program for a municipality goes private. Just like everything else is going the way of private sector these days. Its all under the guise of cutting municipal budgets. I should just set up a private firefighting company and undersell municipal firefighters in various cities because then I could bill for a fire and ease a cities tax burden. I could pay my employees garbage and make good profit. Its the American way.

I should just set up a private firefighting company and undersell municipal firefighters in various cities because then I could bill for a fire and ease a cities tax burden. I could pay my employees garbage and make good profit. Its the American way.

Its been done....Rural/Metro and after the high performance model they used, NYS outlawed them.

This is kinda scary to witness. Lets all watch as something that could be a revenue generating program for a municipality goes private.

You think this is revenue generating for the public sector?

That actually brings up a question I have. I don't do EMS therefore I don't know much about how it works in various areas. I know that in New Fairfield the town pays the private company for the contract to provide ALS services. Then the private company comes in and responds to calls and bills the patients insurance. Is that the normal way its done? Does it seem fair that they essentially get paid coming and going like that?

Said "Could be" also, I work for public ems and we bill people with a vengeance, so its not like we dont try

That actually brings up a question I have. I don't do EMS therefore I don't know much about how it works in various areas. I know that in New Fairfield the town pays the private company for the contract to provide ALS services. Then the private company comes in and responds to calls and bills the patients insurance. Is that the normal way its done? Does it seem fair that they essentially get paid coming and going like that?

This is not uncommon. Most commercial services require a return on their investment, the exception is when they are willing to reduce cost in exchange for a 1st time contract. Some communities are able to get "zero" dollar contracts, because the call volume and the local collection rate justifies it as the commercial service can meet the require return on investment. In slower systems the service would loss money, so they require the community makes up the difference.

The community may also desire a higher level of service, i.e. we want 3 ambulances, but the collection rate will only cover 2 ambulances. The community may opt to pay for the 3rd unit.

some areas its done like that, but if the agency that is actually moving the patient is usually the only one that can actually bill. IE if a flycar medic meets up with the ambulance or what not. The ambulance that moves the patient to the hospital can bill. If they get the ALS report of the patient they can further bill for the ALS that was done enroute to the hospital. But only one agency can bill the patient not two, it would be a conflict and a giant headach with medicaid and care... which well set the standard for billing in healthcare theses days. So the transporting agency would recieve the ALS payment for the transport so it could bump the bill up another 500 dollars or so to make it about 1000 or so just by ball park figures.