Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnvv

Proper staffing levels in the fire service

8 posts in this topic

Another example of why engineered fire protection in structures can't replace proper staffing levels in the fire service.

My link

My link

Edited by johnvv

Another example of why engineered fire protection in structures can't replace proper staffing levels in the fire service.

My link

My link

I am surprised that this thread has not generated much discussion, we need to be putting this out there so that those controlling the purse strings realize that boots on the ground are still needed even with all the safety bells and whistles! Thanks for posting this!

You are far too right John..and Mark we both know how that goes. I mean isn't every roman supposed to have his own chariot? Isn't a 4 firefighter guaranteed first alarm assignment enough? Oh that's right but its ok because no one has gotten hurt, killed and after 5 pm the statistics improve.

I cannot disagree with the assertion that we need to work from every angle for better staffing, but are we losing people to sprinkler systems? Where have the sprinkler systems been argued to allow a reduction in firefighting forces?

NIST.....NFPA.......the seattle study, and any other proactive fire service report, will tell you that a 4 man crew consisting of an officer, a driver, and 2 firefighters is a bare minimum to an effective fire company doing their job safely and effectively.

NIST.....NFPA.......the seattle study, and any other proactive fire service report, will tell you that a 4 man crew consisting of an officer, a driver, and 2 firefighters is a bare minimum to an effective fire company doing their job safely and effectively.

Bare minimum should be highlighted underscored and in italics! The chauffeur drives, hooks up and pumps. The officer takes a dash in to see what's going on and where the line should go, then he's tasked with directing the operation. That leaves 2 poor bastards to stretch hose? YIKES! We're talking about a lot of time and backbreaking work, especially for the back-up guy. How much running back and forth, clearing the hose past corners and getting extra slack, can one guy do?

We're down to 4 firemen in addition to the officer on every engine and it shows! Missing that 5th man on the back-step adds precious minutes to a stretch. It's been proven that the addition of 1 firemen on the line cuts the time needed to put it in operation IN HALF.

Staffing is everything. Training is important, so is equipment. Our commissioner loves to tote every little innovation, project and purchase as something that makes us the "best trained, best equipped fire department". (Believe me, the men get quite a laugh out of that line....) If you don't have staffing, you have nothing. That's the single most important component of firefighting.

791075 and antiquefirelt like this

Ive witnessed 2 man engine companys for 23 years, all with negative results!!!

Bare minimum should be highlighted underscored and in italics! The chauffeur drives, hooks up and pumps. The officer takes a dash in to see what's going on and where the line should go, then he's tasked with directing the operation. That leaves 2 poor bastards to stretch hose? YIKES! We're talking about a lot of time and backbreaking work, especially for the back-up guy. How much running back and forth, clearing the hose past corners and getting extra slack, can one guy do?

We're down to 4 firemen in addition to the officer on every engine and it shows! Missing that 5th man on the back-step adds precious minutes to a stretch. It's been proven that the addition of 1 firemen on the line cuts the time needed to put it in operation IN HALF.

Staffing is everything. Training is important, so is equipment. Our commissioner loves to tote every little innovation, project and purchase as something that makes us the "best trained, best equipped fire department". (Believe me, the men get quite a laugh out of that line....) If you don't have staffing, you have nothing. That's the single most important component of firefighting.

You do the possible. The impossible will just have to wait.