Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Police ask for $4.5 million to stock up on Crown Victorias

13 posts in this topic

I've noticed a lot of other agencies are doing this as well.

Austin police ask for $4.5 million to stock up on Crown Victorias

Deborah Cannon /AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Published: 7:18 p.m. Sunday, April 17, 2011

Before the face of police cars changes forever, Austin police are hoping to buy one more group of Crown Victorias this year.

Police are asking the city for $4.5 million to buy 176 Crown Victorias before Ford discontinues the iconic patrol car. Officials say the request will go before the City Council on Thursday.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.statesman.com/news/local/austin-police-ask-for-4-5-million-to-1409441.html

I've seen it too, but the same department also picked up a couple of Tauruses as D.B. or ranking officer unmarked units.

I can understand being skittish about a new type of car that hasn't been extensively tested in the field, and the maintenance costs that are related. But couldn't that money be used to buy extra parts for the Taurus P.I. fleet that they are going to have to build up?

They may have an extensive supply of parts for the Crown Vic that need to be used. Also buying a small number of the Taurus allows the mechanics to become familiar with they car and any maintenance quirks they may have once in service. This may prevent a large number of cars from being out of service once the Taurus is the main patrol vehicle. For example when the NYPD first got the Impalas it was found that they had low ground clearance on the front ends, leading to bumpers and even a few oil pans getting ripped off.

The problem with this is that these cars will probably sit in a lot and never be driven before the factory warranty is up. Happens all the time.

The problem with this is that these cars will probably sit in a lot and never be driven before the factory warranty is up. Happens all the time.

Just curious, how is the factory warranty on a vehicle like this effected by use at a law enforcement agency. Is it the same as if grandpa had bought it, or does the interceptor package have a special warranty that includes/excludes certain items?

Its a 3/36 regular Ford warranty although most cars will hit 36k miles before the 3 yrs.

It should be emphasized that equipment swapover is a huge issue. Things like lightbars, cages, MDT mounts, etc won't fit the new Ford PI, and that it would cost a lot more to outfit new vehicles.

Also, they want to thoroughly test all the new models coming out, to see which will fit their needs best- this goes for mechanics, many of which have Ford training and certifications, and for patrol officers. And it's the old addage....never buy the first model year of a car. I think also that the Michican State Police and California Highway Patrol extenively test police package vehicles, and their findings become a benchmark. I don't think that any of these new vehicles have gone through their paces yet on a track.

Also, Texas DPS (Texas Highway Patrol) has ordered hundreds of Crown Vic's to stock up. It's my understanding that numerous other agencies are doing the same, and Crown Vic PI sales are some of the highest ever...which is why Ford is maybe dragging it's feet a little.

Its a 3/36 regular Ford warranty although most cars will hit 36k miles before the 3 yrs.

Except for when they leave them in the lot parked for 2 years, or more, in some cases I am aware of.

helicopper likes this

It should be emphasized that equipment swapover is a huge issue. Things like lightbars, cages, MDT mounts, etc won't fit the new Ford PI, and that it would cost a lot more to outfit new vehicles.

I've actually heard the opposite, that the new Fords are backwards compatible, at least interior equipment-wise, with the CVPI. Of course, even if they aren't, that's still not going to keep some agencies from trying to cram the old stuff into the new cars. :rolleyes:

This is interesting...

You know there's another fleet of vehicles who's owners are stocking up the very same way. These cars are driven further, harder and all in a shorter amount of time. The TAXI CAB! Corporations that own large lots of NYC medallions are stuck trying to figure out what to replace the Crown Vic with. While you might see more and more Escapes and such, nothing has replaced the CV as the workhorse.

Separately, on the police package note: All of the photo's of the new line of PD vehicles have done a great job of showing off how great the car can look with PD graphics and lights. What they tend not to focus on is the one major area where they can't compete with the Vic. Interior space for the officers and all the necessary gear. They just don't have the same interior room to accommodate weapons, storage, electronics and two officers with vests and equipment on. I'm not a cop, I've only been in them a couple of times (IN THE FRONT, NOT THE BACK!!!) so I'll defer to the the opinions of the experts, but it really seems that they're just not spacious enough.

M Ave I sat in the new caprice and the new Ford. I have to say the new Ford I thought had a lot of room. The chevy I was not really a fan of for a number of reasons. Right now anything has to be better then driving the Impala which is really the only vehicle left down in the city. Very few Vics left in some PCTs. I miss the vic already only because we have only 1 left where I am.

I've been in the back of several impalas, a vic, and even an altima. While none have been with bracelets the Vic was far and away the most spacious. The other two my back is facing one door and my legs are facing the other. Had I been a perp the officer would literally have to lift me out of these smaller cars.